Thread: Johnny Manziel, Jake Matthews impress in Chick-fil-A Bowl

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Johnny Manziel, Jake Matthews impress in Chick-fil-A Bowl

Johnny Manziel, Jake Matthews impress in Chick-fil-A Bowl
    By Daniel Jeremiah
    NFL Media analyst
    Published: Jan. 1, 2014 at 01:07 a.m.
    Updated: Jan. 1, 2014 at 01:20 a.m.

NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah is covering bowl games live every day this week. Here are some of his thoughts on the top players from Tuesday's Chick-fil-A Bowl between Texas A&M and Duke.

Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel
    Once again, Manziel embraced the big stage and put on a show. He threw for 382 yards and rushed for 73 yards. He accounted for five touchdowns (four passing, one rushing). He showed the ability to make every throw from the pocket -- he drove the ball on fade-stops, uncorked several accurate deep balls and showed timing/touch on deep crossers. I mentioned early in the day that he was the best quarterback I've ever graded when it comes to escaping a free pass rusher. He pulled several Houdini escape acts against Duke, wheeling out of the pocket, stepping through tackles and side-stepping several defenders in tight quarters.

Manziel is a very unique talent. Aside from his arm talent and playmaking skills, he is a rare competitor, and his toughness is outstanding. If he does elect to enter the draft, it will be fascinating to see how early he will be selected. I asked one NFL personnel executive about Manziel during halftime. He had an interesting take: "I just hope he doesn't land in our division."

Texas A&M OT Jake Matthews
    Matthews was very impressive tonight. He has outstanding size, foot quickness and flexibility. In pass protection, he is an easy knee-bender, plays with balance and has the base to anchor versus power rushers. In the run game, he isn't a mauler but he plays with outstanding technique. He is quick off the ball and he does a nice job of reworking his hands and feet to stay in position. He is athletic enough to adjust at the second level and he stays off the ground. He is an easy top 10 pick.

Texas A&M WR Mike Evans
    The redshirt sophomore finished the game with four catches for 72 yards, but he was held out of the end zone, had one drop and two 15-yard penalties. He isn't explosive in his release, but he can build speed down the field.

Evans wasn't much of a factor for the majority of the game, but his size is intriguing for NFL scouts. I stood next to him during warmups, and he is enormous. Physically, he reminded me of Vincent Jackson and Michael Floyd.

Texas A&M OT Cedric Ogbuehi
    Ogbuehi caught my eye at last year's Cotton Bowl. He was playing guard last season, and his combination of size and athleticism was easy to spot. With the departure of Luke Joeckel, he has slid outside to right tackle this season.

He had a very good game in the Chick-fil-A Bowl. In the run game, he had several dominating run blocks when he latched on, drove his feet and took the defender 10-15 yards down the field. In pass protection, he has excellent foot quickness, but he could improve his punch. Ogbuehi is late to shoot his hands at times and exposes his chest. That can be improved. He has all of the tools to be a successful starting OT at the next level.

Duke WR Jamison Crowder
    Before the game, two Duke coaches told me to focus on Crowder. He didn't disappoint.

An undersized junior pass catcher, Crowder (5-foot-9, 175 pounds) caught 12 balls for 163 yards and a touchdown. He lined up both outside and in the slot, and Texas A&M struggled to cover him throughout the game. He showed an explosive burst off the line of scrimmage, out of his breaks and after the catch. He ran by the entire secondary for 59-yard score in the first half, and he repeatedly created separation on intermediate routes. Crowder has very strong hands and I love the way he attacks the ball. He has the skillset to be an excellent slot wideout at the next level.

Duke QB Anthony Boone
    Boone threw two costly interceptions late in the game, but he made several impressive throws in this contest. He showed a deft touch on the deep touchdown to Crowder, and he also displayed patience and poise on several key third downs. He is a very mobile quarterback, and I love the way he fights for extra yardage. Duke's offense should be very explosive next season with both Boone and Crowder in the fold.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

Re: Johnny Manziel, Jake Matthews impress in Chick-fil-A Bowl

Manziel was fun to watch. He has all of the physical skills but I wonder about how his personality will transfer to the next level. I could see him becoming either Favre like or a Ryan Leaf. It looked like Evans has a little "growing up" to do as well. Jake Mathews made it look easy.

citr92 is offline Registered User

he'll get smashed if he tries to do what he does in the NFL

and tbh, i was rooting for duke to win and i totally forgot to watch matthews

i watched evans a little and he did nothing...well he got one catch when i watched him but nothing else

Mikey is offline Registered User

I thought Matthews looked great. Exactly what I hoped to see from him. Good run blocking and great pass blocking.

It seemed like Evans was taken out of the game more by TAMU than by Duke. Still a solid game.

Manziel I think could be a good QB if he decides to stay in the pocket and only run when he has to. He seems to run around behind the line of scrimmage in hopes of making some crazy pass play instead of taking off in a run lane and making a play with his legs. I admire the desire to make the pass play but you gotta think in the NFL especially vs the defenses in the NFC West he'd get crushed.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

I'd love for the Rams to draft Matthews, but in reading the breakdowns Ogbuehi sounds like more of a "Jeff Fisher type" of lineman.

If they trade down and miss out on Matthews I could see them possibly targeting Ogbuehi later in the first.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RosieJones View Post
    I'd love for the Rams to draft Matthews, but in reading the breakdowns Ogbuehi sounds like more of a "Jeff Fisher type" of lineman.

If they trade down and miss out on Matthews I could see them possibly targeting Ogbuehi later in the first.
    I'm curious to see if Ogbuehi comes out this year, or if he follows Matthews' lead and replaces him in 2014.

richtree is offline Registered User

This writer is obviously a big Johnny Football fan....Once thought of a potential national title run, now getting accolades for beating Duke....cmon....Duke......(SMH)....

this guy is undisciplined, playing the most disciplined position in the NFL QB..

RGIII is 10 times the athlete Manziel is the NFL is even eating him up......

Johnny football looks a lot like Jake Locker as a pro......

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Nice write up! I like Manziel, but I don't think he can handle it mentally. I think that'll be his downfall.

THE DREAM TEAM

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Manziels style won't work in the NFL. Mike Evans still has a lot of growing up to do... Matthews take him or leave him. Wasn't that impressed... Could get same kind of lineman at 13... Right now I have to say take BPA... Clowney if Houston takes Bridgewater...

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Manziel is magic the way he escapes pressure and creates plays, but I'm not convinced he'll be able to do the same things in the NFL. I love his intensity and drive, but as sosa mentioned, he could have a tough time staying on an even keel in the NFL. He seems like a boom or bust prospect to me.

Matthews showed me why I love his potential, and just took care of his business, which is what the Rams need.
    THOLTFAN81 and sosa39rams like this.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm curious to see if Ogbuehi comes out this year, or if he follows Matthews' lead and replaces him in 2014.
    If he stays at A&M I think he'll raise his profile quite a bit for the 2015 draft. If he continues to improve he could end up in the top 5.

RockinRam is online now Registered User

Man oh man what a game. We were screaming at our defense the entire time, but Johnny and Co. handled their business in the 2nd half.

As I've been saying, I don't think Evans is ready for the NFL. He doesn't have the ideal attitude I'd prefer in the Rams locker room, and he is still very raw. He should be more productive but has consistency issues.

Matthews is a stud. Sad to see him leave College Station, but would feel much better if the Rams got him.

It has been an unreal pleasure to watch Johnny. He's given us media attention that we've never had before (good and bad). He is a "free spirit" of sorts, but there's no denying that he's a fierce competitor and his passion for the game. You could see from last night how he tried to rile up the team and the crowd. He made all the throws last night that'd you like to see from a top tier QB.

A lot of people doubt his success in the NFL but I say he will be very successful. He's improved substantially from last year to this year. Last year he would take off and run a lot more frequently even if he had receivers downfield that were open. This year, he's extended more pass plays with his feet and rather than just running downfield, he'll look for his receiving options. His accuracy has gotten better, his instincts have gotten better, and his presence in the pocket has also gotten better.

IMO, if you asked me last year if I thought he'd be successful in the NFL, I would be very hesitant. Now, I am sure he will improve any offense that is lucky to draft him.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    This writer is obviously a big Johnny Football fan....Once thought of a potential national title run, now getting accolades for beating Duke....cmon....Duke......(SMH)....

this guy is undisciplined, playing the most disciplined position in the NFL QB..

RGIII is 10 times the athlete Manziel is the NFL is even eating him up......

Johnny football looks a lot like Jake Locker as a pro......
    i know...they got all wet over a 51-48 point win over a duke team that fell on themselves in the 4th

they gave up FOURTY EIGHT POINTS to DUKE

as much as i was rooting for duke and love that their coach was able to resurrect a duke FOOTBALL team no less, it's still duke and they played in the ACC where the only team that was head and shoulders over everyone else in the conference was FSU, and they may or may not be as good as they appear

A&M hasn't really ever played a good D so...they're lucky they weren't exposed by a good D

RockinRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    A&M hasn't really ever played a good D so...they're lucky they weren't exposed by a good D
    Sorry but this is just Grade A bull.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post

Matthews showed me why I love his potential, and just took care of his business, which is what the Rams need.
    Ditto. Nicely said Mike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast