Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Josh Gordon, WR, Baylor - Supplemental Draft Prospect

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Josh Gordon, WR, Baylor - Supplemental Draft Prospect

Nope, we need to develop our current crop of receivers. Right now, I project our WR depth chart to be Amendola, Smith, Pettis, Salas, Quick, and Givens. If Quick can develop to be our #1 WR between year 2-4, then we have our problem solved. I think he'll be a better fit with the Redskins (RGIII connection)
    ManofGod likes this.

RamFan876 is offline Registered User

I say pick him up now that the Rams have a go for broke draft mentality. If Jenkins deserved a second round pick, this clip alone should earn Gordon a 4th or 5th. :-)

richtree is offline Registered User

I have watched this guy a lot because I had him higher than Kendall Wright on my board before last season...

Then he has the goes to Utah....So is he good ?

Yes, he is a good and athletic player....but he does a little bit of everything well, nothing good enough to be a starter in the NFL...

He has good speed not great., he is big not big enough...strong not strong enough....routes are vanilla and is breaks are average

I think he is like a special teams player that can be a #5 WR on a team, but since he doesn't have the intangibles that he could rise up when he is only of the field for punt and kickoff coverages....

so I would pass....but he could be a #5 somewhere if they wanna take a chance

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    so I would pass....but he could be a #5 somewhere if they wanna take a chance
    But you have him ranked higher than 1st rounder Kendall Wright?
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i don`t know too much about the kid..but when you can these days pick up a decent proven vet for 4th or 5th round picks,sometimes even less..with the fact that we already have plenty of potential at the position ,i`d rather us get say a proven veteran OG or another OLB something we need more than stockpiling yet more potential at wideout.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    But you have him ranked higher than 1st rounder Kendall Wright?
    I think he was saying he had him ranked higher before last season though. I would be fine with a 6th round, maybe 5th, if not pass though. It is good to have another big WR to see if he can become over #1 guy, but we already have too many young guys on the roster.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

From ESPN...

Former Baylor wide receiver Josh Gordon ran a 4.52 40-yard dash in front of representatives from 21 teams at his pro day Tuesday, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Gordon held the workout in advance of Thursday's supplemental draft. He spent last season out of football after Baylor dismissed him from the team in August 2011. Gordon then transferred to Utah but had to leave the school for the supplemental draft for financial reasons.

Gordon left Baylor after being suspended for violating an unspecified team rule. The Houston native said the suspension was for a failed drug test.

"It (suspension at Baylor) was due to a failed marijuana test," Gordon told the Chronicle after working out at the Houston Texans' facility Tuesday. "It was against school policy, of course, and I was (suspended) in the summer. I've definitely put that part of my life behind me. I don't plan to ever go back there. It was a difficult time, but I learned from it, and I've moved on."

Gordon told the Chronicle that he has tried to be as honest as possible with scouts and said he was "appreciative" of Tuesday's large turnout that featured six teams with multiple representatives.

"I was appreciative of so many coming to watch me," the 6-foot-3, 225-pound Gordon told the Chronicle. "Sure, it was a lot of pressure with so many eyes on you, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle.

"Having a chance to play in the NFL is a dream come true for me and my family. I appreciate having this opportunity. If I'm not drafted, I'll be happy to get a chance as a free agent."

One NFL scout told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Monday that Gordon could go as high as the second round, and he is considered a rare talent as far as supplemental drafts go.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Russ Lande Sporting News

Josh Gordon

(Vital statistics: 6-3, 220 pound, 4.52 in the 40-yard dash)

STRENGTHS: Gordon's ability to pluck the ball, turn upfield and gain yards after the catch could turn him into an NFL playmaker. While his route running needs work, his ability to use his upper-body strength helps Gordon push off defenders to create separation. Gordon can reach back to catch passes thrown behind him without having to slow, which allows him to quickly get started down the field.

Gordon finds creases after the catch and runs through arm tackles. He turns quick passes behind the line of scrimmage into 10-yard gains and first downs. Gordon has superior speed for his size. This allows him to get downfield separation.

For a player with his physical talent and play-making ability, Gordon surprises with his willingness, effort and production as a blocker.

WEAKNESSES: Gordon was on the verge of being a productive college receiver after a 42-catch sophomore season in 2010. However, he was dismissed from Baylor violating team rules. Gordon was arrested in 2010 on a marijuana possession charge. He sat out the 2011 season when he transferred to Utah. There are questions about Gordonís maturity and decision making.

Gordon must work on running sharp, precise routes, especially those that require sharp cuts like "out," "dig" and "curl."

In order to take advantage of his acceleration and speed at the NFL level, Gordon must improve his initial quickness off the ball. He has a bad habit of picking up the heel on his back foot at the snap before driving forward, which slows his release.

Gordon must run with a better bend and body lean to release from NFL defenders. In addition, he must wrap up the ball with both hands after catches to avoid fumbling. In the four games graded, Gordon fumbled three times.

BOTTOM LINE: Based on Gordon's 2010 game tape at Baylor, he had better hands and run-after-the-catch ability than Kendall Wright, who was the 2012 NFL Draft's 20th overall pick by the Tennessee Titans. Gordon must improve his routes, but in terms of pure physical skills he has all the tools to be a highly productive NFL receiver.

Gordon is likely to be drafted in the third or fourth round because of his size and potential. Based purely on film evaluation, Gordon is a better prospect than Brian Quick (St. Louis Rams) and Stephen Hill (New York Jets), both of whom were second-round pick in April.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Yep, it looks like they are saying he will go for a 3rd round pick, which might be too high for us? However we will have 2 first and 2 second. So I wouldn't mind it, idk, we might just have too many WRS on our roster then. And we might cut someone that turns out to be good

berg8309 is offline Registered User

2nd round pick to Browns. Fine by me, we didn't need another project, we have plenty.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

That means we would have had to have bid a 2nd round pick to get him. That's too much for a guy who hasn't played a down of competitive football since 2010.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That means we would have had to have bid a 2nd round pick to get him. That's too much for a guy who hasn't played a down of competitive football since 2010.
    Actually, the Rams would have had to have used a first-round pick to get him.

Due to the weighted lottery used to determine supplemental draft order, the Browns were picking second in the draft order. That means they would have beaten out every team for Gordon except the team picking first, which was Buffalo.

The only way the Rams could have gotten Gordon ahead of Cleveland was to use a first round pick.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Actually, the Rams would have had to have used a first-round pick to get him.

Due to the weighted lottery used to determine supplemental draft order, the Browns were picking second in the draft order. That means they would have beaten out every team for Gordon except the team picking first, which was Buffalo.

The only way the Rams could have gotten Gordon ahead of Cleveland was to use a first round pick.
    Well... then CLEARLY the Rams should have outbid them.

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

At least the Rams could have guaranteed spending next years 1st round pick on a WR

berg8309 is offline Registered User

The Browns must have really wanted him. Of course, with the addition of Quick and Givens, and the return of Amendola, I'd say their WR corp was in worse shape, but that's on paper.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast