Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Varg6 is offline Registered User

Joey Porter...maybe be released?

<Feb. 23> Don't be surprised if the Steelers release Porter in the next week or so, writes ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli. Porter's productivity tailed off considerably in 2006, and his contract status could become a problem. Porter is due a $1 million roster bonus on March 6 and his scheduled base salary for 2007, the final season of his current deal, is $4 million.

Word around the league is that Porter, whose forte has always been his explosive quickness coming off the edge, has lost a half-step. "He isn't the same guy," said one rival AFC North coach this week. "He's not a guy anymore where you say, 'OK, I have to game-plan around him.' It'll be interesting to see what [the Steelers] do with him."

He'd be an interesting guy to pick up...he's still great imo.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

chipperjones Guest

Re: Joey Porter...maybe be released?

He's a good-great impact player, but I'm not sold on his character. He has been in the news with his mouth, and I don't know if that would pump us up or hurt our team.

smizzhfx Guest

I think we need a vocal leader like that, someone not afraid to say what he feels. Look at the run we took at the end of this season after marc bulger got vocal. We need someone who can come in on this defense and fire up our players and be a vocal leader. I think signing joey porter would be beneficial to our team and we need a big guy like that to come in and dominate.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Are we moving to the 3-4? If not I'm not sure I see much reason to go after him.

smizzhfx Guest

You don't think he'd be an efficient SLB even in a 4-3 scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    You don't think he'd be an efficient SLB even in a 4-3 scheme?
    I think he's at his best where he is right now - in a 3-4 D rushing the passer from the edge.

keith m. klink Guest

i would see no benefits to bringing him here, with the money we invested in tino and spoon, i can't think that the coach would want porter, as another high price lb. that is what drafting a young player is all about. and porter is more of a distraction with his mouth, talking crap and being loud is not leading or being a leader, it just draws attention to the big mouth and say's watch me , not watch the team.

smizzhfx Guest

Our defense lacks any kind of identity whatsoever. He would come in and be an immediate impact. So what if he draws attention to himself? As long as he delivers I don't care what he says. This defense can't get much worse so there really isn't any risk besides the financial issues.

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    Our defense lacks any kind of identity whatsoever.
    So the solution to our defense's lack of identity is to bring in a guy and make him change his identity to fit a new scheme?

keith m. klink Guest

you act like having an identity is having someone be a big mouth, if we had 11 guy's that didn't say a peep and were a top 10-12 defense, that should be fine for us, and to let ya know, we were somewhere between 200-400 yards away from being the 17th ranked defense in the nfl. so we are not far away from good things, and as for the financial, throw money at this guy now , and where is it when you need it for who really makes the team run, think of that before you sign joey the mouth. he would do nothing but disrupt a team on the rise, or we could trade for T.O. and randy moss, because they have talent and would fix or WR problems too.

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    you act like having an identity is having someone be a big mouth, if we had 11 guy's that didn't say a peep and were a top 10-12 defense, that should be fine for us, and to let ya know, we were somewhere between 200-400 yards away from being the 17th ranked defense in the nfl. so we are not far away from good things, and as for the financial, throw money at this guy now , and where is it when you need it for who really makes the team run, think of that before you sign joey the mouth. he would do nothing but disrupt a team on the rise, or we could trade for T.O. and randy moss, because they have talent and would fix or WR problems too.
    Last time I checked, our offense has a "life" if you will. Porter would bring life to the defense, and also...since when do we have problems with our WRs?

keith m. klink Guest

let's see , if we lose curtis and mcdonald, the aging of holt and bruce, and looker as the new #3 receiver if that happens. and we have a lot of life and young talent on this team, just because we had a hard time on the line stopping the run , doesn't mean that the whole defense is a dead fish. look at our 2 signed lb's, pisa and spoon. LEADERS BY EXAMPLE, look at our d- backfield young and agressive with a vet(CHAVOUS) LEADER. getting porter will not make our front line stop the run
    Last edited by Nick; -02-25-2007 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Let's stop the name calling

snowbozo21 Guest

Thumbs down Joey Porter has been cut, we should pick him up.

Steelers cut linebacker Joey Porter

March 1, 2007

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Joey Porter, the vocal pass-rushing linebacker, was released by the Pittsburgh Steelers on Thursday.

The 29-year-old Porter, who was in the final year of his contract, had been the starting right outside linebacker since 2000, the year after he was drafted by the Steelers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Porter was to receive a $1 million bonus on March 6, and was due to earn $4 million in 2007.

"It's a business decision that was made," Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said.

Porter played 122 games and made 106 starts. His 60 quarterback sacks rank fourth in team history.

The Steelers also released injured running back Verron Haynes and offensive tackle Ulish Booker, who spent the 2006 season on the reserve/injured list.

Let's Get HIM!

Re: Joey Porter has been cut, we should pick him up.

Yeah I'd love to get him...he may be a tad expensive though.....putting it lightly.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    You can't actually believe that bringing in someone like Porter on D would hurt the Rams? He is exactly the kind of player we need someone to come in on D and bring the team to life, heck its Porter, he'd even be the guy to hopefully spark STL and bring the 12th man back to life. As soon as I seen this I said thats the guy we need right there, a vocal Defensive play maker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast