jquarando is offline Registered User

Jquarando's Best Mock Ever

Ok its time for the scrutiny to begin. I took a look at our team and our most glaring needs and put together this draft. I based all my picks on my thoughts on team need and not best available. Feel free to mock and applaud.

1. Chris Long -DE- Assuming we stay at number 2 this is the only guy worth of picking a feels a need as well. Can rotate with Hall and take over by week 8.

2. Josh Barrett. -SS- Also assuming we stay put in the second round. He maybe a little of a reach but at 6'3" he is a rarity in the secondary. Would have to transistion to SS. I see SS as our 3rd priority but no centers worthy of a second round pick.

3. Adam Spieker. -OC- Good size and mauled every nose tackle he has seen. Seeing that we only have two centers on our roster, one of which will more than likely retire and the other is a UFA I feel that center is our highest priority. I dont know how you can go into a season without a center and not see it as the highest priority. Here we get prolly the best senior center in the draft and has expierience in a high risk high reward offense.

4. Eddie Royal -WR- Here we get our blazing speed guy. Can also double as a return man. He may look small but he is very strong and could run underneath and will be a threat in open space. Eventually he will replace Hall and compete for our number 3 guy with stanley when bruce retires.

5. Ezra Butler -OLB- Led his team in tackles and has played in the 3-4. Will provide depth behind our starters and culberson and can come in on some of the 3-4 packages while learning our system.

6. Tad Miller -OG- Very competative and a good size. He will be able to come in and provide depth at the Guard position and even compete with setterstrom for the starters role.

6(Den). John Shaw -OL Swing Man- Yes I get the irony in drafting this guy but he has played both guard and tackle. He has good size and has underachieved to this point. Would come in and have to push himself to make the roster but has some upside.

7. Dexter Jackson -WR- The rams draft another guy with tremendous speed and knows how to win. Has been the go to guy for his team. At this point in the draft its time to takes some reaches and the rams are happy if he is still around.

7(Cin(If I remember correctly)). Josh Johnson -QB- Rams again go to D-II for some talent. Has great mobility, arm strength, quick release and goes thru progressions as fast as Warner did. Will compete for number 3 and hopefully make the practice squad. Ive seen some analysts say he is 4th or 5th rounder but I dont know who else to put in for this pick.
    Last edited by jquarando; -02-14-2008 at 01:48 PM.

STLunatic is offline Registered User

Re: Jquarando's Best Mock Ever

Josh Johnson won't be there round 7.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

You'll be dreaming to find Josh Johnson there in the 7th because someone will take a flyer on him way before then. Besides that, not bad.

keith m. klink Guest

Just remember this , the 1st rd. #2 pick has to be a pro-bowl player . the 2nd rd #33 pick has to be an instant starter , and thats all there is to it . the 3rd , 4th and 5th ROUNDERS HAVE TO BE ABLE TO BE LEGITIMATE BACKUP PLAYERS ON THIS ROSTER . there can be no reaches this year , and no projects either . Linehan had 2-years of that , and our drafting was in no means great. it hasn't been great since they were in L.A.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Butler also will be gone in the 5th. If you are basing this on need OT is a bigger need than SS and C. Josh Barrett barely played this year he is not worth that pick he is a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Butler also will be gone in the 5th. If you are basing this on need OT is a bigger need than SS and C. Josh Barrett barely played this year he is not worth that pick he is a 3rd or 4th rounder.

How do you see OT as a bigger need than SS? Last time I checked we had a HOF LT and a pretty descent RT. I dont see how you draft depth for OT in the second round. Our SS is aging and a little passed his prime. I see SS our second need behind center because mainly WE DONT HAVE A CENTER. If we drafted purely on need we would take a reach in the second on a guy who is 6'3 and has a dominating physical presense. Remember this draft is based purely on need. OT is not a need. Depth at OT is a need. We have descent starters at all positions except CENTER, Opposite Little and SS. Please tell me how we could not reach for SS in the second.

Remember when we passed on Cromartie?

I don't see what your point is with Cromartie because you are talking about drafting on need, but CB was a need back then.

Anyways you are saying SS is a bigger need because our SS is aging, but so is Pace. Do you know how many games he has started the last 2 years? You could have the same criticism you have about Chavous about Pace simply because he hasn't played. You don't reach for about 64 picks to early just becuase it is a need. Barret barely played this year and was hobling when he did. A guy banged up on the bench just isn't that scary to me. Some people don't even put Barrett as a top 5 safety. We don't have a center we have Brett Romberg, Dustin Fry (fourth round pick last year), Andy McCollum. How do we not reach for a SS because WR and OT are bigger needs and are greater values at that point.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Up until now, I've been saying that we need to go DE and OT in the first two rounds, preferably Chris Long in the first. This was all before a multitude of offensive linemen were released by early pick teams.

What does this mean? Well, I now think that it should be our plan to try to go SS in the second if the value is there because I think we should be able to pick up one or two quality depth offensive linemen if our new director of personnel is worth a damn. I'd say that Shelton of the Dolphins is a priority because he was exactly what we needed last year and he can even compete with Barron to start at RT.

itsguud is offline Registered User

I say we go out and Contract Peyton Manning to do our drafting. He is the man at that. Just throw him a little under the table deal, no one needs to know... but you know offer him a QB job when the Colts start going down hill in a couple years... you know, under the table...!

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I don't see what your point is with Cromartie because you are talking about drafting on need, but CB was a need back then.

Anyways you are saying SS is a bigger need because our SS is aging, but so is Pace. Do you know how many games he has started the last 2 years? You could have the same criticism you have about Chavous about Pace simply because he hasn't played. You don't reach for about 64 picks to early just becuase it is a need. Barret barely played this year and was hobling when he did. A guy banged up on the bench just isn't that scary to me. Some people don't even put Barrett as a top 5 safety. We don't have a center we have Brett Romberg, Dustin Fry (fourth round pick last year), Andy McCollum. How do we not reach for a SS because WR and OT are bigger needs and are greater values at that point.

Have you been watching the rams? Romberg is an UFA meaning he isnt on our team. McCollum is scheduled to retire. Linehan has said Fry projects as a guard in the NFL. Simply put we dont have a center on our team. Secondly OT's play eons longer than a SS so saying our 32 old SS who you can definitly tell has lost a step is a greater need than our 32 year old LT who has suffered 2 freak injuries is beyond me. Especially when even if Pace is 75% he is still better than 90% of all LT's in the NFL and 99% better than any rook you are going to bring in. Barret is a top tier safety. Look at him play. So what if he was hobled last year. Again this guy is 6'3 and can learn from chavous. It is very rare to find a guy this tall in your secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by jquarando View Post
    Have you been watching the rams? Romberg is an UFA meaning he isnt on our team. McCollum is scheduled to retire. Linehan has said Fry projects as a guard in the NFL. Simply put we dont have a center on our team. Secondly OT's play eons longer than a SS so saying our 32 old SS who you can definitly tell has lost a step is a greater need than our 32 year old LT who has suffered 2 freak injuries is beyond me. Especially when even if Pace is 75% he is still better than 90% of all LT's in the NFL and 99% better than any rook you are going to bring in. Barret is a top tier safety. Look at him play. So what if he was hobled last year. Again this guy is 6'3 and can learn from chavous. It is very rare to find a guy this tall in your secondary.
    Who says the Rams won't resign Romberg. Scheduled to retire? Linehan has evaluated alot of players the wrong way, so he isn't the best guy to go too for personal advice. Injuries shorten careers. The rook isn't going to start he is just going to replace pace in the future. Height isn't everything Bob Sanders is very short and arguably the best Safety in the NFL. I'm not saying he is bad i actually like him i just think theirs is no need to reach for him when we have bigger needs and can get Barret with our 3rd or 4th round pick