Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Julio Jones> Terrell Owens.

Ive been watching a few of the upcoming WR prospects for this years draft. Im noticing a lot of similaritys between J.Jones and Terrell Owens. This guy is starting to grow on me.
    Baldwin is quite impressive also, looks the more natural pass catcher. There isnt an awful lot between them in my opinion.
    Trade back and take Baldwin, or just take Julio Jones at 14. What would you do?
    I think they will both be there when we pick at 14, so things are becoming interesting.
    Ill know a lot more after the combine.
    Can anyone out there give me there opinions on Baldwin and Jones, preferably unbiased. Some people refer to Baldwin as more of a No.2.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -01-28-2011 at 09:42 AM.

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Re: Julio Jones> Terrell Owens.

Baldwin has some off the field issues so I doubt Spags and Devan will want to spenda high pick on him. Which is fine with me, most scouts are not sold on him.

However; Julio Jones is a beast. Some scouts believe he's a better prospect than AJ Green (Micheal Lombardi, National Football Post). I would rather have Jones too, as he is very very physical, and he can get big time yards after the catch (he was compared to Dickerson running the ball).

Also, I think he could be an exception to the rookie receiver rule (they can't contribute right away), because he is such a great runner. You can throw him short and easy stuff and let him see what he can do.

He is great at separation so you know he can get room for some YAC (which was a problem for Gilyard).

I am not a BAMA fan at all, and to be honest after the season my impression was to not draft a WR in round 1.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Can anyone out there give me there opinions on Baldwin and Jones, preferably unbiased. Some people refer to Baldwin as more of a No.2.
    I wrote a brief scouting report on Baldwin in the Draft/FA Big East sub-forum. I'm not particularly high on him, but he's good value in the second round for a team needing a WR. I'd rather that team not be the Rams, though.

Thanks for the info TylerBishop and Nick. I, like you, until the last week. I was totally against the Rams drafting a reciever in the 14th slot. I desperately wanted the Rams to address other parts of the team first. With the hiring of Josh McDaniels and his penchant for bigger recievers and a more aggressive approach, the thinking has to be changed somewhat. Most spread like offense's, deploy smaller, mobile type lineman. McDaniel's likes his interior lineman to be on the large side. YES>>>>>>>> OH YEAH. My biggest worry was seeing S>Jackson getting stonewalled again next season on the 3rd,4th and 1 plays, and in the red zone where the physicallity of the OL is tested!
    At first I was not overly impressed with Jones, this was just after watching the highlights of A>J Green and Justin Blackmon, this maybe influenced my thinking.
    I think losing that game in Seattle was a blessing in disguise. We are in a good position to grab a difference maker at numerous positions of need. Unless we're unlucky. It all comes down to the scouting now, DESPAGS.? Best of luck
    GO RAMS

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Ive been watching a few of the upcoming WR prospects for this years draft. Im noticing a lot of similaritys between J.Jones and Terrell Owens. This guy is starting to grow on me.
    Baldwin is quite impressive also, looks the more natural pass catcher. There isnt an awful lot between them in my opinion.
    Trade back and take Baldwin, or just take Julio Jones at 14. What would you do?
    I think they will both be there when we pick at 14, so things are becoming interesting.
    Ill know a lot more after the combine.

Did you grow up in the UK ? Firstly, did you ever watch T.O. play? Julio Jones is alot more like A.Boldin than T.O.

Secondly, Baldwin is big and slow where Jones is fast. The knock on Jones is his hands. Watch how many catches are against his body. Compare that to a guy like Fitz or Nicks that goes out and grabs the ball with their hands to have the ability to make moves quickly after the catch.

Physically, Jones is too good not to end up a NFL starter, but his hands/routes/instincts will show if he is as good as Boldin or a James Jones type. I think Jones will end up being a Braylon Edwards....he will come into the league and fash his talents but never really put in all together to be a legit #1 for years to come.

Now Baldwin is much harder to project. He is slower and longer. He almost has the TE hybrid ability for the slot. He reminds you of a cross between Malcolm Floyd and LJ Smith. He is never open in college and just out size/strenghts the DBack for the ball. My opinion is he is more like James Hardy / Limas Sweed and not worth an early pick over guys like Tolliver and Little.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I have a write up of Julio Jones posted in the SEC section you can go to take a look

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Did you grow up in the UK ? Firstly, did you ever watch T.O. play? Julio Jones is alot more like A.Boldin than T.O.

Secondly, Baldwin is big and slow where Jones is fast. The knock on Jones is his hands. Watch how many catches are against his body. Compare that to a guy like Fitz or Nicks that goes out and grabs the ball with their hands to have the ability to make moves quickly after the catch.

Physically, Jones is too good not to end up a NFL starter, but his hands/routes/instincts will show if he is as good as Boldin or a James Jones type. I think Jones will end up being a Braylon Edwards....he will come into the league and fash his talents but never really put in all together to be a legit #1 for years to come.
    Have you ever seen Julio Jones play? TO may be the perfect comparison to Julio Jones

Julio Jones physically exactly like TO. Playing style also very similar to TO they are physical fast big play threats. Both guys get alot of yac and are difficult to bring down. They both have concentration lapses and drop balls from time to time. Say what you want about TO character, but the guy is tough and he works so does Jones, but he does it with his mouth closed. TO wasn't the perfect route runner coming out of College either, but he consistently got better and so will Jones once he gets in the league and gets coached up.

