tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma - a second round prospect?

Its obvious to everyone that an upgrade at the Tight End position is needed. McMichael isnt expected to be back as he is a unrestricted free agent, and Daniel Fells and Billy Bajema are depth guys at best. So the Rams need a new started at TE.

Gresham is still thought to be the number 1 TE in the draft despite missing his last season through a knee injury. Obviously his combine showings will be important, but if he shows that the knee injury hasnt hindered his ability then he could very well be worth consideration.

If Gresham is there at the top of round 2 then the Rams have to be looking his way. However, if the Rams pick up a starting TE in free agency like Tony Scheffler or Ben Watson, its unlikely they will pick Gresham, instead focusing on one of the many other positions that the team could use an upgrade at.

But whoever is starting at QB for the Rams in 2010 would benefit from having a good, young receiving talent at the TE spot. Be it Bulger, a free agent addition, or a rookie QB.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma - a second round prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Its obvious to everyone that an upgrade at the Tight End position is needed. McMichael isnt expected to be back as he is a unrestricted free agent, and Daniel Fells and Billy Bajema are depth guys at best. So the Rams need a new started at TE.

Gresham is still thought to be the number 1 TE in the draft despite missing his last season through a knee injury. Obviously his combine showings will be important, but if he shows that the knee injury hasnt hindered his ability then he could very well be worth consideration.

If Gresham is there at the top of round 2 then the Rams have to be looking his way. However, if the Rams pick up a starting TE in free agency like Tony Scheffler or Ben Watson, its unlikely they will pick Gresham, instead focusing on one of the many other positions that the team could use an upgrade at.

But whoever is starting at QB for the Rams in 2010 would benefit from having a good, young receiving talent at the TE spot. Be it Bulger, a free agent addition, or a rookie QB.

Agreed. If we go with the BPA draft strategy then he certainly gets a long look if he's there at the top of the second round.

Also, if we are going to build a team where a young QB can come in and succeed, be it a rookie we draft this year or in the next few years, having a good, young, talented safety yet on third downs is vital

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Rob Gronkowski out of Arizona recently declared and is also considered to be a top TE prospect for the 2010 draft. Having a big receiving target for 3rd downs and the redzone but also a guy who's able to help out and block would be a nice addition to the offense.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Tomahawk

I like J. Gresham a lot also, but I have a hard time thinking he'll get past teams like the Bengals or even the Tardinals.

Certainly would be nice but Gresham should be healthy enough to work out for teams soon and his stock will be arisen' then.

WHAT SAY YE?

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

I would LOVE to grab Gresham. In the NFL the recieving Tight End is an intricate part of the offense. If you notice the three top Tight Ends in the NFL were all in the playoffs; Gates, Witten, Clark.

A Tight End is a QBs best friend. If we could get him round 2 and draft Suh round 1...I'd get REALLY excited.

RockinRam is online now Registered User

J-Gres would provide us with something we haven't had for a long while...a consistent receiving threat in the redzone. For some reason, all our WR's and TE's on the current roster are minimal redzone threats, and J-Gres would change that.

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

I agree that gresham is really good. I know we are going to need a tight end cause mcmichael was awful. Fells is pretty good, but we could use another.

In that spot in the second round i would rather fill with a receiver spot or go defense again. I am wondering why no1 talks about golden tate in the second round. Is it because he won't last that long or did none of you see him? That guy is a playmaker , he's gota be top three on receiver lists in the draft,IMO.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

i had this same thread like a few weeks ago

If we cannot sign sheffler and Gresham is available in the 2nd we have to consider him

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SJacks039 View Post
    I agree that gresham is really good. I know we are going to need a tight end cause mcmichael was awful. Fells is pretty good, but we could use another.

In that spot in the second round i would rather fill with a receiver spot or go defense again. I am wondering why no1 talks about golden tate in the second round. Is it because he won't last that long or did none of you see him? That guy is a playmaker , he's gota be top three on receiver lists in the draft,IMO.
    There's probably going to be a number of good receivers available at the top of the 2nd.. USC's Damian Williams, LSU's Brandon LaFell, Illinois' Arrelious Benn and the aforementioned Golden Tate Warrior. I'd like to see us get somebody with some height who is a real red zone target.

I have no objection to getting a WR, however i believe that TE is a position more in need of an upgrade. We have a lot of youth at WR that can be serviceable, but we dont have enough at TE right now.

I also doubt that Gresham falls to us at the start of the second, and i believe the Bengals will give him a serious look. But each year a player or two that are expected to be first round picks slide out into the second. We took advantage of that last year with Laurinaitis, and i expect us to do the same again this year.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post

Very well said. This team is in serious need of an upgrade at tight end, and if they can't rope someone in as a free agent, the draft could provide an answer. If Gresham is there at the top of round two, he'd be awfully tempting.

I've said in the past that I think this team needs a true #1 receiver, but I think if the Rams had a legitimate weapon at tight end, the current personnel @ receiver would look better.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I'm not opposed to it but I'd personally love to get Tony Scheffler because he's a proven, young TE who can do it all.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I'm not opposed to it but I'd personally love to get Tony Scheffler because he's a proven, young TE who can do it all.
    of course picking up a proven TE like Scheffler in Free Agency would be great and would allow us to concentrate on other areas in the draft. But Scheffler will likely be the best free agent TE on the market, and is only being allowed to leave Denver because Josh McDaniels is mental. I imagine a team is going to give Scheffler a good contract, and im not sure he would want to go to a team like the lowly Rams.

However if the Rams dont get Scheffler, and Gresham is around in the 2nd, they have to look hard.

I dont think it escaped Spags and Davaney that San Francisco won games and scored points with Shaun Hill and Alex Smith at QB because they both had Vernon Davis to throw to. Gresham isnt the talent Davis is, but having that good option at TE can help the passing game considerably

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i like him...i also like gronkowski out of arizona if he falls to the 3rd, he was given a first-round grade.