Thread: Johnny Manziel cements his status as franchise quarterback

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Johnny Manziel cements his status as franchise quarterback

Johnny Manziel cements his status as franchise quarterback
    By Bucky Brooks
    NFL Media analyst
    Published: Jan. 1, 2014 at 12:20 a.m.
    Updated: Jan. 1, 2014 at 03:20 a.m.

NFL evaluators pay close attention to how well elite prospects perform in bowl games. Executives believe these contests rival the intensity and competitiveness of NFL games, while also creating a big-game atmosphere that allows observers to witness a player under pressure.

While Johnny Manziel has played in a ton of big games in his brief career, I thought it was important to see how well the former Heisman Trophy winner performed in the Chick fil-A Bowl after finishing the regular season with a pair of lackluster games. With a national television audience paying close attention to his every move, Manziel put on an epic performance that cemented his status as one of the top quarterbacks in college football, and a future franchise player at the next level. Watching it up close and personal, here are my thoughts on Manziel's game and it projects in the NFL:

Athleticism
    Johnny Football took the college football world by storm a season ago by showcasing a sandlot game built on improvisational playmaking. Part of his success stemmed from his exceptional speed, quickness and movement skills. Few quarterbacks in the college game can rival his elusiveness in tight quarters, making him a rare commodity at the position.

Watching Manziel work his magic on the Georgia Dome turf against the Blue Devils, I was blown away by his sudden acceleration and burst. He is quicker than a hiccup in space, with a knack for making defenders miss in the hole. Although he has scaled back on his impromptu runs this season, it's nearly impossible to contain Manziel when he elects to use his legs as a primary weapon.

I must express some concern about his durability based on his diminutive stature and willingness to seek out contact, but I don't believe it will be a major issue because of his combination of instincts and athleticism. He has a knack for avoiding the big shot, which is why he is such a threat when he gets on the perimeter.

Arm talent
    Questions about Manziel's arm strength and range dominated the discussion in the NFL scouting community during the offseason. Evaluators wondered if Manziel could make big-boy throws from the pocket, particularly the deep out from the opposite hash and the go-route down the boundary.

Watching Manziel pick apart the Blue Devils, there's no doubt in my mind that he can make every throw in the book. He attacked every area of the field with a variety of fastballs and rainbows to open receivers. Additionally, Manziel showed the ability to squeeze the ball into tight windows between the hashes. While those traits are expected of a franchise quarterback, I believe Manziel's unique ability to deliver accurate throws from various throwing platforms separates him from the pack. He will use a sidearm or three-quarters release to avoid rushers in close proximity, yet the ball still hits receivers in the strike zone. This characteristic makes him a threat to create big plays against the blitz from anywhere on the field.

Given the relentless blitz tactics favored by the majority of NFL defensive coaches, Manziel's unique arm talent could make him indefensible as a pro.

Pocket presence
    Manziel needed to prove to scouts that he could perform from the pocket to be considered a franchise-caliber quarterback. Although coaches and scouts love his improvisational skills, Manziel will be forced to play inside the pocket at the next level. Defensive coordinators will attempt to clog running lanes on the interior and dare the diminutive signal caller to make a series of accurate throws with a multitude of big bodies in his face.

Looking at Manziel operate against Duke, I believe he has grown immensely as a pocket passer. He comfortably makes pinpoint throws from the pocket, exhibiting quiet feet and solid mechanics. Manziel's displayed outstanding timing, ball placement and anticipation on quick-rhythm and intermediate throws. Although he was unable to consistently connect on the deep ball, Manziel's rainbow tosses were delivered on time, with plenty of arc to allow his receivers to settle under the throw.

Football intelligence
    Manziel's freewheeling style leads some observers to overlook his brilliant football mind. But astute evaluators can appreciate the mastery of the pre-snap phase when they take a hard look at his game.

Watching Manziel direct the Aggies' fast-paced offense, I was encouraged by his ability to quickly decipher fronts and coverage at the line of scrimmage. He routinely pointed out the potential rushers, and hit the predetermined hot reads to counter the blitz. Facing soft coverage, Manziel worked through his reads to hit the open receiver in the progression. Although he ran around on occasion before doing so, Manziel displayed plenty of discipline and awareness playing "connect the dots" from the pocket. NFL offensive coordinators will rave about his feel for the game when studying this tape, leading to rise up the charts when draft day approaches.

Clutch factor
    The term "swagger" is overused in sports today, but Manziel's game is dipped in confidence and self-belief. He seemingly walks on the field with a boulder-sized chip on his shoulder, yet his teammates respond to his bodacious leadership style. Watching the Aggies rally back from an enormous deficit, I witnessed Manziel's teammates feed off his energy and enthusiasm. After he put together a series of spectacular plays, the team started to play with the bounce of a heavyweight champion. Manziel continued to build the momentum by delivering big plays in key moments. From his terrific back-shoulder fade toss to Mike Evans to the nifty bootleg jaunt to pull the Aggies to within three points, Manziel made every play down the stretch to keep his team in the game.

Conclusion
    Manziel hasn't decided whether to enter the 2014 draft, but I'm sure there are several NFL coaches and scouts clamoring for a playmaker of his caliber at the quarterback position. He has all of the tools and confidence to emerge as a franchise player at the position despite lacking ideal physical dimensions for the spot.

