Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Johnny Manziel goes No. 1 to Houston in Mel's first 2014 mock draft

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Johnny Manziel goes No. 1 to Houston in Mel's first 2014 mock draft

I respect Gil Brandt, and he is certainly more qualified than I am to evaluate Manziel's talent.

Nonetheless, I see too much of the negatives we see with RG3 ("me" guy, too small to be a running QB) in Manziel.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm glad, though, that the Rams don't have to choose a new starter from among this year's QB class.
    berg8309 and Randart like this.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Read where Kiper wasn't allowed to predict trades. I would be happy with Matthews at 5 or 6 trading back but not at #2. As far as Evans no thanks rather have Ha Ha at 13...

Rambos is offline Registered User

By Josh Sanchez

Johnny Manziel will be one of the most controversial prospects in the 2014 NFL Draft class, with some scouts falling in love with his playmaking ability and others showing concern about whether or not his style of play will allow his body to hold up at the next level.

This will leave a number of teams internally battling in the war room on draft day about Manziel when they are on the clock and in the weeks leading up to selection day, but Manziel has support from at least one general manager picking in the top five.

According to Paul Gutierrez of ESPN.com, Oakland Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie is among the people who happen to be smitten by Manziel’s playmaking ways.

“He’s a playmaker,” McKenzie said. “Whether it’s him or one of these other guys, when you can add a playmaker, that’s what you shoot for.”

Of course, the Cleveland Browns are reportedly also very high on Manziel, so he may not even be available when the Raiders are on the clock. The Browns have the No. 4 overall pick in the draft — one pick before Oakland — so they may decide to roll the dice on the former Texas A&M signal-caller and leave Oakland looking for a different solution under center.
    Ok Browns the Raiders may want him just enough to get in front of you, don't let another QB get away.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Why Johnny Manziel Will End Up as No. 2 Pick in 2014 NFL Draft
    By
    Timothy Rapp
    (Featured Columnist) on January 14, 2014

Daniel Shirey-USA TODAY Sports

Johnny Manziel will be the second player selected in this year's NFL draft. The question is, which team will be picking him?

I suppose I should explain a few things first. For starters, I don't see the Houston Texans selecting Manziel. Bill O'Brien is more likely to opt to build around a more traditional pocket passer and will either select Teddy Bridgewater or go the best-player route and take Jadeveon Clowney.

The latter is a distinct possibility—Texans owner Bob McNair is very high on Clowney, calling him a "once-in-every-10-years physical specimen" on the team's official site.

And no, I don't think the St. Louis Rams will select him either. Rather, I think the Rams will almost surely trade that pick and continue to stockpile selections. They don't really need either a quarterback or defensive end, and general manager Les Snead already told Peter King of the MMQB that the team would be willing to move the pick.

You can bet teams like the Jacksonville Jaguars, Cleveland Browns, Oakland Raiders and Minnesota Vikings may all take that bait to get to No. 2 and take Manziel. And right now, it's looking like the Browns are the most likely suitor.

King wrote two weeks ago, "I hear Cleveland really likes Johnny Manziel." Jason La Canfora of CBS heard the same, noting, "The Browns are also very high on quarterback Johnny Manziel." There's also this, from Ian Rapoport of NFL.com:

And this, from Bruce Feldman of CBS:

Of course, this could all be a smoke screen from Cleveland. The team doesn't even have a coach, after all. What it does have, however, are two first-round picks, making it a logical trade partner for the St. Louis Rams, who could end up with the No. 4, No. 13 and No. 26 pick.

Yikes.

Now, there are surely some folks out there that will feel Manziel isn't worth such a high pick, or that he won't be a top-five pick at all. But if all the buzz out there is to be believed, Manziel is starting to enter near-certain status as a top-five talent.

Gil Brandt certainly thinks as much, as he told SiriusXM:

One can make a very strong argument that Manziel is the better prospect than Bridgewater, according to the NFL on ESPN Twitter account:

Manziel is also a pretty common top-five pick in mock drafts. Chris Burke of Sports Illustrated has him going No. 3 to the Jags. Dane Brugler of CBS has him going No. 4 to Cleveland, while Rob Rang has him going No. 5 to Oakland.

And Bleacher Report's Matt Miller gathered the following intel on Johnny Football:

With Manziel officially in the draft, NFL scouts can speak more freely about his draft stock. One AFC West scout told me that Manziel would be a top-10 pick, and probably top five. Another former NFL front office executive likened Manziel to a cross between "Russell Wilson and Brett Favre." That might seem like hyperbole, but Manziel is highly regarded among scouts and executives who have bought in on the mobile quarterback trend.

The point is this—if a team really wants Manziel, it's going to have to trade up to either No. 1 or No. 2 to select him. Otherwise, another team will likely do the same. Since I don't think the Texans will take him, I firmly expect Manziel to be the second overall pick.

And I won't be surprised in the least if he's posing with a Browns jersey on draft day.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-18-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I'm praying that Cleveland trades their 4th and 26th pick to the Rams, we'd be able to fill a lot of holes with those picks

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Seems odd that anyone would bother reporting that that "Cleveland really likes Manziel" when they haven't even hired a HC yet.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Seems odd that anyone would bother reporting that that "Cleveland really likes Manziel" when they haven't even hired a HC yet.
    I think it speaks to the dysfunction in Cleveland, and perhaps one reason why no head coach is jumping to take that job.

Randart is offline Registered User

For me and I might think Les Snead something like the 4th, their second their 1st in 2015 and perhaps another bonus pic to be named later might just get the job done. Would give Les his bonus of another pair of first rounders next year as well as 2 for this season. And then there is the bonus later round pics as well... Just makes sense if it is Cleveland or another top 7 seven team. As many of us believe we doubt the Rams move back much further than 7th or 8th place in the draft. I love that Johnny may be so highly prized as to get us some more first round picks! Go Johnny Go, Oh Go!

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I respect Gil Brandt, and he is certainly more qualified than I am to evaluate Manziel's talent.

Nonetheless, I see too much of the negatives we see with RG3 ("me" guy, too small to be a running QB) in Manziel.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm glad, though, that the Rams don't have to choose a new starter from among this year's QB class.
    Agree and agree this QB class is weak...next years will be great...that being said ....some new coach on a struggling team will def make Manziel a top 7 pick to energize the franchise and run him to he breaks...glad we have SamSam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12