39thebeast is offline Registered User

Jim Thomas on the Second Round

Jim Thomas: The options are dwindling almost by the hour in free agency. We're talking Bryant Johnson, D.J. Hackett and Javon Walker. I guess there could always be a trade. (Roy Williams? Chad Johnson?)
    I think there's pretty good depth at WR in the draft, although I've yet to study that position very closely. But there's certainly not a top 5 type in the draft pool. Here's what I see right now, realizing this is a moving target. If the Rams come up with veteran help at WR before the draft, they strongly consider taking a CB in the second round. (No. 33 overall) If they come up with veteran help at CB before the draft, they strongly consider talking a WR in the second round.

It looks like he sees us taking a CB or WR, I don't think CB is a huge need, but we will see

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Jim Thomas on the Second Round

I believe CB is a HUGE need for this squad. But as JT said, if we get a WR before the draft, then we go CB in the draft. And the other way around. Smart thinking. But I would say safety can be thrown into the mix.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Why would we choose which position to draft for at a certain spot before seeing the value on the board? I think C, G, OT, WR, DE, SS and CB (in no particular order) should all be considerations at #33. While some of these positions are a little more pressing than others, both need AND value will be considerations when it's our turn to pick.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I would very much say that a safety is much more of a need than CB, especially considering that we haven't seen what Wade can really do. He should be playing the nickel this year if he's at all good enough to start someday. Meanwhile, Chavous has lost a step, cost us the whiners game in the dome in my opinion, and has become a liability.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

CB might be an area to address, but I don't think we should be spending a high pick on it. We already have young players in Hill, Bartell, and Wade. If anything we could use another veteran defensive back.

I've been saying since Bruce was cut that a WR at the top of round two makes a lot of sense, and I still think that. If the Rams could get someone like Devin Thomas, Andre Caldwell, or Early Doucet in that spot, that'd be some pretty good value IMO.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I agree, I think with Bruce gone we need to go after a WR in the 2nd round. We need to get younger and faster at that position.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    CB might be an area to address, but I don't think we should be spending a high pick on it. We already have young players in Hill, Bartell, and Wade. If anything we could use another veteran defensive back.

I've been saying since Bruce was cut that a WR at the top of round two makes a lot of sense, and I still think that. If the Rams could get someone like Devin Thomas, Andre Caldwell, or Early Doucet in that spot, that'd be some pretty good value IMO.
    I agree with taking a WR in the 2nd round, but not if we select Jake Long in the 1st. In that case I think we have to go DE in round 2.

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

maybe Limus Sweed from Texas will slip to us...

Quote Originally Posted by serkicker32 View Post
    maybe Limus Sweed from Texas will slip to us...
    Unless he's going to miss some of the season, he's not dropping below Tennessee, sorry. I can't believe that they aren't going WR in the 1st for Vince Young, especially after Hanesworth ripped them today. Even more so, I can't believe that they won't pick up one of his former teammates, hoping that they have an instant rapport.

As long as we have a starting center and one more backup for the O line, I can see waiting past the second round, especially if a quality wide receiver is there. I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not this is a deep or shallow class of receivers, but I think it's pretty deep, myself. What is very shallow is the safeties, and so if a top safety drops to us, I think we need to pounce on him.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I think WR in round 2 makes a fair bit of sense.

No Bruce, no true #3 WR (assuming Bennet is #2) and neither of our starters are spring chickens. Holt is 31 and Bennett going on 30.

I think you can valdiate a case for a DE or an OT aswell, depending on what position we don't pick at #2 overall. Let's not forget that we're still missing a starting rush end, and round three might be cutting it a bit fine when it comes to finding a good one.

Corner, I don't think we'll consider there. There's already an influx of youth at the position.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I'd say DE is a much greater need than WR. We at least have two guys who have gotten done in the NFL at various points in their career at WR. We have one aging lineman who did nothing last year and a guy who is only a run stuffer at DE.

If we draft Jake Long or Dorsey in the first round, I have to believe we'll go DE and then WR in rounds 2 and 3. If we draft C. Long, I have to believe its going to be an OT and then a WR. Nothing else makes sense to me in terms of value in the draft and need on our roster, assuming nobody slips unexpectedly.

I think we can and will go WR in round two, because I can see one of them slipping as teams trade back into round one to grab Flacco and Brohm. I don't see any of the OT's falling as I think they'll get sucked up by the early 20's at this point. The OT class is a deep one, and so I think as long as we're satisfied with the health of Pace on draft day, we can wait till round 3 to pick one up that slips from round 2.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I believe CB is a HUGE need for this squad.
    You could have Deion Sanders and Rod Woodson in their prime, but if your pass rush is an aging and gimpy Leonard Little on one side and the run-stop-only Vic Adeyanju on the other......they too would look less than adequate.

Get us a pass rush, and watch how much better our current CB's look.
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-06-2008 at 02:39 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, looks like I may be able to keep my "inner Cartman" hidden afterall.