Thread: Julius Peppers

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Julius Peppers

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- The Pro Bowl means a $1.5 million bonus for Julius Peppers, tiding him over until the next paycheck.

He says he has no idea who will be writing it.

"Anywhere is a potential landing spot," the Carolina Panthers' defensive end said following the NFC all-stars' final practice Saturday. "I'm not going to say I want to play for any team or I prefer to play anywhere because I really haven't thought about it. I haven't thought about playing for X, Y or Z."

Last year, the Panthers gave Peppers the NFL's highest single-season salary of more than $1 million per game. The contract included a $1.5 million bonus for making the Pro Bowl.

The deal came after the Panthers placed the restrictive franchise tag on Peppers, denying him his wish to leave in free agency.

Carolina could restrict Peppers' movement by placing the franchise tag on him again, but that would come with a 20 percent raise, meaning a salary of more than $20 million.

The Panthers haven't said what their plans are. Peppers, who rarely talked to reporters this season, shed little light on his status Saturday.

Is he waiting for an offer from Carolina? "I really have no idea what's going on," he said.

Would he prefer to remain with the Panthers? "I don't have a preference," he said.

How would he feel about switching to linebacker for a team that plays a 3-4 defense? "I'm just trying to get on a team right now," Peppers said. "I just want to get a contract."

Peppers, who turned 30 this month, has spent his entire eight-year NFL career with the Panthers. He had 10.5 sacks, two interceptions and five forced fumbles this season.
    What does the clan think? Do we make a move for Peppers despite his age? Or do we go for a younger guy like Ray Edwards? Regardless we need another DE next season.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Re: Julius Peppers

Jules has been one of my favorite pass rushers since he entered the league, but I just don't see us bringing him in after this past season's youth movement. Plus I think the money he'll demand would be better spent at a different position.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

He just turned 30 years old and will likely demand a large contract. Thus, I don't think he fits into what the team is looking for.

ludairv is offline Registered User

holy crap....imagine this.....Pepper Suh Carriker Long...... oh my goodness...

rob6465 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    holy crap....imagine this.....pepper suh carriker long...... Oh my goodness...

i love it !!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I would love to see Peppers wearing the horns but I think his price tag is way to high.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I would estimate the odds of peppers joining the rams as slim and none with slim having left the building. Now, if ownership changes, there is always some shot, but assuming that isnt done in the next very short period of time (ie before the free agent signings begin) there is no chance in the world that chip is going to pay top dollar for peppers at age 30 while knowing that he is about to pay huge dollars to the #1 overall pick.

Ownership issues aside, it doesnt make sense for us to pay a guy top dollar at his age.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

He wont want to come to the Rams, he is saying this because he doesnt want to say anything about returning to the Panthers

richtree is offline Registered User

He got hurt a little in pro bowl.

He states he wants to try playing OLB in 3-4 (not here).

He wants long term deal.

I wouldn't mind him, even at a high price tag if we can get him for 3 years or less.

Otherwise, lets pass....

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I am calling it now. He is going to end up with the patriots. With him now on the roster, Adalius Thomas now becomes expendable especially after his fight with Bill. Being the patriots who are always turning over their roster to save some money they cut him. He is definitely someone I would pursue. A nice aggressive PHYSICAL outside linebacker. Definably the kind of enforcer that Spags wants on this team. Would be a great veteran addition and being 33, we might be able to get him for a cheap 2-3 deal.

But that's just me dreaming and hoping.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i seriously doubt he's even interested, or that edwards will be an unrestricted free agent. we're probably going to have to draft a de this year.