throwback week

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Is Jermaine Wiggins an option for the Rams?

From the Minneapolis Star Tribune regarding the release of tight end Jermaine Wiggins...

Thursday's most notable departure might have been Wiggins, the Vikings' leading receiver in 2004 and 2005. He caught 140 passes during that span but was not a good fit for Childress' precision offense, slipping to 46 receptions in 2006.

Like Johnson, Wiggins asked the Vikings to let him leave and hopes to find a system that better fits his skills. St. Louis, coached by former Vikings offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, is a top option.

"After the season," Wiggins said, "I pretty much said I felt like I wanted to go in a different direction, and I felt like they wanted to go in a different direction."

At his best, Wiggins glides into open spaces created by the defense. Last season, he was less effective while running more traditional patterns.

"I feel like I've proven that I can be among the top pass-catching tight ends in the NFL," Wiggins said. "I feel like if I go to a team that is going to say, 'Hey, do what you can do and make plays,' I still feel like I can be among the top 10 in the NFL. I still have plenty left in the tank."
    The Rams were on record last offseason as saying they'd like to add a veteran tight end in the mix. Bringing in someone like Wiggins, who knows Linehan's system and is an established vet, could help the progress of our own young tight ends. I'm kind of interested to see how this story develops.

Rampage39 Guest

Re: Is Jermaine Wiggins an option for the Rams?

You may have a point there Nick. Even though Wiggins isn't much of a red zone target, he would definitely help us move the chains with those short dump routes he is known for. He may also help speed the learning curve for Klop and Byrd because he knows Linehan's system so well. I definitely think Wiggins to St. Louis is a strong possibility.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

he def. hurt us in superbowl 36 with the pats... this would be an awesome pickup

serkicker32 Guest

I think Byrd resimbles him in build and ability so maybe he'll be more apt to learn from him

keith m. klink Guest

i'm not so sure about this one. the ram's were talking about a veteran blocking te, not another pass catcher. klop, and byrd are pass catchers , and klop has been working non-stop to get the blocking down on the coachs orders, because we only had one blocking te with minimal experience in ( whats his name) erin shea, or arin walker , or something like that , i can't exactly remember . but bringing him in doesn't seem like something we would do, maybe i'm wrong, i've always liked him though, but i don't think i would want him as of right now, with the two rookies we just got.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

I can certainly see the link with him and Linehan,who like most coaches likes to have guys around him who he knows.Another FA who I could see him having an interest in is Dolphins RB Sammy Morris..:l

Drew Guest

also former vikings OG chris lewienski(or however the hell ya spell it!)

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

We have Klop, Byrd, and Walker was just resigned so I'm not so sure a vet TE is in the mix at this point.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

keith m. klink Guest

i think you are correct with that assumption ramman68, klop worked on his blocking all year and was doing ( extreamly well said linehan), even though he is a pass catcher, the changeover to an all around TE is going very well. byrd, ( if we can stay out of trouble, and i did not agree with this pick at all last year)is a pass catcher with potential red zone stardom, and the signing of aaron walker as a blocking end i would think gives us a very young and upcoming corps of te's.

Walker impressed the staff in practices last summer but is no guarantee to be with the team. Byrd's situation with the law is up in the air, as he pleaded not guilty to assault charges last week and will go on trial in July. Who knows what happens there. I don't think it's out of the question to think that the Rams could bring Wiggins in and let Byrd and Walker fight it out for that #3 tight end spot.

Let's remember, we're not setting our 53-man active roster in March. We can sign some guys, take them to camp, and see what happens. The fact that Wiggins was incredibly productive under Linehan makes him an intriguing free agent option.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Let's remember, we're not setting our 53-man active roster in March. We can sign some guys, take them to camp, and see what happens. The fact that Wiggins was incredibly productive under Linehan makes him an intriguing free agent option.
    I hear what you are saying Nick, but at this point in FA, I think addressing the D is more of a priority over a TE right now. Maybe once the dust settles they would go shopping for offense. But then again, one never knows what this FO is thinking.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    I hear what you are saying Nick, but at this point in FA, I think addressing the D is more of a priority over a TE right now.
    I don't think it's a "one or the other" scenario though. I don't think an organization is going to find much success from a personnel standpoint if they enter into free agency with a one-track mind and don't address other potential options at other positions until priority #1 is taken care of. We are hopefully capable of attacking the free agent market from more than one front.

Obviously if Wiggins wants a big contract he's not going to be much of an option for us, but at 32 years old going after him likely won't take much away from what we're able to add on defense.

keith m. klink Guest

nick, you make agreat point, and i'm sure as your sure , that the rams take all things into consideration. but we signed walker already, i am almost certain , to a 1year deal. so he is in the picture already. i think that is correct, if someone else has the poo, please correct me. but your points are well taken, and we have seen that linehan does like players he is familiar with. case in point ( james hall) beat the hell outa the vikings. so i understand your points.you make a good debate on your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    we signed walker already, i am almost certain , to a 1year deal. so he is in the picture already.
    Aaron Walker was tendered an offer sheet as a restricted free agent. This gives him a salary of at least $850K (could be higher but I doubt it) with no signing bonus. Thus, we have no true financial obligation to him. We can take him into camp and, if he doesn't work out, cut him and take no cap hit while eliminating that entire salary from the books. Tendering Walker really doesn't mean much in the long-term.