Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    harrydog is offline Registered User

Re: Jim Tressel, EDM: Take Vernon Gholston!

Boys, boys....calm down. You know it doesn't matter, right? We're taking C. Long if he's there. The real debate is Gholston or Dorsey.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Tony you mean this Hargrove... The guy we cut due to off field issuea. He really is not the guy you want too use to make your point. He has other issues...

January 21, 2008
    Bills' Hargrove suspended without pay for season
    Buffalo Bills defensive end Anthony Hargrove was suspended without pay for all next season Monday by the NFL after violating the league's substance abuse policy a third time.
    October 15, 2007
    Bills' Hargrove pleads guilty to disorderly conduct
    Buffalo Bills defensive end Anthony Hargrove has pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct, drawing a $300 fine and 200 hours of community service for an altercation with police outside a Rochester nightclub last summer.
    Not exactly focused on football...

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I think every year there are examples of workout warriors whose numbers don't translate to the football field.

How about Mike Mamula? I think he had 17 sacks in his Senior year - and then he lit up the combine with his numbers.

Workout Warrior

Consistently taking the Natural football players will win 9 times out of 10. But GM's love to mull those numbers and then those numbers become the competition.
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -04-07-2008 at 10:42 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think every year there are examples of workout warriors whose numbers don't translate to the football field.
    I agree with that.

One NFL scout called linebacker Patrick Willis "a beast." And that was before Willis won The Associated Press 2007 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year award.
    This workout warriors flat out worked out to the tune of 174 tackles, so you never know.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I agree with that.

This workout warriors flat out worked out to the tune of 174 tackles, so you never know.
    But Willis was considered the best MIKE backer before he ever set foot on the field at Indy. The workouts didn't define Patrick Willis, but only confirmed him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81 View Post
    Yeah I'm sure you know that he didn't make any plays down field field cause you probably watched all of his games or hours of film on him, right?
    No, but I can do simple math. In his two years as a starter, he produced 86 total tackles. 30.5 of them were for loss, so we're down to 55.5 tackles. 22.5 of them were sacks, so that leaves us with 32 tackles and two half tackles forward of the line of scrimmage. Over 26 games, he averaged only 1.27 tackles per game ahead of the line of scrimmage. To me, that's not a whole lot of production once the ball crosses the line of scrimmage for someone who's "godlike".

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Then take out the games OSU was winning by 28 in the first quarter and Gholston sat the rest of the game. And I can honestly say I don't remember him actually going down field much I think most of the moving he did pre-snap was to get into his pass rush

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81 View Post
    Then take out the games OSU was winning by 28 in the first quarter and Gholston sat the rest of the game. And I can honestly say I don't remember him actually going down field much I think most of the moving he did pre-snap was to get into his pass rush
    This brings up another issue with his stats. It's easy to look godlike on the football field when most of your opponents aren't very good.

And in all honesty, the Big Ten has not been very good the last couple of years.

Contrast that with Dorsey, who has looked godlike in what has arguably been the best conference in the land the last couple of seasons.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post

Unfortunately in some cases that rings as true as the sweat that those WW pour during their exercises.

One of our own experiences: Adam Archuleta. Injuries and all, alas, he never quite met Rams expectations that were largely based on his WW prowess.

Perhaps Gholston is simply more of a natural.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    This brings up another issue with his stats. It's easy to look godlike on the football field when most of your opponents aren't very good.

And in all honesty, the Big Ten has not been very good the last couple of years.

Contrast that with Dorsey, who has looked godlike in what has arguably been the best conference in the land the last couple of seasons.

You guys need to quit with this "Godlike" crap, there's no human being on earth even remotely close to being Godlike. We all fall well short.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    You guys need to quit with this "Godlike" crap, there's no human being on earth even remotely close to being Godlike. We all fall well short.
    But niner there's a YouTube video out there that would beg to differ.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ram1906 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post

I'm not debating Dorsey vs Gholston...Drafting Dorsey would be a personell mistake. We used (again) a 1st rounder on an effort interior lineman Last year. We need explosiveness on the edge (SEE 2.5 sacks from DE). Gholston is the man...And Peoria, though you think the Big Ten is soft, name an ACC tackle or linemen taken or will be taken in the first round of the draft...."0"...name a 1st rounder taken from the Big Ten...3 come to mind...Levi Brown/ Joe Thomas/Jake Long....Yes , I'm comparing Long to VG....we need to get focused here....VG is what we need.....hands down....:l

name a 1st rounder taken from the Big Ten...3 come to mind...Levi Brown/ Joe Thomas/Jake Long....Yes , I'm comparing Long to VG....we need to get focused here....VG is what we need.....hands down....
    -sigh- Well, 3rd time's a charm. Here goes.....

Against Jake Long and Levi Brown, Gholston has either 1 or 2 career sacks (1 against Long in 72 attempts, 1 against PSU in 25 attempts but not certain it was against Brown) in 97 total attempts

And Vernon Gholston and Joe Thomas have never been on the field together.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ram1906 View Post
    And Peoria, though you think the Big Ten is soft, name an ACC tackle or linemen taken or will be taken in the first round of the draft...."0"...name a 1st rounder taken from the Big Ten...3 come to mind...Levi Brown/ Joe Thomas/Jake Long....
    Ok, fine.

2008: Branden Albert - UVA and Gosder Cherilus - BC
    2007:None
    2006: D'Brickashaw Furguson - UVA
    2005: Alex Barron - FSU
    2004: Vernon Carey - Miami, honorable mention Chris Snee - BC at #34

Also note that Chris Long had to go up against D'Brick and Albert every day in practice.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ram1906 View Post
    I'm not debating Dorsey vs Gholston...Drafting Dorsey would be a personell mistake. We used (again) a 1st rounder on an effort interior lineman Last year. We need explosiveness on the edge (SEE 2.5 sacks from DE).

Dorsey's presence on the interior line will almost certainly demand a double team. In turn, this makes it more likely the DEs will be single teamed. If the Rams DEs are being single teamed, explosiveness becomes less of a need.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast