evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

John Clayton: Rams, Falcons considering swap?

From his blog.

posted: Friday, April 25, 2008

Glenn Dorsey is the leading candidate to be the No. 2 selection in Saturday's draft, but it might be a team other than the St. Louis Rams.

According to multiple sources, the Rams are open to hearing from the Atlanta Falcons, who draft third. The Falcons have Dorsey near the top of the draft board, and a good portion of the front office would prefer taking Dorsey instead of Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan. The Rams are split on whether to take Dorsey, their highest- rated player, or Virginia defensive end Chris Long, who, according to sources, is their fourth-rated player. A trade, which could net the Rams a third- or a fourth-round choice from the Falcons in addition to swapping places with the Falcons, would allow them to take Long and get extra value.

Rams president John Shaw, who is believed to be interested in the Long possibilities, probably won't make a final decision on a trade scenario until Saturday morning.

Rams' checkered DT history: Should the Rams select Chris Long in the draft instead of Dorsey, it wouldn't be a surprise for several reasons. First, the team does need a young defensive end who could pass rush on the other side of Leonard Little. Second, the Rams have had a history of disappointments with first-round defensive tackles. Former first-round defensive tackles Ryan Pickett, Damoine Lewis and Jimmy Kennedy never made it to second contracts with the Rams.

:l

-jake-

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: John Clayton: Rams, Falcons considering swap?

C. Long is rated 4? I wonder who they have ahead of him?

Jake Long
    Glenn Dorsey
    Vernon Gholston
    Chris Long

???

chipperjones is offline Registered User

For a second rounder I'd totally do it....but we wont get that. I would do it for a third or fourth, it just depends what they REALLY think of Chris Long.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Glenn Dorsey
    Jake Long
    Darren McFadden
    Chris Long

That is the current board, IMO. You simply don't pass on the BPA who is still a need for the fourth guy, even though he is a big need if that is true. We will still take Chris Long because I am getting the sense the Rams brass is dead set on fixing the DE position ASAP.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

So much for being 100% sure the Rams will take Dorsey.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    So much for being 100% sure the Rams will take Dorsey.
    Exactly........btw, Scheffter is reporting that Falcons #1 target now is Matt Ryan - even if Dorsey is available.

there is some serious "crap" being slung right now - either Scheffter or John Clayton are dead wrong - maybe they both are - I doubt that though. I think Scheffter is wrong - I think the Falcons still want Glen Dorsey........both the Rams/Falcons are probably lying their arsses off right now........feeding "crap" to the press......

My prediction: No trade - Rams take Chris Long, Falcons take Glen Dorsey.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

IMO this is the ideal situation for the Rams even if it is just a 3rd or 4th I think this is perfect for us and if it is offered we should at least take a reallly long look

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

The Rams need to play hard ball with Atlanta. Insist on a 2nd rounder this year or a 1st next year and get the deal done. Or turn their attention to the Saints. Insist on Will Smith instead of Jamaal Brown and the 10th pick and get the deal done.

Or take Jamaal Brown, the 10th pick and a 3rd. Or just take their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Or take their 1st and 3rd this year and their 1st next year.

Come on Mr. Deveaney, what's so hard about this, I've laid the groundwork, now get out there and get the job done.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    The Rams need to play hard ball with Atlanta. Insist on a 2nd rounder this year or a 1st next year and get the deal done. Or turn their attention to the Saints. Insist on Will Smith instead of Jamaal Brown and the 10th pick and get the deal done.

Or take Jamaal Brown, the 10th pick and a 3rd. Or just take their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Or take their 1st and 3rd this year and their 1st next year.

Come on Mr. Deveaney, what's so hard about this, I've laid the groundwork, now get out there and get the job done.
    why don't you just ask for the keys to the Superdome also.

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    why don't you just ask for the keys to the Superdome also.
    Good point! Yeah....and while you're at it, get the keys to the Superdome.

There...that was easy.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

you know what fortuninerhater, your absolutely right.....but I'm not sure that the Falcons 2nd rounder this year and 1st rounder next year is enough for moving up the one spot - that would be a "lowball offer" - I apologize for such a lowball offer - please forgive us!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    you know what fortuninerhater, your absolutely right.....but I'm not sure that the Falcons 2nd rounder this year and 1st rounder next year is enough for moving up the one spot - that would be a "lowball offer" - I apologize for such a lowball offer - please forgive us!
    The bottom line is na na nana-na we have the pick you want. We're listening??

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Um... I really don't think Shaw is the final decisionmaker here.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post

If you reread my post you will see that it says " a 2nd rounder this year OR a 1st next year". And don't simplify it by looking at it as moving 1 spot. Look at it as getting the player you really want.

Because the bottom line is not how far you missed getting him by, but the fact that you didn't get him.