As for the guys you are comparing him to Julio is bigger and faster than James Jones or Boldin. He also is high character guy, who motivated to succeed, and is constantly getting better. unlike Braylon Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Have you ever seen Julio Jones play? TO may be the perfect comparison to Julio Jones

Julio Jones physically exactly like TO. Playing style also very similar to TO they are physical fast big play threats. Both guys get alot of yac and are difficult to bring down. They both have concentration lapses and drop balls from time to time. Say what you want about TO character, but the guy is tough and he works so does Jones, but he does it with his mouth closed. TO wasn't the perfect route runner coming out of College either, but he consistently got better and so will Jones once he gets in the league and gets coached up.

As for the guys you are comparing him to Julio is bigger and faster than James Jones or Boldin. He also is high character guy, who motivated to succeed, and is constantly getting better. unlike Braylon Edwards
    Look, I wouldn't be totally unhappy with drafting J.Jones but you guys all think he is the next TO....that is just nuts. PS -- he testified in a murder trial with a shooting of a friend he was riding in a truck with a few hours earlier.

Jones is a freak athlete and great potential, I hope we get him too, but you guys have him overrated.

Firsly, let's see him run a 40yd dash in the 4.4's and bench 20 plus reps....that is a good baseline. This must be done at the combine. If he falls short of either that may be the warning sign that he is only #2 or #3 WR in the NFL because he lacks legit hands...

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Firsly, let's see him run a 40yd dash in the 4.4's and bench 20 plus reps....that is a good baseline. This must be done at the combine. If he falls short of either that may be the warning sign that he is only #2 or #3 WR in the NFL because he lacks legit hands...
    Is that your baseline for Jones specifically or for all wide receivers in general?

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

"PS -- he testified in a murder trial with a shooting of a friend he was riding in a truck with a few hours earlier."

What does that have to do with anything?

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

As many of you know I believe that the Rams will target a DL prospect with their first round pick. The reasons for this are not germane to this thread but will be posted in the future. However, having said that I am interested in evaluating Julio Jones more extensively to see what he has to offer.

Any information on web sites or links to videos of him would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

WHAT SAY YE?

I think saying he has "high character" but sits next to a guy a few hours before a gang murder isn't exactly the highest of character.

Secondly, I am only using the 20 rep bench and 4.49 speed for J. Jones because he is supposed to be physically more gifted than most. Too often Alabama fans fail to realize that there are other players in the world that are as good. Obviously, this has become a weak WR class due to many of the underclassman returning to school.

Kenny Britt ran 4.5 with 24 reps at combine when he came out early and vert jump was great. I wanna see J.Jones blow the other "tall, big" receivers out of the water come combine.

J.Jones will do great with speed and jumping but I could see him posting bad strength numbers. That could scare me some.

AGAIN Terrance Toliver and Julio Jones will put up similar numbers. If Toliver out benches Julio Jones you will see Toliver's stock become round 1 material and Julio Jones may fall some.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I think saying he has "high character" but sits next to a guy a few hours before a gang murder isn't exactly the highest of character.

Secondly, I am only using the 20 rep bench and 4.49 speed for J. Jones because he is supposed to be physically more gifted than most. Too often Alabama fans fail to realize that there are other players in the world that are as good. Obviously, this has become a weak WR class due to many of the underclassman returning to school.

Kenny Britt ran 4.5 with 24 reps at combine when he came out early and vert jump was great. I wanna see J.Jones blow the other "tall, big" receivers out of the water come combine.

J.Jones will do great with speed and jumping but I could see him posting bad strength numbers. That could scare me some.

AGAIN Terrance Toliver and Julio Jones will put up similar numbers. If Toliver out benches Julio Jones you will see Toliver's stock become round 1 material and Julio Jones may fall some.
    I am basically willing to guarantee my life that Toliver won't be drafted above Jones.

Now Baldwin is much harder to project. He is slower and longer. He almost has the TE hybrid ability for the slot. He reminds you of a cross between Malcolm Floyd and LJ Smith. He is never open in college and just out size/strenghts the DBack for the ball. My opinion is he is more like James Hardy / Limas Sweed and not worth an early pick over guys like Tolliver and Little.
    Yes I do live in the U.K, and I have all my life. I hope your not trying to imply, I dont understand the game because Im not American. I played running back for the Manchester Spartans from the age of 11 to 16.
    All my friends thought I was crazy, but I love the sport.
    Being a fan of the NFL for 28 years, it has given me some good insight into player evaluation. Its difficult getting any film on the college game. Only in the last three years, has there been any access to watching a live college game, but it isnt free and I cant afford it. If I was a rich man, then things would be different.! Hence the reason for the questions.
    AS far as I know Baldwin has run the 40 in 4.50 sec. Hardly slow for a man of his size.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -01-28-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Physicality isn't all about your bench. Physicality is using your hands beating the jam, physicality is out muscling someone for the tough catch. Julio Jones combine performance shouldn't be a determining factor to weather he is a number 1 receiver his game tape should determine that and it has. Regardless I am sure he will preform well.

Not an Alabama fan at all. The Only underclassmen who went back was Justin Blackmon all the other top flight juniors came out and they are the 4 best WRs in the draft.

What does Kenny Britt have to do with anything?

Bench Press thats what you think will hurt his stock? Come on now he has great strength on tape and even if he doesn't put up 20+ reps which is astounding for a WR thats why you have a strength and conditioning coach. He doesn't need to blow anyone away at the combine. He has to come prepared in shape catch the ball well and have a decent 40.

Terrence Toliver really? a great combine wont help him any he is nowhere near Julio Jones level just look at the stats. In 3 years Jones has more yards and receiving yardage than Toliver in 4. Toliver got all his 5 TDs in 2 games, only went over 5 catches twice, and Jones nearly doubled his receiving yards this year. Look at the game tape not the combine numbers. Terrence Toliver in round 1 come on man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast