Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Draftniksince1985
  • 1 Post By MauiRam

Thread: Jon Stewart - Carolina Panthers

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Jon Stewart - Carolina Panthers

Panthers signed Mike Tolbert to a 4 year deal. It is also being said that they have put Jon Stewart up on trading block. Believe it or not, he is only 24 years old. I think depending on the asking price, he could be a great back up for Steven Jackson!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Jon Stewart - Carolina Panthers

Interesting. We should have pursued Tolbert harder. He is a hybrid RB/FB. We currently need a FB and a back-up RB, and Tolbert is a tough runner.

Draftniksince1985 is offline Registered User

He's a great pass catcher too. Jon Stewart could probably start at WR for the Rams, LOL.
    rammiser likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

From the Charlotte Observer...

Panthers sign Mike Tolbert to 4-year deal
    March 19, 2012

The Carolina Panthers' “Double Trouble” backfield combination has become the “Triple Threat.”

But for how long?

Free agent running back Mike Tolbert signed a 4-year contract with the Panthers this morning, joining a backfield that already includes DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart.

Joel Turner, Tolbert's agent, said the deal includes an option bonus for the final two years of the contract that must be exercised next year. Turner would not disclose the financial terms of the deal, but said the first two years are guaranteed.

The inclusion of the option clause gives the Panthers protection in the event they are unable to re-sign Stewart next year. The Panthers also could look to trade Stewart before he enters the final year of his contract, although multiple team sources think that scenario is unlikely.

Tolbert, who spent the last four seasons in San Diego, drew interest from several teams, including the Chargers.

Tolbert led the Chargers in rushing in 2010. But he also brings a lot of versatility to Charlotte.

At 5-9 and 243 pounds, Tolbert also is an accomplished blocker and special teams player.

Tolbert led San Diego in special teams tackles last season. The former Coastal Carolina standout becomes the Panthers' third free agent acquisition with extensive special teams experience, following safety Haruki Nakamura and linebacker Kenny Onatolu.

The Panthers were near the bottom in most special teams categories in 2011, and hired an assistant special teams coach this offseason.
    Worth a phone call perhaps, but I'm not sure much would come out of it and the Day Two running backs are decent.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Interesting. We should have pursued Tolbert harder. He is a hybrid RB/FB. We currently need a FB and a back-up RB, and Tolbert is a tough runner.
    How about we get a good backup running back in the draft for a lot less money with really fresh legs? The last thing we need to do (IMO) is spend big bucks on a FA running back.

I agree with you that Tolbert is a tough runner, at 5' 9" and 243 lbs. he's a beast! That said, we need linemen more than a backup running back at this point. If we sign another FA player, I'm hoping it will be on the O or D-line ..

There is a reason (particularly with his only being 24 yrs old) the Panthers are apparently going to let Jon go. It would be nice to know what it is ..
    rammiser likes this.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    How about we get a good backup running back in the draft for a lot less money with really fresh legs? The last thing we need to do (IMO) is spend big bucks on a FA running back.

I agree with you that Tolbert is a tough runner, at 5' 9" and 243 lbs. he's a beast! That said, we need linemen more than a backup running back at this point. If we sign another FA player, I'm hoping it will be on the O or D-line ..

There is a reason (particularly with his only being 24 yrs old) the Panthers are apparently going to let Jon go. It would be nice to know what it is ..
    I don't think there is a specific reason. I live in NC and follow the Panthers even though I prefer not to. I think the main reason is, his contract ends after next year. After resigning DeAngelo, there is no question that Stewart will be asking for starting RB type of money. So it seems that trading him would be a better option than having him as their 3rd string back for year and letting him go for nothing.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'd love to pursue Jstew. He's basically built like SJAX and has repeatedly stepped in for Dwill and did a solid job, especially after Williams missed almost the whole season (2 years ago I believe).

THE DREAM TEAM

Believe me, that's my first option. I would prefer that. However, we have so many needs this year that we might not be able to afford to spend a quality pick on a back-up running back.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Given that there is a reasonable chance that the Rams wind up with Trent Richardson, do you really want to spend picks and/or cap dollars right now on a real backup running back?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Given that there is a reasonable chance that the Rams wind up with Trent Richardson, do you really want to spend picks and/or cap dollars right now on a real backup running back?

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Unless they are planning to never draft Trent Richardson

chiguy is offline Registered User

No offense to those who disagree, but we need to have a better backup at RB. Two reasons: 1) We lack playmakers on offense and ST. A smart upgrade here gives our team more offensive weapons, arguably our biggest need. If we don't get a dynamic player at WR, this is a prime target. 2) The bottom tends to drop out on older RBs rather quickly. SJax looks great, but if NFL history holds he's going to show up one year and just not be the same player. Would you rather have a plan or react after another losing season? I vote for being prepared; how awful would our offense be if this is the year the inevitable decline sets in?

I'd rank this need over just about anything *other* than WR. And if the right player were there and we didn't have at WR, I'd pick the good RB.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Answeran I live here in Charlotte) is that he is very injury prone.