Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Johnny Manziel, Jake Matthews impress in Chick-fil-A Bowl

citr92 is offline Registered User

Re: Johnny Manziel, Jake Matthews impress in Chick-fil-A Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Sorry but this is just Grade A bull.
    really though

okay..they played a couple of good (though honestly overrated of course)
    you look at the schedule the last two years..

no, not very many good defenses

so no, not grade A bull

maybe grade C lol

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    really though

okay..they played a couple of good (though honestly overrated of course)
    you look at the schedule the last two years..

no, not very many good defenses

so no, not grade A bull

maybe grade C lol
    Yes because the prolific Alabama defense is overrated and the fact that we scored 42 points (almost at will) was a fluke...

Not to mention that Missouri, Auburn, Ole Miss and Vanderbilt all boast solid defenses as well. Believe what you want to believe, but saying that A&M which plays in the toughest conference in College Football has played NO good defenses is just ridiculous.

Yes because the prolific Alabama defense is overrated and the fact that we scored 42 points (almost at will) was a fluke...

Not to mention that Missouri, Auburn, Ole Miss and Vanderbilt all boast solid defenses as well. Believe what you want to believe, but saying that A&M which plays in the toughest conference in College Football has played NO good defenses is just ridiculous.
    you first sentence confuses me...don't think you worded that right

but yea...you don't score 42 points on a "prolific" defense

they were good yea, but remember how everyone acts like an SEC team can play anyone in the NFL?

yea...overrated

missouri: lol
    auburn: decent but another overrated SEC defense, i mean washington state almost beat them
    ole miss: neh
    vanderbilt: not really

i'll rephrase it

texas A&M has played overrated defenses that are bad to decent but are constantly overrated

the SEC is just like every other conference, good at the top, middle of the pack teams, and bottom feeders

they have NEVER been as great as the biased media (like espn which has a multi billion dollar contract with) leads us to believe

LSU just played against freakin Iowa, who dumped on themselves and only won 21-14

south carolina is always overrated, beat a meh wisconsin team

and nebraska beat a georgia team that practically doesn't HAVE a defense...which gifted auburn a trip to the title game...you see that last play? Oh yea...GREAT defense right?

missouri let auburn score FIFTY NINE POINTS...GREAT DEFENSE, though to be fair they aren't a real SEC team...much like A&M

Auburn still let missouri score 42 against them, 41 against A&M, 38 against georgia...

Ole Miss: well, besides giving up 35 to vanderbilt and 38 to A&M they haven't been terrible...buuuuuut they lay teams like SE missouri st...who the heck is that?

Vanderbilt: James Franklin was a fan favorite for the USC job, he gets a lot out of his guys at Vanderbilt...he's a good coach, but vanderbilt is still vanderbilt though i'd say out of those you listed theirs has been the most admirable

so yea, the SEC is no greater than any other conference, and yes, they are OVERRATED

SEC is doing nothing spectacular in the bowl games, other conferences are winning just as much

alabama has oklahoma, well...oklahoma has "big game" bob stoops, so that looks like a win cause stoops always loses the big games

and FSU could route auburn, but idk...this one i'm not sure about but like i said, georgia gifted auburn a trip to the title game and once again, the two best teams are NOT in the title game FSU so far you have an argument, but for me...not for auburn

stanford could take them, mich st., USC could, and quite a few other teams could beat auburn

you first sentence confuses me...don't think you worded that right
    It's called sarcasm.

but yea...you don't score 42 points on a "prolific" defense
    This is terrible logic. With the exception of two shootout games against A&M and Auburn, the 2013 Alabama defense held offenses to a total of 60 points during the season. No team scored more than 17 points, and SEVEN teams were held to 7 points or fewer, with THREE teams scoring ZERO points.

they were good yea, but remember how everyone acts like an SEC team can play anyone in the NFL?
    You must be one of the Conference USA or Pac 12 die-hards. Alabama, LSU, Florida and Georgia combined for more draft picks in the 2013 NFL Draft than every other conference. You call this overrated?

Since 2007, the SEC produced 16 defensive linemen, followed by defensive backs (13) and offensive linemen (11) that were all first round draft picks.

i'll rephrase it

texas A&M has played overrated defenses that are bad to decent but are constantly overrated
    You are in denial.

LSU just played against freakin Iowa, who dumped on themselves and only won 21-14
    Did you even watch the game? LSU started a freshman QB whose FIRST college start was the bowl game.

south carolina is always overrated, beat a meh wisconsin team
    A win is a win is a win.

and nebraska beat a georgia team that practically doesn't HAVE a defense...which gifted auburn a trip to the title game...you see that last play? Oh yea...GREAT defense right?
    Nebraska beat a Georgia team in crappy weather conditions, and without those two horrid 4th down drops, Georgia wins the game.

Oh and by the way, I never stated Georgia had a good defense. Read again.

missouri let auburn score FIFTY NINE POINTS...GREAT DEFENSE, though to be fair they aren't a real SEC team...much like A&M
    You seem to think that points scored is a result of bad defense rather than a great offense having a better game plan and strategy.

Until this year, every SEC participant in the BCS Championship Game has ranked in the top 15 nationally in rush defense. Even Auburn's sketchy 2010 defense was No. 9 against the run at 109.1 yards allowed per game.

Auburn still let missouri score 42 against them, 41 against A&M, 38 against georgia...
    THE SEC has tough offenses, what can I say?

Ole Miss: well, besides giving up 35 to vanderbilt and 38 to A&M they haven't been terrible...buuuuuut they lay teams like SE missouri st...who the heck is that?
    Read above.

Vanderbilt: James Franklin was a fan favorite for the USC job, he gets a lot out of his guys at Vanderbilt...he's a good coach, but vanderbilt is still vanderbilt though i'd say out of those you listed theirs has been the most admirable
    Vanderbilt is still Vanderbilt? What does that even mean?

Nevermind the fact that they produced the SEC-leading rusher in...Zac Stacy.

so yea, the SEC is no greater than any other conference, and yes, they are OVERRATED
    Facts prove you wrong.

There's a reason why the SEC has been rated the toughest college football conference.

alabama has oklahoma, well...oklahoma has "big game" bob stoops, so that looks like a win cause stoops always loses the big games
    This is just an excuse that'll be given from people like you whenever Alabama wins.

the two best teams are NOT in the title game FSU so far you have an argument, but for me...not for auburn

stanford could take them, mich st., USC could, and quite a few other teams could beat auburn
    LOL. I bet you were one of those people that thought Notre Dame was going to kill Alabama last year.

There is a reason why the SEC has won the past SEVEN BCS National Championship games.

You must be a Pac-12 fanboy.
    Last edited by RockinRam; -01-01-2014 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Fixed Quotations
    sosa39rams likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

You can hate or love Johnny Manziel, but to say that he has played nothing but average or overrated defenses in his career is one of the dumbest comments I have ever heard.
    RockinRam and sosa39rams like this.

It's called sarcasm.

This is terrible logic. With the exception of two shootout games against A&M and Auburn, the 2013 Alabama defense held offenses to a total of 60 points during the season. No team scored more than 17 points, and SEVEN teams were held to 7 points or fewer, with THREE teams scoring ZERO points.

You must be one of the Conference USA or Pac 12 die-hards. Alabama, LSU, Florida and Georgia combined for more draft picks in the 2013 NFL Draft than every other conference. You call this overrated?

Since 2007, the SEC produced 16 defensive linemen, followed by defensive backs (13) and offensive linemen (11) that were all first round draft picks.

You are in denial.

Did you even watch the game? LSU started a freshman QB whose FIRST college start was the bowl game.

A win is a win is a win.

Nebraska beat a Georgia team in crappy weather conditions, and without those two horrid 4th down drops, Georgia wins the game.

Oh and by the way, I never stated Georgia had a good defense. Read again.

You seem to think that points scored is a result of bad defense rather than a great offense having a better game plan and strategy.

Until this year, every SEC participant in the BCS Championship Game has ranked in the top 15 nationally in rush defense. Even Auburn's sketchy 2010 defense was No. 9 against the run at 109.1 yards allowed per game.

THE SEC has tough offenses, what can I say?

Read above.

Vanderbilt is still Vanderbilt? What does that even mean?

Nevermind the fact that they produced the SEC-leading rusher in...Zac Stacy.

Facts prove you wrong.

There's a reason why the SEC has been rated the toughest college football conference.

This is just an excuse that'll be given from people like you whenever Alabama wins.

LOL. I bet you were one of those people that thought Notre Dame was going to kill Alabama last year.

There is a reason why the SEC has won the past SEVEN BCS National Championship games.

You must be a Pac-12 fanboy.
    um no...notre dame had no business being there

i'm a USC fan...not a pac-12 fan...or fanboy for that matter

not a secret that the SEC can pad offensive stats with cupcake OOC opponents

not to mention SEC honks can spin it however they want, i mean you just basically spun everything i said so i'm not going to comment any further

it's either a good defense or a tough offense...

and overrated DOESN'T FLIPPIN MEAN BAD

i mean for cryin out loud..overrated is what it means....OVER rated

that's it...that's all

o·ver·rate
    ˌōvərˈrāt/
    verb
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]past tense: overrated; past participle: overrated[/COLOR]

have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved.
      [COLOR=#878787 !important]"dismissing the work as pompous and overrated"[/COLOR]
      synonyms: overestimate, overvalue, think too much of, attach too much importance to, praise too highly More

but for the vanderbilt comment, i mean they're a middle of the pack team, that's it

zac stacy did a great job with average players, which is a good thing for him, he wasn't behind a vaunted O-line

for the alabama comment, i just mean that they'll probably win...i said nothing slight against alabama

all i can say is that the BCS has, besides the Texas and USC rose bowl game, EVERY.SINGLE.YEAR. There has been questions to who deserves to be there

for example...do you honestly thing a 2008 florida team deserved to go over a 2008 USC team?

do you think notre dame, a team that squeaked by several opponents and got a gift win against stanford, and pitt?

alabama and LSU was one of the worst championships i've seen besides the florida v. oklahoma game

right after saban complained about teams having to win their conference to go to the NC game, he doesn't win the conference and gets in, yea they won but i'm sure he didn't care

i mean the SEC is pumped up to be tough, so what do you think happens? Everyone thinks so and doesn't think otherwise

there definitely is an east coast/southern bias and it boils down to high school ratings out of high school

and i chant USC, not pac-12, i don't care about the rest of the conference, unlike "SEC fans" who, for some reason, get all excited over another conference opponent winning, even if they're rivals

it's stupid...just stupid

jmk321 is offline Registered User

If I was in charge of the Texans I would've hired Sumlin and his staff and taken Manziel with the first pick. He has good enough arm strength to make all the throws necessary at the next level and his hands are big like Russell Wilson's which scouts consider to be of huge importance for playing QB in the NFL. The whole immaturity issues seem like a media fabricated thing to me. He is a college kid doing things that college kids do and lets stop pretending that professional football players aren't a group of men who are mostly living in a prolonged adolescence. Most NFL players go broke after a year or 2 after they are out of the league so give me break about how Johnny Fooball's lack of maturity won't translate to success. The whole league is immature. He loves the game and his college partying clearly has not gotten in the way of his preparation and development as a QB. The only difference between Johnny Manziel and other college athletes is that the media deemed what he does off the field as story worthy.
    RockinRam likes this.

not to mention SEC honks can spin it however they want, i mean you just basically spun everything i said so i'm not going to comment any further
    If your points have many fallacies, I will prove them wrong.

it's either a good defense or a tough offense...

and overrated DOESN'T FLIPPIN MEAN BAD

i mean for cryin out loud..overrated is what it means....OVER rated

Well look what you posted earlier.

And yes, in my opinion I do not think SEC defenses are overrated.

for the alabama comment, i just mean that they'll probably win...i said nothing slight against alabama
    You just said A&M played no good defenses this year. That in itself is a slight against Alabama.

all i can say is that the BCS has, besides the Texas and USC rose bowl game, EVERY.SINGLE.YEAR. There has been questions to who deserves to be there

for example...do you honestly thing a 2008 florida team deserved to go over a 2008 USC team?

Yes the BCS system is flawed and later losses count more negatively than early losses as well as several other problems, but that doesn't take anything away from the fact that the SEC has beat teams from every other major conference.

do you think notre dame, a team that squeaked by several opponents and got a gift win against stanford, and pitt?
    Notre Dame's football team is not top tier.

i mean the SEC is pumped up to be tough, so what do you think happens? Everyone thinks so and doesn't think otherwise
    It's pumped up to be tough because there is a track record that backs it up. You don't see anyone shouting that the Sun Belt Conference is the toughest.

there definitely is an east coast/southern bias and it boils down to high school ratings out of high school
    Top high school recruits love going to SEC schools.

and i chant USC, not pac-12, i don't care about the rest of the conference, unlike "SEC fans" who, for some reason, get all excited over another conference opponent winning, even if they're rivals

it's stupid...just stupid
    No it is not stupid. I don't call myself a LSU fan, or a Bama fan, or an Auburn fan, but I will root for any SEC team to win against any non-conference teams.

That's why I will also root for NFC West teams that play in the playoffs/Superbowl.

When A&M was still part of the Big-12, I still stated the SEC was the toughest conference.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

This is becoming absolutely moronic (as AV would say). How could you possibly say Manziel isn't as good as people think because the SEC is overrated? Wow... I've definitely never heard that as a scouting method before.
    RockinRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Over the years, I've seen a lot of great college QBs who I felt would not translate to the NFL. Most of them, in fact, did not succeed as Pros. Manziel, I believe, is the next one of these QBs.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Matthews in the first half gave up a sack and gave up a tackle for a loss on a run play. The second half was flawless.

Johnny Football's performance was exactly what the Rams needed to get teams interested in trading up. The Browns, Raiders, Bucs and Vikings all need a QB and they know Jacksonville is likely taking one at #3. JFF's performance on the national stage might make him a #2 type pick. That was an eye popping performance and his leadership on the sidelines was what every NFL fan says they want from their QB.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

According to one of ESPN's SEC guys, Ogbuehi received a first round grade from the Draft Advisory Committee. So he might end up coming out after all, we'll have to see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12