Rip32 is offline Registered User

Jimmy Williams is a confident kid!!!

Feb. 27, 2006
    By Clark Judge
    CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
    Tell Clark your opinion!

INDIANAPOLIS -- The next great NFL cornerback is here. Just ask him.

"I can match up with any receiver in the country," said Virginia Tech's Jimmy Williams.

Williams is at the top of a deep class of defensive backs, with the emphasis on size. At 6-feet-2, 213 pounds, he's bigger than what we've come to expect from cornerbacks -- but get used to it.

Florida State's Antonio Cromartie is 6-2, 208; Miami's Marcus Maxey is 6-2; Penn State's Alan Zemaitis is 6-1; the University of Texas' Cedric Griffin is just over 6 feet. Then there's Williams, who can line up at either cornerback or safety ... and who has.

"Are you the best cornerback in this year's draft?" he was asked at this year's NFL scouting combine.

"Yes, sir," he said. "I should go in the top 10, to be honest with you."

He might be right. There's a premium on big corners that can cover, and Jimmy Williams can. In fact, he can do it all. He can run. He can hit. He's not afraid to tackle. He's good at jamming receivers; he's good playing off them, too. And did we mention he's confident?

Williams did, and he'll roll up his sleeves to prove it. On his right forearm there's a tattoo that reads, "Destined 2," and on the other are the words "Be Great." I think you get the idea.

"Every time I look down I keep my 'swag' and keep myself confident that I want to be good," said Williams. "It's something to remind me every day."

As if he needs help.

It was Williams who, prior to the 2004 season, predicted that USC wide receiver Mike Williams wouldn't be productive if allowed to play in the season opener against Virginia Tech. Williams wasn't, but that didn't stop Jimmy Williams' head coach from intervening and banning his cornerback from talking to the media.

For the rest of the season.

"I learned after that," said Williams. "You have to watch what you say, but if you're being honest, at the end of the day more people respect you. I had fun with it, and I'll be glad to just go out and play. But I need the media."

Williams played his first two years as a safety before switching to cornerback, where he led the ACC in interceptions his junior season with five. Williams prefers cornerback -- saying he wants to prove that big guys can excel at the position -- but his NFL future may depend on times in the 40-yard dash at Tuesday's workouts.

"In my opinion he's a corner who, down the road, can become a safety," said Atlanta coach Jim Mora, a former secondary coach. "If he runs a fast 40 that will confirm it; if he doesn't, maybe you have to rethink it. But my initial thought is that he's a very good corner; someone who can do anything."

The University of Texas' Michael Huff is another defensive back who can play both positions, though most persons envision him as a safety -- and that includes Mora. Huff was the winner of the Jim Thorpe award, given annually to the nation's top defensive back; Williams was a Thorpe finalist.

Don't bother asking Williams who is better.

In fact, when he was asked what a club should do if it had the option of choosing him or former Virginia Tech cornerback DeAngelo Hall -- the eighth pick of the 2004 draft -- Williams was as quick with an answer as he is to the football.

"Me," he said. "Because I'm much bigger, more physical and I can play two positions for you. I feel great about myself. I just want to come in and play right away."

Somehow, I think he'll have that chance.

:clanram:

rampete is offline Registered User

Re: Jimmy Williams is a confident kid!!!

...not confident, or prepared, enough to workout at the combine...

he and sean taylor are eerily similar in personality...

Rip32 is offline Registered User

I dont think he has got into trouble as sean taylor has,I might be wrong but I have never heard of anything.

I agree he should have worked out at the combine if he wanted to be a top 10 pick.

:clanram:

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Its not unusual for top prospects to wait until their Pro Day to work out for the scouts.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

It was Williams who, prior to the 2004 season, predicted that USC wide receiver Mike Williams wouldn't be productive if allowed to play in the season opener against Virginia Tech. Williams wasn't, but that didn't stop Jimmy Williams' head coach from intervening and banning his cornerback from talking to the media.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt Williams get burned by Reggie Bush in that game?
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

CanadianRam! is offline Registered User

is he confident or arrrogant? which one is it?

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRam!
    is he confident or arrrogant? which one is it?
    It's a fine line, but in this situation you have a kid who hasn't played a single game in the NFL. He's a big fish in a small pond, so to make statements like he can cover any receiver in the country is what I would call......arrogant.

Maybe he can back it up, we'll find out soon.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

This is who I'd take over Michael Huff. If we take a DB first round this is who I want.
    RamsFan16