39thebeast is offline Registered User

Jordan Gross is a Pipe dream

I have heard alot of talk about the Rams signing Jordan Gross, but I really don't see it happening. Here is why the rams are going to want to build there defense and they have two huge building block pieces they have to resign. OJ Otogwe is a top safety in the nfl and it will be imperative to Franchise or resign him. Bartell has stepped his game up and a guy with his size speed and ability is extremly hard to find at the CB position. The rams are going for a defensive coach and I just don't see him letting go of his 2 best defensive players in order to make Jordan Gross the highest paid tackle in the league. If available Nmandi Asomoguah or Julius Peppers make more sense to me even if Gross is a bigger need.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Jordan Gross is a Pipe dream

If it was...

Lose Atogwe and Bartell, get Gross

then I'm not for it.

But if we can keep those two and get Gross, I'm all for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    If it was...

Lose Atogwe and Bartell, get Gross

then I'm not for it.

But if we can keep those two and get Gross, I'm all for it.
    We are in horrible cap shape we can't sign gross 10 million plus a year and keep OJ there is no doubt about that unless we cut or trade 2 of 3 vets Holt, Little and Pace

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I wouldn't bet on us signing Gross either. In fact, I think we have a rather mild free agency, especially if we resign both Atogwe and Bartell. When you consider that the Rams are picking second overall for the second year in a row, those are two big contracts right there. It's tough in a smaller market to have to pay for those huge rookie deals and add big free agent deals on top of it.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I wouldn't bet on us signing Gross either. In fact, I think we have a rather mild free agency, especially if we resign both Atogwe and Bartell. When you consider that the Rams are picking second overall for the second year in a row, those are two big contracts right there. It's tough in a smaller market to have to pay for those huge rookie deals and add big free agent deals on top of it.

This is precisely why the NFL needs a rookie cap. The contracts are getting out of hand and it makes it very difficult to get out of the cellar if you have to keep spending all of your money on a high draft pick and can't make any splash in free agency because of it. Time for the NFL to make rookies earn their cash. This may also make college players think twice about coming into the NFL early. Right now a guy can sign a 50 million dollar 4 year contract and never live up to that. If a college player sees the most he can make in the first few years is say 2 mil first yr 3 mil second year and 4 mil third year they may think twice about leaving college early. The signing bonus shouldnt exceed a certain amount either keeping agents from screwing team over. It needs to happen. Ryan Leaf is a very rich man and he didnt deserve one penny of his contract. He's just one of many players that got paid to suck.
    Just Fix It

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Man i hate when people are so realistic. Just leave me in my own fantasy world ok, there was plenty of cap room to sign Gross in Madden.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

We pass on him. I can't see how losing these three for him will help.
    Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    We are in horrible cap shape we can't sign gross 10 million plus a year and keep OJ there is no doubt about that unless we cut or trade 2 of 3 vets Holt, Little and Pace
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    This is precisely why the NFL needs a rookie cap. The contracts are getting out of hand and it makes it very difficult to get out of the cellar if you have to keep spending all of your money on a high draft pick and can't make any splash in free agency because of it. Time for the NFL to make rookies earn their cash. This may also make college players think twice about coming into the NFL early. Right now a guy can sign a 50 million dollar 4 year contract and never live up to that. If a college player sees the most he can make in the first few years is say 2 mil first yr 3 mil second year and 4 mil third year they may think twice about leaving college early. The signing bonus shouldnt exceed a certain amount either keeping agents from screwing team over. It needs to happen. Ryan Leaf is a very rich man and he didnt deserve one penny of his contract. He's just one of many players that got paid to suck.
    You're exactly right. The potential removal of the salary cap after this season can't help things, either.

However, Bill Parcells hit a winner with his Jake Long negotiations last season, actually taking the number down from Russell's contract the year before.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I agree, hopefully we see a new CBA and a rookie salary cap soon. It'll be interesting to see what kind of effect a rookie cap has on draft strategy. Suddenly those top picks are worth a bit more in trade value, seeing as how the one negative of having them (huge contracts) would be eliminated. Plus teams may not feel as obligated to play a guy early if he doesn't cost as much. Good news for the early QBs.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    We are in horrible cap shape
    What is our cap number?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm sick of us sitting pat on free agency then go out and be 4-12 or 2-14 or 6-10 or whatever. I hope our new GM breathes life into this team by doing something instead of signing our retreads and going out and losing to the whiners twice, the seahawks twice and the cardinals twice. This team needs a good fish cleaning (like Tuna did in Miami) cap be damned.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I think panic free agent signing (see Drew Bennett) is worse than doing nothing. I would rather pay bartell and OJ than overpay for aging players.

On the other hand, if we can get Matt Birk for a decent price, i am in. We desparately need a center.

ramming speed to all

general counsel