Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Johnny Manziel dares Texans to pass on him

Rambos is offline Registered User

Johnny Manziel dares Texans to pass on him

By Chase Goodbread

The Houston Texans picking Johnny Manziel No. 1 overall in the NFL draft would be a great decision, Manziel said, but not picking him would be one the club would live to regret. Especially if the quarterback-starved Jacksonville Jaguars grabbed him with the No. 3 overall pick, and Houston had to play against him as a division opponent.

"It would be the worst decision they've (the Texans) ever made," he told The Houston Chronicle of the possibility. "I'd be in the same division playing against them twice a year. Sorry, but you just turned that chip on my shoulder from a Frito into a Dorito."

Double-dares aside, however, Manziel made it clear that playing for the homestate Texans is what he wants most.
    Johnny Chronicles

"I want them to say absolutely, without a doubt, with 100 percent certainty, that I'm who they want," Manziel said. "I want everybody from the janitor at Reliant Stadium to the front office executive assistant all the way up to (owner) Bob McNair to say, 'This kid is 100 percent, can't miss. This is who we want being the face of our program. We want the Texas kid staying in Texas and leading the Texans.'"

Manziel played his high school ball in Kerrville, Texas. From a pure distance standpoint, it would be a stretch to suggest that Manziel is a hometown Houston kid. But Texans tend to be a close-knit group. State pride is no small matter, and not much summons Texas state pride as much as its quarterbacks. From Drew Brees to Matthew Stafford, from Robert Griffin III to Andrew Luck, they are everywhere.

But they don't all play in Texas.

"I'm a Texas kid. The state means a lot to me," he said.

Your move, Houston.

Candidly Manziel

In his first public comments since announcing he would leave Texas A&M two years early for an NFL career, Manziel had plenty more to say on a variety of topics, including questions about his maturity, his rookie-year aspirations and more:

» Manziel will be asked plenty about his maturity, reputation as a partier, and off-field decisions by NFL clubs at the NFL Scouting Combine next week. He'll be well-coached for all of it, but was candid about those subjects with reporters who visited his San Diego training site as well.

"I was a kid who made some goofball decisions. That's been part of my journey. Maybe it's part of the whole Johnny Football deal that I'm trying to get away from," Manziel said. "I'm trying to show people I've grown up, and I've learned from my experiences. I feel like you're a stupid person if you continue to make the same wrong decisions. I don't want to hear, 'Oh, anybody in his situation would have been doing the same thing.' I'm 100 percent responsible for my actions."

» The era of NFL rookie quarterbacks apprenticing on a bench for a year or two is disappearing quickly, especially for those drafted in the first round. If Manziel reaches his rookie-year goal, that notion could be buried for good:

"People can call me crazy, and it's not cockiness (but), I'm going to put myself in (position) to win the Super Bowl every single year. A 5-10 guy (Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson) just won the Super Bowl in his second year in the NFL," he said. "That's unreal. I want to be the first rookie to win the Super Bowl."

» Nobody can say Manziel doesn't know his Cleveland Browns history. The club has the No. 4 overall pick, but has historically had plenty of turnover at the quarterback position, and Manziel would love to try to end it if he ends up in Cleveland.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl."

» Manziel's preparation for the combine includes film study with Kevin O'Connell, who was a New England Patriots backup quarterback when Texans coach Bill O'Brien was an assistant there under Bill Belichick. O'Connell is helping Manziel learn O'Brien's likes and dislikes about offensive football, and he can't wait to talk to O'Brien about it next week in Indianapolis.

"In Indianapolis, I want to be able to sit there and him draw a play on the board and be like, 'Coach, that was your third-and-12 play from the Super Bowl," Manziel said. "You called that on the right hash from the 42-yard line driving in to score to win the game.' I want to blow his lid off when I'm in that situation."

citr92 is offline Registered User

Re: Johnny Manziel dares Texans to pass on him

and then O'Brien resopnds:

"O'Connel tell you that?"

lol

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    "Sorry, but you just turned that chip on my shoulder from a Frito into a Dorito."
    I'm not much of a Manziel fan, but that's absolutely fantastic.
    Rambos, Bar-bq and Torry Holt like this.

Randart is offline Registered User

I am a Johnny FB fan and hope for the best, have enjoyed watching the lad play the last couple years! He was lucky enough to be on a very talented team, they really let him shine bright. Now the challenge comes with going to a team that more than likely will be a bit less talented than most of the competition. I really like this class of QB's coming out hope we can land one of the top 7 guys they all have distinct styles of play and are exciting. We could really use one as a back up for Sammy and I know most of you all agree with that.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Manziel better be what he says he's cracked up to be. If not, he's setting himself up for a monumental fall. I like the confidence, but the NFL is going to be a lot tougher than he thinks.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Being a Rams fan I'd like to dare the Texans to take him. Help out our ability to trade out of the #2 pick please oh please take that idiot.
    citr92 likes this.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Manziel reminds me of Magic Johnson both in talent and style. The guy is a player. Although he is a risk, he will be fun to watch - no doubt

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Let me know when he triple dog dares them not to take him.

Then I'll know he's serious.
    Bar-bq and a.p.quinn like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    Manziel reminds me of Magic Johnson both in talent and style. The guy is a player. Although he is a risk, he will be fun to watch - no doubt
    I'm a Laker fan and I must admit that I see no commonality between Manziel and MJ. Magic was a talented player who was an absolute team leader, JM is not. In fact Manziel is a flaming idiot who will get his face flattened by some DE or OLB. He makes bad decisions so he better shut-up and learn to play QB in the NFL, this ain't college anymore.

Go Rams!
    RealRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I'm a Laker fan and I must admit that I see no commonality between Manziel and MJ. Magic was a talented player who was an absolute team leader, JM is not. In fact Manziel is a flaming idiot who will get his face flattened by some DE or OLB. He makes bad decisions so he better shut-up and learn to play QB in the NFL, this ain't college anymore.

Go Rams!
    In agree. Magic was in no way, shape, or form, a self-promoter, or a braggart. On the contrary, he was the consummate team player who always gave credit to his coaches and teammates. Magic did his talking on the court.

Manziel is a classic "me-first" type, who is really putting a bulls eye on his chest with future opponents, as well as future teammates. I know I'll be rooting against him.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Love this kind of talk... Wouldn't want to be in the Texans shoes right now... This would clear the way for us to get the best player in this draft... Or trade the rights to Clowney for another kings ransome!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

To be fair to him, he is talking the talk

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    To be fair to him, he is talking the talk
    Yeah, yeah he is, but he's not walking the walk. Anyone can mouth off, it's another thing to back it up. What he did in college has nothing to do with the NFL.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Yeah, yeah he is, but he's not walking the walk. Anyone can mouth off, it's another thing to back it up. What he did in college has nothing to do with the NFL.
    Hmmmm what to do? What to do? Take Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf?
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    "It would be the worst decision they've (the Texans) ever made," he told The Houston Chronicle of the possibility. "I'd be in the same division playing against them twice a year. Sorry, but you just turned that chip on my shoulder from a Frito into a Dorito."
    This press conference is brought to you by Frito-Lay.

"I was a kid who made some goofball decisions. That's been part of my journey. Maybe it's part of the whole Johnny Football deal that I'm trying to get away from," Manziel said. "I'm trying to show people I've grown up, and I've learned from my experiences. I feel like you're a stupid person if you continue to make the same wrong decisions. I don't want to hear, 'Oh, anybody in his situation would have been doing the same thing.' I'm 100 percent responsible for my actions."
    Manziel continued... "but that was all a long time ago. Like almost two months!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast