Thread: Josh Freeman

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Josh Freeman

Where is Kansas State's big arm QB slated to go in the draft? Obviously we wouldn't take him if he is a first rounder, but what is everyone's opinions about grabbing him later in the draft and prepping him to be the QB of the future?

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Josh Freeman

I think someone that doesn't have a lot of needs will grab him too early for us to draft

we can't look Qb until round 4

smizzhfx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I think someone that doesn't have a lot of needs will grab him too early for us to draft

we can't look Qb until round 4
    I don't know how you can make statements like that. We will draft based on need and value. If, for example, Sam Bradford is still on the board at the top of the 2nd round when we are on the clock, you cannot say that we wouldn't take him simply because we have other needs. A backup QB is a pretty big need, as well as a QB for the future. If the GM/Coach/FO think Bradford, Stafford, etc. is their guy, they'll take him.

Bald_81 is online now Registered User

Here is the problem with me. If we don't take one of Stafford/Bradford, I DO NOT want to take a QB at the latest until round five. Why? Let's say next year we suffer a similar fate and have a top five pick. Next year, we may get a chance at Mark Sanchez if we pick that early, but if we were to take a QB at the top of round two or three, everyone on here will say that we have a developmental QB on the roster and we just spent a high pick on a QB the previous season. This would hinder and prevent us from taking a potential franchise QB in Sanchez next season, especially if Bulger is still steadily declining and the team does not do well. I would like this to be prevented, so if there is no franchise QB in our team's eyes in round one, do not take one until round five. That is my view, anyway.

keith m. klink Guest

If your always thinking that way ,( that maybe next year this guy is there so don't do anything with that position this year) than you don't want the team to be better , you just want a big name as of now ..

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Interesting article on Freeman from the Topeka Capital-Journal...

Freeman bound for NFL
    Junior will forego final season of eligibility, chance to play under K-State legend Snyder
    By Austin Meek
    The Capital-Journal
    Published Friday, January 02, 2009

Ron Prince and Josh Freeman came to Kansas State together, and it appears they will leave that way as well.

Freeman, K-State's starting quarterback for most of the Prince era, told ESPN he will forego his senior season instead of returning to play for new coach Bill Snyder.

"I've done all the research," Freeman told ESPN on Thursday. "Kansas State is starting over, and this is what I've always wanted to do. The time is right."

Freeman told ESPN he received a second-round grade from the NFL draft advisory committee. With his strong arm and prototype NFL frame 6-foot-6, 240 pounds first-round status isn't out of the question.

K-State had no official comment Thursday. A message left for Freeman's father, Ron Freeman, was not returned.

It was widely speculated that 2008 could be Freeman's last season in Manhattan, and Prince's dismissal likely cemented the decision. The coach and quarterback will be forever linked, though the legacy won't be particularly positive.

Freeman will depart as K-State's all-time leader in yards (8,078), touchdowns (44) and total offense (8,421).

Yet the record many will remember is 14-18, Freeman's mark as a starting quarterback. The Grandview, Mo., native never delivered the on-field results many expected when Prince lured him away from Nebraska shortly after being hired.

Freeman labeled himself as the Big 12's best quarterback before his junior season, but he never approached the success of many of his Big 12 peers. He threw for 2,945 yards this season, completing 59 percent of his passes with 20 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

"Really, I want to stay," Freeman said before his final game at K-State. "I plan on being here. It really comes down to my situation here and if I feel I can get better and improve my game."

But with a new coach bringing a new offensive philosophy, Freeman instead will take his chances at the next level.

"I hope to bring leadership and toughness to an NFL team," Freeman told ESPN.
    If he's still on the board when the second day starts, we should keep an eye on him. But I'm not sure I'd use a first day pick on him, even if he tears up at the combine. He seems to have the tools you look for, but didn't see to put it all together. Maturity may be an issue as well.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

He is Jamarcus Russel junior, I don't really want that he wildly inaccurate and inconsistent.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

This guy is terrible! I saw him play in person in Boulder this year and while he was the tallest person on the field at any given time, his passes were remarkably inaccurate. He threw all his crossing routes a good 5 feet behind his wide receivers. I also have a friend at K-state who is friends with him and says that he doesn't have anything that even resembles a work ethic. I know his upside makes him very interesting, but pass!

Bald_81 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    If your always thinking that way ,( that maybe next year this guy is there so don't do anything with that position this year) than you don't want the team to be better , you just want a big name as of now ..
    But it is relevant in this case because any QB we take, whether it be in the first round or last, will have no impact on the team's outcome whatsoever. He won't play, so how is he making the team better or worse next season? That's what I'm getting at. Then people next season will say "Oh we can't take [Insert QB] because we took one last year so we can't give up on him already". That's my main gripe. If there is no franchise QB in our eyes at our spot, don't take one until after round five. We can make our team BETTER by addressing positions that will allow rookies to see the field rather than using a higher pick on a 3rd string rookie QB who will just warm the bench all season long and not help get us wins.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -01-09-2009 at 05:42 AM.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Trust me when I say that KU's midget QB has a better chance at succeeding in the pro's than Freeman. Freeman looks the part, but he's immature and doesn't excel. We already have those guys on the roster.