Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jerome Carter

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Re: Jerome Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Teams that play the 3-4 defense have pretty massive OLBs. The Pats have McGinest (6'5", 270) and Rosevelt Colvin (6'3", 250). The Steelers have Clark Haggans (6'4", 243) and Joey Porter (6'3", 250). When converting a player to play OLB in the 3-4, you're much more likely to convert a speed pass rushing DE than you are to convert a SS. That's because they're rush backers who will likely be asked to engage an offensive tackle in some situations; defensive end-type players fit this bill. A 225-pound Carter get blown off the line if he were giving up 75 pounds and a load of strength to an OT. We'd be better off asking Little to make the transition than Carter.
    It's more hope than anything. I like the way he plays and I would love to see him closer up to the line, because I like how he plays the run. A player that we slid up into a base 3-4 on passing situations and then let him blitz behind Hargorve or Little. Much in the same way that Pittsburgh uses Polomalu.

The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    A player that we slid up into a base 3-4 on passing situations and then let him blitz behind Hargorve or Little. Much in the same way that Pittsburgh uses Polomalu.
    That's the point though. One, Little and Hargrove would likely not be lining up at DE in a 3-4. And again, if Carter was playing OLB in a 3-4 on passing downs, he'd solely have to be responsible for coverages. Because if he's blitzing, then odds are he's going to get picked up by a lineman and blown away. And there goes our blitz.

You have bigger stronger OLBs in this package so that if they can't get by the lineman they can at least contend with him and try to get off the block and get to the passer. I don't think Carter would be able to do that at all.

Besides, Pittsburgh uses Polamalu from the strong safety position, not as an OLB.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    If you don't play it doens't mean you cant tackle?
    No. It means that, if tackling is your number one problem in the secondary, the guy who isn't starting is unlikely to be the better tackler.

You really think that he didn't start because he couldn't tackle? Thats a bogus statement. He didn't start becuase he wasnt ready to and he didn't know the playbook. Not that he couldn't tackle.
    Carter had a leg up on Furrey, who was transitioning from a completely different side of the ball, due to his experience at the position. He couldn't get on the field. "He wasn't ready" is a euphamism for "couldn't get the job done." And if he can't get it done at safety, why would he better after adding 30 pounds and playing out of position against guys even bigger and more experienced?

With leaps of logic like that, you're likely to fall in an intellectual ravine.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Wouldn't it make more sense to just draft or sign an outside linebacker if that's what you want? I don't get the urge to move guys from position to position. 99% of the time it spells trouble.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Arch or Carter will likely move to lb and the other will be the safety would be my guess. But, we will likely go after depth via FA and the draft

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

If we were really deep at safety at the moment, I might consider trying one of the guys at a different position. We're not. We could afford to try Furrey at safety because we had plenty of other good recievers. At the moment, I'd rather see everybody stick to whatever they're best at right now and not experiment. Best not to erode what talent we have at one position to fill another unless we are totally unable to find any options in free agency or the draft. I don't think that will be a problem at OLB this year.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Don't know anbout you fella's but everytime I see a suggestion for guys to bulk up or lose weight and shift positions I get nervous.

Keep him where he is and give him some time. He wasn't the only one to get a little lost last year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12