Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jimmy Clausen

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Jimmy Clausen

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Players end up with different coaches, teammates, and what not. Jimmy Clausen is not Brady Quinn, nor is he any other Notre Dame QB. Jimmy Clausen is Jimmy Clausen, not Brady Quinn or any other Notre Dame QB.

And Jimmy Clausen is not a Franchise QB. Jimmy Clausen is not ready to step up and play in the NFL. Given time and the right mentor and coaching maybe he will be a starting QB in the NFL. He needs to stay another year at Notre Dame.

GO RAMS
    Besides the fact that he's incredibly accurate, nice arm strength, a leader, efficient, consistent, great mechanics and he's been in a Pro Style Offense for 3 years ( west coast offense ) to be exact, what makes him NOT a Franchise QB?

RamsFan16

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Incredibly accurate at 10 yards. Fine for college but he needs to learn how to throw the deep ball.

Mechanics are fine but for some reason he takes some off the deep outs which will get you in trouble in the NFL.

Jimmy is a great Quarterback and history will show that the guys who stay in school for 4 years are much more NFL ready than the ones who leave early. He will be a good Quarterback in the NFL the problem I have with Jimmy is he's not ready now and for the Rams to select a player #1 overall he needs to be ready now. If the Rams select Jimmy then the Rams will have to wait for him to develop while watching some veteran QB then next year we Rams fan will have to go through 2 years of development and I am sick and tired of waiting for this team.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Incredibly accurate at 10 yards. Fine for college but he needs to learn how to throw the deep ball.

Mechanics are fine but for some reason he takes some off the deep outs which will get you in trouble in the NFL.

Jimmy is a great Quarterback and history will show that the guys who stay in school for 4 years are much more NFL ready than the ones who leave early. He will be a good Quarterback in the NFL the problem I have with Jimmy is he's not ready now and for the Rams to select a player #1 overall he needs to be ready now. If the Rams select Jimmy then the Rams will have to wait for him to develop while watching some veteran QB then next year we Rams fan will have to go through 2 years of development and I am sick and tired of waiting for this team.
    Incredibly accurate for 10 yards? Your thinking of Colt McCoy, not Jimmy Clausen.

Defensive Tackles almost always come in and do NOTHING there rookie season ( BJ Raji, Amobi Okoye, Justin Harrell, Glenn Dorsey ).
    RamsFan16

AlwaysBackwards is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Defensive Tackles almost always come in and do NOTHING there rookie season ( BJ Raji, Amobi Okoye, Justin Harrell, Glenn Dorsey ).
    Respectively None Of Those Were As Hyped As Suh! Glenn Dorsey Is Close But His College Stats Are Nowhere Near Close To Those Of Suh's. Time Will Tell And Honestly I Think Suh Would Do More Than Clausen On The Rams. Even With Clausen I Think Teams Would Still Stack The Box And Force Clausen To Beat Them So We're Still In The Same Situation As Null Except Clausen Is A New Face.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Besides the fact that he's incredibly accurate, nice arm strength, a leader, efficient, consistent, great mechanics and he's been in a Pro Style Offense for 3 years ( west coast offense ) to be exact, what makes him NOT a Franchise QB?
    I would say he's not a franchise QB because he hasn't proven he can translate what he did in college to the NFL. He's got good potential, but it's just that, potential. Annointing him a franchise QB is premature at this juncture. Just ask the Arizona Cardinals about that.

I like Clausen to a point, but he's got issues that would make it tough for me to take him with the first pick. Like others, I would question his arm strength. I'm not sure he has the ability to consistently make the downfield throws necessary in the NFL. He also looks like the classic system QB to me who benefited greatly from Charlie Weis' offense. His numbers don't convince me either. Notre Dame faced some weak competition and a lot of mediocre defenses. And as far as his character and maturity, he hasn't really proven much there. He had well publicized troubles all three years at Notre Dame, and despite reports that he understood the spotlight and had matured into a leader, he was involved in a bar fight less than two months ago.

Maybe I'm wrong in my assessments, but as I've said before, Clausen just never wowed me.

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

Jimmy Clausen is my pick at #1.[/QUOTE]

I was ALL Suh hes a monster no doubt, but we need a QB to build around, DeSpags have to get their guy in place and quickly. After 2011 season people will be screaming for their replacements if we have another crap season. Working out the QB situation this year will go along way in having someone in place for the 2011 season and not a rookie or some washed out veteren thats only a stop gap.

The ND school thing is crap.
    He uses our system.
    He is the most polished coming out in a year we NEED a QB.
    Our Dfense was in games most of the year in 09, our lack of ofense is what killed us.
    Spags will work his coaching magic getting med. players to play better, but we need Ofense.
    Lastly I dont think 1 pick is gonna change our Dfense SO MUCH that we can score regularly with it and a QB will, hell we could even grab Golden Tate in the top of the 2nd haha. .

I want Suh, but I think we need a QB, and by what Iv read Clausen is the best this year. I sure would hate to be DeSpags if they choose wrong. I do feel confident in their ability to do their homework however.
    Last edited by dave626; -01-13-2010 at 05:53 PM.

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

Kiper had Bradford rated higher than Clausen through most of the year, and McShay still thinks Bradford is the better pick. If we go QB, personally I would prefer Sam Bradford if his shoulder checks out.

Clausen's numbers are very similar to Brady Quinn's, and Clausen has had some pretty decent Wide Receivers around him. I'm not trying to knock ND, it's just Quinn threw for 37 TD and 7 Ints in '06 and people are arguing that Clausen is world's better because he threw 4 ints and less touchdowns. Clausen did have a higher completion rate than Quinn which some argue is more important. I know, its all apples and oranges, but I think the ND system helps these guys not throw many picks.

Also, I think people have been quick to forget how great Bradford was. He was the unquestioned #1 last year, and I remember everyone saying all last year, "Well, if Bradford falls to us then...." Guess what? He's there for us to take now. My pick is Bradford if we go QB. He's become the forgotten player in this draft and someone will run away with him.

sdobbers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameTH View Post
    Also, I think people have been quick to forget how great Bradford was. He was the unquestioned #1 last year, and I remember everyone saying all last year, "Well, if Bradford falls to us then...." Guess what? He's there for us to take now. My pick is Bradford if we go QB. He's become the forgotten player in this draft and someone will run away with him.
    Bradford's a solid QB, the only thing that worries me is his toughness. Last year he played behind an elite Offensive Line so he never saw any pressure, then this year he feels a little bit of pressure and both times he goes down with an injury. With our Offensive Line he WILL be feeling pressure...do we really want to take a chance with him?

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

the thing i dont get with the whole is Sam Bradford tough thing is this. Ive watched games of him in the 08' season. There were plenty of times where he had some guys in his face and got tossed around a bit. He still made good throws most of the time. Id call his injury this year bit of a freak injury. Did you see how he fell on his shoulder? He fell just good enough to separate it. Then in that game where he re injured it he fell on the exact same shoulder. Crap happens. Im sure hes been hit before those injuries. He most likely tried to come back too soon from the shoulder and paid the price in the worst way. Now you have guys questioning his toughness.

That being said i do think its a valid question as people dont know if that was indeed a freak injury or is he fragile?

In any case a person can fortify a fragile body even if that was the case.

What im horrified of is if we take Clausen first and then Sam slips to us at the top of the second...that would wrench my guts..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12