Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    harrydog is offline Registered User

Re: Jim Tressel, EDM: Take Vernon Gholston!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Not at number 2, trade back and I could live with it...
    Trading back and being able to grab Gholston or Dorsey while picking up additional 2nd rounder and probably more would be the best possible scenario for us. Not likely to happen, but you never know.

falconsfan is offline Registered User

there is no way dorsey is making it past atlanta.....we love him over here.

and dont seem surprised if the raiders take gohlston at 4..taking him at 2 would not be much of a reach at all. nothing like taking ginn at 9 LOL i still cant believe that.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by falconsfan View Post
    and dont seem surprised if the raiders take gohlston at 4..taking him at 2 would not be much of a reach at all.
    Exactly, especially since Gholston is still very much in the mix as a contender to go first overall to Miami.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

If c. long goes to the fins, and we end up with gholston, i can see him playing a 3-4 outsider LB now that chillar is gone, and james hall and little still at DE. Gholston can be just as productive as a linebacker, just needs help with his footwork.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Gholston is the wild card in this bunch. I have Ohio State fans all over me (girlfriend is from Ohio and brother is a major Buckeyes fan) that are lukewarm on him. Said if the Rams are playing Arizona, don't expect much. If they are playing the Patriots, he'll be a monster.

Don't know what to say about that, I didn't watch half as many Big 10 games as I did the SEC.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Gholston is the wild card in this bunch. I have Ohio State fans all over me (girlfriend is from Ohio and brother is a major Buckeyes fan) that are lukewarm on him. Said if the Rams are playing Arizona, don't expect much. If they are playing the Patriots, he'll be a monster.

Don't know what to say about that, I didn't watch half as many Big 10 games as I did the SEC.
    Charles Davis on NFLN asked the same basic question.......paraphrasing: Will Gholston show up against the Bills when nobody is watching?

I'd love to jump on the Gholston Love Train, but that's a question that still has not been answered.
    Vernon Gholston: The biggest thing about me, I say if you can do both, why not do both? It makes you versatile. If I have to say one, I'd say 4-3, down DE.
    Very glad to hear that. I could see the Jets or Pats snapping at him as a 3-4 OLB, but if he's here, he'll have to put his hand in the dirt.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog
    Gholston is more of an elite athlete than C. Long and has more upside potential.
    Hm, that's interesting, harry. What leads you to think that?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

[QUOTEGholston is more of an elite athlete than C. Long and has more upside potential.][/QUOTE]

I find it strange the C.Long will not get any better, I have read this twice today on this board. He is going to be a rookie in the NFL. A rookie, I think he has a long way to go as far as becoming a great NFL player. He has to get better, like all the rookies coming in.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

None of us really know how these guys are going to pan out...it's funny that we all make these predictions so that maybe (in some cases, not all posters are this way) we can say I told you so.

I say this about the top 4, a DE that will make an immediate impact is by far the most important thing this Rams team needs but I'll be happy with any of these guys that are projected. There still is Round 2 folks.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Rambos, that's exactly what I've been thinking as well. The comments about Gholston having more upside than Long are true, in that Gholston has only played defense for five years, his senior year in high school and then for four years at Ohio State. For his first two years at OSU, he sucked. A lot. He played in 8 total games and came away with one tackle, not for loss. His last two years, in 26 games, he amassed 86 tackles, 30.5 TFL and 22.5 sacks. Good loss and sack stats, but for a lineman/backer hybrid who isn't just rushing the passer but also is back in coverage, I would think that a true football player would be making more tackles and plays past the line of scrimmage. Even more so when said hybrid position moves him around to avoid double teams. Also note that his tackles by year were 49 and then 37. He actually made LESS tackles this past year than the one before.

For comparison sake, Chris Long, in his only season(13 games) playing in a 4-3 amassed 79 tackles, 19 TFL, and 14.5 sacks. If you expand that to two seasons, you get 158 tackles, 38 TFL, and 29 sacks, all eclipsing Gholston's two years. Also his tackles went from 57 to 79, which would make sense for a developing football player.

So what are the big questions? Well, the ones that I have never seen answered are:
    1) Which Gholston shows up for a non-sellout game against the Bills?
    2) Is Gholston a true football player or is he an athlete that plays football and when the pressure is on him and he's double teamed will just hit the wall and give up? He's only liked football since he was dragged into it by his high school coach. Yes, he likes the Rams, but that's not a reason to take him. When he was the focal point of opposing offenses, his tackles went down. Chris Long's went continually upwards.
    3) Has Gholston developed the skills needed for the NFL or has he ridden on his superior athletic abilities up until now?

We know Chris Long works constantly on his technique and is always analyzing film on himself and his opponents to get better. He actively search out slights against him by the opposing team's fans to get himself riled up. What does Gholston do to start himself up?

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Not at number 2, trade back and I could live with it...
    Who do you want to trade with? You cannot trade below 5 or 6 because the NY Jets will likely take him at #6. If you want him you'll have to take him at #2 and listen to the post-draft talk about "the Rams reached for him"

Go Rams!:r

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Who do you want to trade with? You cannot trade below 5 or 6 because the NY Jets will likely take him at #6. If you want him you'll have to take him at #2 and listen to the post-draft talk about "the Rams reached for him"

Go Rams!:r
    Or maybe not even that far. I'm not sure the Raiders pass on Gholston at 4. Convince the 'cons that Dorsey will be a Ram, and they might bite.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Or maybe not even that far. I'm not sure the Raiders pass on Gholston at 4. Convince the 'cons that Dorsey will be a Ram, and they might bite.
    Hub, you are right. There will be some team like the Raiders who will jump at Gholston. What has me amazed is reading some of the Mock Drafts that have Dorsey going as late as #9 to the Bengals and this is after his Pro-Day. I live in NY where I've seen Parcells twice and instinct tells me he will go for Dorsey at #1 because there is now the value there based on his Pro-Day. Bill loves defense and Dorsey is going to be a the DT equivalent of Lawrence Taylor.

Go Rams:r

Rambos is offline Registered User

Then I guess I don't want him. I can't see the Rams reaching for him at 2 with J. Long on the board. That could, not would, just could come back to hurt the Rams big time.

Sure I would like to hit a home run with every stock I own, but sometimes it's best to buy IMB instead of the latest .com that comes down the pike. Take the sure money,you want to hit a home run, do it with some fun money, not your 401K. Right TX.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I dont know guys. I think Gholston has shown that he is a top 5 worthy pick. And I do believe he'll make an impact on our team.

I'm a strict believer that the Phins will take Chris Long and we will end up with Vernon Gholston. I really think it will play out that way.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast