Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Josh Gordon thinks Browns take QB

Josh Gordon thinks Browns take QB
    Updated: March 27, 2014, 2:03 PM ET
    By Pat McManamon | ESPN.com

Josh Gordon is "pretty sure" the Cleveland Browns will select a quarterback with the fourth pick in the draft, but he's not sure which one.

At the same time, the Browns' standout wide receiver, speaking on "SportsCenter" on Thursday, says the pick is "up in the air." He also quipped that asking him whom the Browns should draft first was "putting me in a position to incriminate myself."

"There's no telling," Gordon said. "I talked with Ray [Farmer, the team's general manager], I talked with [owner] Jimmy [Haslam]. The choice is really up in the air right now. I'm pretty sure it's a quarterback and I just really can't say which one. I'm not real sure."

Gordon then talked about two quarterbacks but did not initially mention 2012 Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel, whose pro day at Texas A&M was Thursday.

"There's plenty of guys on the list right now," Gordon said. "Blake Bortles is definitely one of those guys that just may do it for us. Teddy Bridgewater is a great talent. But there's no telling."

Manziel has been the subject of much debate, with some calling him a certain first-round pick and others -- including ESPN's Merril Hoge and Ron Jaworski -- saying they would not take him in the first three rounds.

Gordon later added on ESPN's "First Take" that he had dinner with Farmer recently and that free agency and quarterbacks were discussed. Though Farmer was noncommittal, Gordon said Manziel "seems to be the top guy on my list right now" and that he'd "bring a whole different dynamic" to Cleveland.

In his view, Gordon believes Manziel's skills will translate to the pro game.

"I think it might not be as hard as most people believe it to be, simply because of the fact we have guys like Russell Wilson now, shorter quarterbacks. You see Drew Brees doing it [also]," he said. "Johnny seems that much more mobile, if anything. He seems to elude defenders a whole lot better.

"I know it's hard to tell, and there's a whole lot of mixed reviews on him. But he's bringing highlights to the game that a lot of people haven't seen in a long time. I think he'll be great for the NFL."

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Josh Gordon thinks Browns take QB

As good of a player Gordon is, I doubt that the brass there is consulting with him on their draft strategy. That said, he has a whole lot more experience with their roster than they do at this point too. At the end of the day, this does nothing but help the Rams as the possibility of the Browns taking a QB after both the Texans and Jags looking like strong candidates as well leads to those on the outside(I'm looking at you Bucs & Vikings) needing to get up to #2 to have a shot at one of the three. It's smoke screen season, but anything that points to a scarcity of Quarterbacks or Pass rushers helps us out.
    I believe!

FestusRam is offline Registered User

This could possibly just be a very creative smokescreen.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Gordon
    I'm pretty sure it's a quarterback and I just really can't say which one.
    (at practice)

Gordon: Hey Brian, you ain't throwing me the ball! Who you throwing to?

Hoyer: I'm pretty sure it's a receiver and I just really can't say which one.

Gordon: What??

Hoyer: Jordan, Greg, this is Sammy. Sammy, this is Jordan and Greg. You three run down field and I'll throw you the ball.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

I get the feeling that Manziel is being haunted by Tebowmania. At least from some of the media.