While it will take an innovative offensive coordinator to craft a scheme to maximize his talents, I can see Manziel fitting into a West Coast offense that features a ton of movement/waggle passes like the Houston Texans utilized under Gary Kubiak. Additionally, I can see Manziel thriving in an uptempo scheme that mixes spread formations with a rapid pace. Given the freedom to operate in a wide-open offense, Manziel could help an offense produce fireworks with a capable supporting cast.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Re: Johnny Manziel cements his status as franchise quarterback

I know the kid is good and fun to watch. But I can't help but watch him running around like he does, sometimes when he doesn't have to, and think how it wouldn't work out as well for him in the NFL. Can you imagine him running away from Quinn or Tree and having the same luck? It just strikes me as something I'd rather not see my QB try to do.

richtree is offline Registered User

Blah blah blah...sounds like an article from a Manziel lover not looking at him unbiased layunbiased lay
    citr92 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Blah blah blah...sounds like an article from a Manziel lover not looking at him unbiased layunbiased lay
    My impression from the limited reactions I've read is this...

If you already liked Manziel, then you were blown away by his performance last night and just thought he was amazing.

If you already didn't like Manziel, then you saw a very good performance that featured a lot of the things that you don't think will translate well to the NFL level.

I don't think it changed anyone's mind about him as a player, but good performances by draft eligible quarterbacks who could potentially be Top 5 picks only help the Rams on the trade market.
    FestusRam and DE_Ramfan like this.

Scouts take on Manziel: He's another Favre
    NFL scout says that Texas A&M QB will play hard, but do it his way
    By Jason Cole

After completing his season with Texas A&M, quarterback Johnny Manziel dodged questions about whether he would turn pro early. It has been long assumed that Manziel would declare for the NFL draft.

However, the question of how good Manziel will be in the NFL lingers. One scout recently compared Manziel to retired quarterback Brett Favre, who was a second-round pick and went on to have an extraordinary career.

“He’s Favre,” the scout said. “On Sunday, he’s going to play his (butt) off. The rest of the week, he’s going to do what he wants to do.”

The scout said that was a combination of both great and sometimes bad habits. While Favre was a great player and worked hard at his craft, he also enjoyed having a good time.

“If you tell him not to go drink, he’s not going to listen. He’s going to go drink,” the scout said of Manziel. “If you can tell him not to chase (women). He’s going to chase (women). That’s just who he is and he’s going to do what he wants. I think he’s going to be great, but you’re going to have to deal with him on his terms.”

The same scout predicted before the 2012 draft that Russell Wilson would eventually become an outstanding quarterback.

citr92 is online now Registered User

last night I watched Duke coug it lol, that's what I saw

plus manziel flails his arms around like a little girl when he run lol

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    There's no denying he has the tools to be a successful NFL QB.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    There's no denying he has the tools to be a successful NFL QB.
    oh there's plenty to deny

but we'll just have to see

i don't think he will on the field, and off the field he'll have problems too imo

again, we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    oh there's plenty to deny

but we'll just have to see

i don't think he will on the field, and off the field he'll have problems too imo

again, we'll see
    If you have examples to deny, please list them.

Yes he may play in an unorthodox fashion, but his TOOLS (arm, mobility, pocket presence, instincts, play making ability) are extremely solid.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    If you have examples to deny, please list them.

Yes he may play in an unorthodox fashion, but his TOOLS (arm, mobility, pocket presence, instincts, play making ability) are extremely solid.
    if they were so extremely solid then there'd be no question

but looking at his play i just don't see the tools

i see him run before giving plays a chance

i don't see him threading passes with his "extremely solid arm strength"

play making ability at the college level is COMPLETELY different than the NFL level

RGIII has a better arm, is faster, and had good play making ability, instincts and mobility

and he's been eaten up in the NFL, pretty much has had to revert to a pocket passer as do many running qbs and looking at manziel as a pocket passer...

we'll have to see, but i don't see it

i couldn't give you examples because most of them aren't are on film that i can't access because it's not on the internet
    Last edited by citr92; -01-01-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    if they were so extremely solid then there'd be no question
    The questions are about his playing style, not his "tools".

but looking at his play i just don't see the tools
    How many A&M games have you watched?

i see him run before giving plays a chance
    He runs because there are opportunities to run. His receivers with the exception of Evans, aren't even that good.

i don't see him threading passes with his "extremely solid arm strength"
    What games are you watching?

play making ability at the college level is COMPLETELY different than the NFL level
    Obviously.

RGIII has a better arm, is faster, and had good play making ability, instincts and mobility
    He also has a terrible o-line and with the exception of Pierre Garcon, their receivers are not that great.

RGIII is also a completely different QB than Johnny. They play differently.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Doug Flutie was a great COLLEGE QB too.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't think anyone here is saying he's going to be good/great. But to say Manziel has no chance because of the defenses he faced in college is looking for an easy way out of scouting.

THE DREAM TEAM

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Doug Flutie was only great during his senior year when he won the Heisman, before that he was pretty much average. Manziel has been great ever since he stepped on the football field as a redshirt freshman. Also, Flutie was barely 5-10 while Manziel is over 6-1. Oh yeah, Flutie was pretty good in the NFL for a couple years, even making the Pro Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Also, Flutie was barely 5-10 while Manziel is over 6-1.
    Vinnie, I agree with everything you said in your post except this part. Unless he magically had a growth spurt in the past month, he isn't breaking 6'0. I'd say he's a strong 5'10, maybe 5'11.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast