BarronWade is offline Registered User

Just a few question to all you Curry fans!

I hate the idea of drafting Aaron Curry over Eugene Monroe/ Jason Smith. So i got a few questions to all you Curry fans. And dont just give a yes/no elaborate.

1) Are you comfortable with our OL right now?

LT Barron
    LG Bell (he wont get the LT job over Greco no matter what devaney says)
    C Brown
    RG Cogs
    RT Greco

2) Spags said he would like players with good character (4 pillars). Do you feel confident the Rams will take Loadholt in the 2nd?

3) Do you think Barron will tremendously improve if moved from right to left?

4) If we plan to get a big NT (Ron Brace) do we need a really good MLB?

5) Normally the MLB is the team leader on Defense and the guy who handles the Mic (not MIKE LB the communication Mic) do you feel like Curry can become a leader like that?

6) What do you think about this statement: Eugene Monroe forced Brandon Albert (starting LT 1st round draft pick) to play guard in college?

7) We are due to pay our starting backfield over 12 mili; do you want to give them the best OL possible so they can excel?

8) Would you settle for a true MLB in Antonio Appleby in the 3rd or 4th?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Just a few question to all you Curry fans!

I guess you would know more then the GM.

It's ok, but the draft is not over yet, we can add to the O line in the 2nd round.

2) Spags said he would like players with good character (4 pillars). Do you feel confident the Rams will take Loadholt in the 2nd? No I like William Beatty in the 2nd.

Do you think Barron will tremendously improve if moved from right to left? I'm don't think he has to improve tremendously, he needs to play smarter.

If we plan to get a big NT (Ron Brace) do we need a really good MLB? Yes you do, a good NT is not going to make alot of the plays, he will free up guys around him too.

Normally the MLB is the team leader on Defense and the guy who handles the Mic (not MIKE LB the communication Mic) do you feel like Curry can become a leader like that? YES

What do you think about this statement: Eugene Monroe forced Brandon Albert (starting LT 1st round draft pick) to play guard in college?

Eugene Monroe, is a great player, so is Curry.

We are due to pay our starting backfield over 12 mili; do you want to give them the best OL possible so they can excel? Well we added the best Center in FA, can't spend all the money on the O.

Would you settle for a true MLB in Antonio Appleby in the 3rd or 4th?

Why settle when we can have a force. Curry,Spoon,Tino,Draft

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    I hate the idea of drafting Aaron Curry over Eugene Monroe/ Jason Smith. So i got a few questions to all you Curry fans. And dont just give a yes/no elaborate.

LT Barron
    C Brown
    RG Cogs
    RT Greco

2) Spags said he would like players with good character (4 pillars). Do you feel confident the Rams will take Loadholt in the 2nd?

5) Normally the MLB is the team leader on Defense and the guy who handles the Mic (not MIKE LB the communication Mic) do you feel like Curry can become a leader like that?

6) What do you think about this statement: Eugene Monroe forced Brandon Albert (starting LT 1st round draft pick) to play guard in college?

7) We are due to pay our starting backfield over 12 mili; do you want to give them the best OL possible so they can excel?

If you want to Rip the Curry argument you have got to come with more heat than this

1. Why the hell not wouldn't Grecco win the LG Spot, Spags and Devney want a bigger more physical line that excells in run blocking. Grecco is a improving guard at 320, while Bell is 296. Last time i checked we don't run a zone blocking scheme so Bell is really small

2. If they interveiw Loadholt and see is solid character guy, why not. He doesn't have major character concerns in the first place. The concerns about him are minor. Besides even if we don't like his character Jamon Meredith is a beast.

3. Why not, his best play was when he was on the left side. I have said this before i would rather him ligning up opposite Dwight Freeney than Richard Seymour. He is great against speed rushers, but at times strugles with bull rusher which he face less of on the left side. He will also be more confident so I think he will cut down on the penalties.

4. Here is the answer to your question does Make Kemeotu have Jon Beason, Does Kris Jenkins have David Harris and bart Scott, Does Haloti Ngata have Rey Lewis, Does Tommy Harris have Brian Urlacher, does Shaun Rodgers have Deqwell Jackson. Off course you need a good MLB and the rams currently don't have one. Curry is a big LB at 252 pounds he doesn't need as much protection as Spoon at 230, meaning we could live with Ryan at NT and then add a bigger body later on.

5. The MLB doesn't always have the mike anyone on defense can have it. Chavous had our at one point. Curry was a great leader at Wake and could definately do it hear. He doesn't even have to have the Mic the first year because Spoon is a vet and he would most likely get it or even James Butler becuase he knows the system the best.

6. And your point is? Virginia always churns out good line man no surpise there. BTW Albert wasn't even the best tackle in the draft Long, Otah, Clady, and Baker were all better. I'm not saying Eugene Monroe is a bad player, but I would rather have Curry.

7. Finally your first valid point. Pass blocking Monroe is an upgrade on Baron, but not so much in the run game, which we will focus on. Also Loadholt will be much better than Smith and Monroe when it comes to run blocking

8. Why settle when you can have the best. 7 out of 8 the last 8 defensive rookie of the year winners have been LBs, the only one who wasn't and LB is Julius Peppers who wants to be an MLB. Mayo, Willis, Urlacher, Vilma, Merriman, and Suggs were the first LBs drafted. The first lbs drafted have an extremely high sucess rate Mayo, Willis, Vilma, Urlacher, Kendall Bell, Demeco Ryans are all MLBs. Besides Bell and Ryans the others were the first LB selected. Curry will make and Imediate impact.

jackson3909 is offline Registered User

our o-line deffenitely needs work however i belive MLB is slighty more pressing, i belive curry is worth the # 2 pick, and i have only heard positve things about his behavor. Barron is consisent and is a good blocker and under spags he will almost certitenly cut down his false starts. Curry and then a offensive tackle in round 2 is better than and OT and other position in round two. and yes we need to help protect our stars but i see the right side of our line weaker and a second round OT could help sure up the line. I belive Beatty if he is there or Loadholt can step in and play RT and eventually take over LT depending on what we do with Barron. Since the Offensive line class is deepper than LB's we should get curry then addres the Offensive line.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm thinking Andre Smith would fit the Rams better than any of the OT's out there. If the Rams are going to go more towards the run there isn't a better run blocking RT or G in this draft than Andre Smith.

bzopp Guest

Andre Smith, I'm afraid may turn out to be a bust. Did you see him running without a shirt. Wow. What a fatty. This would be a terrible waste of a #2 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    If you want to Rip the Curry argument you have got to come with more heat than this
    In this particular thread im actually not trying to rip him im just trying to find out what curry fans would like to do with our OL and if there are other solutions at MLB.

1. Why the hell not wouldn't Grecco win the LG Spot, Spags and Devney want a bigger more physical line that excells in run blocking. Grecco is a improving guard at 320, while Bell is 296. Last time i checked we don't run a zone blocking scheme so Bell is really small
    Well just a little over a year ago Grecco played RT in college. Jacob Bell wasn't that good last year because we didnt have a decent center now we got a great one. Also i belive the question was are you comfortable with our current OL not who will play RT.

2. If they interveiw Loadholt and see is solid character guy, why not. He doesn't have major character concerns in the first place. The concerns about him are minor. Besides even if we don't like his character Jamon Meredith is a beast.
    Honestly i know very little about Jamon Meredith but since your sayin he is a beast. Why is a beast. What are his strenghts? What are his weaknesses? Can he play RT and LT or just one? What is his character like. Also because Loadholt is not very intelligent i am not sure if he will impress during interviews.

3. Why not, his best play was when he was on the left side. I have said this before i would rather him ligning up opposite Dwight Freeney than Richard Seymour. He is great against speed rushers, but at times strugles with bull rusher which he face less of on the left side. He will also be more confident so I think he will cut down on the penalties.
    If i was coaching against Barron i would just put the bull rusher against Barron i mean just because he moves from right to left doesnt mean another team can scout his weaknesses and use there strenghts vs. Barron's weaknesses. He did play LT when Pace went down in 07 and he disappointed me. I thought he would play really well. He played better than the RT spot but just did average.

4. Here is the answer to your question does Make Kemeotu have Jon Beason, Does Kris Jenkins have David Harris and bart Scott, Does Haloti Ngata have Rey Lewis, Does Tommy Harris have Brian Urlacher, does Shaun Rodgers have Deqwell Jackson. Off course you need a good MLB and the rams currently don't have one. Curry is a big LB at 252 pounds he doesn't need as much protection as Spoon at 230, meaning we could live with Ryan at NT and then add a bigger body later on.
    Bart Scott didn't play with Kris Jenkins yet.

Well the point i was trying to make with this is that if we get a NT then he can plug up holes so our MLB has less responsibilities like that tulloch guy on the Titans (A. Haynsworth)

5. The MLB doesn't always have the mike anyone on defense can have it. Chavous had our at one point. Curry was a great leader at Wake and could definately do it hear. He doesn't even have to have the Mic the first year because Spoon is a vet and he would most likely get it or even James Butler becuase he knows the system the best.
    I never said the MLB always gets the mic i said normaly and i was not implying that Curry be a guy with the mic this year i said become like be mentored into becoming that guy.

6. And your point is? Virginia always churns out good line man no surpise there. BTW Albert wasn't even the best tackle in the draft Long, Otah, Clady, and Baker were all better. I'm not saying Eugene Monroe is a bad player, but I would rather have Curry.
    If Virginia always churns our good lineman why dont we take a good franchise lineman?

7. Finally your first valid point. Pass blocking Monroe is an upgrade on Baron, but not so much in the run game, which we will focus on. Also Loadholt will be much better than Smith and Monroe when it comes to run blocking
    Yea we will be focusing on the rum but Bulger will also be throwing it and i dont want him to get sacked on 3rd downs. So the type of OT we need is one that is great in the run game but also decent in the passing game.

8. Why settle when you can have the best. 7 out of 8 the last 8 defensive rookie of the year winners have been LBs, the only one who wasn't and LB is Julius Peppers who wants to be an MLB. Mayo, Willis, Urlacher, Vilma, Merriman, and Suggs were the first LBs drafted. The first lbs drafted have an extremely high sucess rate Mayo, Willis, Vilma, Urlacher, Kendall Bell, Demeco Ryans are all MLBs. Besides Bell and Ryans the others were the first LB selected. Curry will make and Imediate impact.
    Well the last 2 first OTs taken off the board became rookie Pro Bowlers.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

1. No, I don't feel terribly comfortable with our offensive line, defensive line, receivers, or linebackers.

2. I don't think one can ever feel confident that we will take any specific prospect in round two. Any player who would be good value at the 35th pick in the draft can not be counted on to be available at that point.

3. It's possible. There have been times when he has stepped up against better competition. Or it could wind up being a position of weakness for us again, but it is unlikely that we'll be able to shore up all the holes in the roster in one off-season.

4. If we want a good run defense, I'd say yes. The individual linemen can tie up blockers, but your middle linebacker is going to be the player closest to the line who has a good view of what is going on. That means he has a good chance of making an impact on every play that he's on the field.

5. Don't know him personally, but I've seen no reason to think otherwise.

6. Specious.
    Question: Who was playing right tackle when Albert was at guard in 2007?
    Answer: Will Barker, then a sophomore.

7. I want our team to lead the league in total offense, total defense, scoring offense, and scoring defense--and for us to send a record 22 starters to the Pro Bowl. Now if the question is whether I'd rather see our rushing offense improve or our rushing defense, then I'd prefer the latter.

8. I wouldn't be too optimistic that any player taken in the fourth round would be a starter anytime soon unless he was a kicker, punter, or fullback.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I'm not comfortable with it, but I'm not scared of it either.

If we did take Curry in the first round, we don't necessarily have to pick Loadholt. Fenuki Tupou, Troy Kropog, and Jamon Meredith will all be there, and they are solid tackles.

IMO, no. He may get better, but I don't think he will TREMENDOUSLY improve, and that's why we should pick a tackle in the second if we did get Curry.

Yes. Our linebacking corps will still be weak, and it's time we upgrade it. Then with the addition of a good run stuffing NT, AND the addition of a solid MLB, our run stopping will improve even more.

I feel Curry can eventually be the leader of the defense.

Albert was not a "great" tackle. He's a solid tackle. Monroe is most likely better, but I think Curry make a more immediate impact on the field. If we did grab Monroe though, I wouldn't complain, as his pass blocking is great, and his run blocking isn't too shabby.

Yes. I think the line with:

LT- Rookie
    LG- Greco
    C- Brown
    RG- Cogs/Scheuning
    RT- Bell

Will be more than good. Plus the addition of Mike Karney is a much needed benefit for Jackson.

I would settle for him, Scott Mckillop, Jaspar Brinkley, Jason Phillips, and Daniel Holtsclaw.

*NOTE: I think that Greco will man the LG spot, as his size is much superior to Bell's, and which means his size will be utilized much more efficiently inside.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

[quote=BarronWade;281836]In this particular thread im actually not trying to rip him im just trying to find out what curry fans would like to do with our OL and if there are other solutions at MLB.

Is your soloution at MLB Seriously Antonio Appleby???

Well just a little over a year ago Grecco played RT in college. Jacob Bell wasn't that good last year because we didnt have a decent center now we got a great one. Also i belive the question was are you comfortable with our current OL not who will play RT.

I believe you are the one who said Grecco definately wouldn't start over over bell. Grecco has never played with a good center either. So what is Grecco played RT a year ago, we have determined his best position is guard, as of right now according to Devaney he is our starting left guard. I am verry comfortable with the interior line, we could use another tackle and I think Barron will be fine.

Honestly i know very little about Jamon Meredith but since your sayin he is a beast. Why is a beast. What are his strenghts? What are his weaknesses? Can he play RT and LT or just one? What is his character like. Also because Loadholt is not very intelligent i am not sure if he will impress during interviews.

Meredith is versatile has played four positions on the line mostly tackle. He is verry athleti and stong. He ran the fastest 40 of any lineman and out up 30 bench reps. He excells in run and pass blocking. He could serve to add some weight. Lineman don't have to extremely inteligent they have to be able to block and Loadholt can do that

If i was coaching against Barron i would just put the bull rusher against Barron i mean just because he moves from right to left doesnt mean another team can scout his weaknesses and use there strenghts vs. Barron's weaknesses. He did play LT when Pace went down in 07 and he disappointed me. I thought he would play really well. He played better than the RT spot but just did average.

So would have a guy who is used to playing on one side line up against Barron for game, because he isn't good against Bull rushers, but still can win some matchups. Barron did not give up alot of sacks and was his least penalized season, if that little glimpse doesn't impress you compared to his body of work on the right side I don't know what will.

Bart Scott didn't play with Kris Jenkins yet.

Well the point i was trying to make with this is that if we get a NT then he can plug up holes so our MLB has less responsibilities like that tulloch guy on the Titans (A. Haynsworth)

So Bart Scott played with Haloti Ngata maybe even beter. NT's do help, but Tulloch is the exception not the rule. Albert Haynesworth is a top 5 defensive player in the league, Brace is not on his level.

I never said the MLB always gets the mic i said normaly and i was not implying that Curry be a guy with the mic this year i said become like be mentored into becoming that guy.

the defensive Mic just came into the season this year so I don't know where you are getting your info, because a ton of safties and OLBs have had the mic. How much mentoring did Demco Ryans and Patrick Willis need. Beside we already have vet leaders like Chris Draft and Spoon.

If Virginia always churns our good lineman why dont we take a good franchise lineman?
    because we would rahter add a key a piece in our quest to build a dominant defense.

Yea we will be focusing on the rum but Bulger will also be throwing it and i dont want him to get sacked on 3rd downs. So the type of OT we need is one that is great in the run game but also decent in the passing game.
    That doesn't fit Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe. If there is a weakness in both of there games it is definately the run game. Monroe doesn't have that kiler instinct and Smith has never realy been asked to Drive block before.

Well the last 2 first OTs taken off the board became rookie Pro Bowlers.
    That is true but the offensive player of the year

True, but are Smith and Monroe in there class? If Jake Long where to come out this year I would definately be sayin Aaron who? Because Long is a dominant Run blocker and a pretty good pass blocker. I really wanted him last year and I don't think the guys in this class on his level run blocking and they aren't on Joe Thomas's level pass blocking

39thebeast next time try not writing in my quote and if you do plz bold it!

Anyway antonio Appleby is my sleeper but if we do get a NT we could use Appleby as a 2 down MLB.

I never said Bell will beat out Grecco. I said Grecco will beat out Bell for the RT spot if we dont get a guy in the draft.

From what you just said about Merideth i'm wondering why he isn't the best OT in the draft he has to have more weaknesses that "cood add more wieght" Gimmie more on the guy cuz honestly if Merideth is that good without much weaknesses you might just sell me on Curry.

Well i know pass rushing is important and i see my speedy pass rusher getting dominated by Barron yea i would move my bull ruser to Barron's side Cuz i want my linemen to get to the QB no matter what. So i would coach the best to win. Also before you try to put words in my mouth (again) i never said my starting LE. Also you said he didnt allow many sacks and it was his least pentalized year. Wasn't last his least pentalized year and that year he allowed more than 7 sacks.

Iight you got me there about the NT and MLB thing but i still think we can go for a smaller MLB if we get a big NT. Kinda like Jon Beason (140 lbs)and that guy with the long name.

Another time your trying to words in my mouth i never said we need to go get a Veteran MLB just to take the mic. Butler can take the Mic this year but in years i would like the MLB to take it because he is the QB of the defense and he is the guy in the middle of everything.

Listen Spags and Fajole are defensive geniouses and we have a guy in Pat Shurmur who is going to start calling plays this year so we need to sure up that side of the field by building a dominent OL. And we are one key starter and 2 key depth roles away from that.

Well unlike Loadholt Smith can get to the 2nd level and pull. So I would feel better with Jason Smith during slide protections to the right because he can get down and take on the SLB while our RG takes out he LE. And Monroe is a good run blocker and a great Pass protector. Monroe has a nice push in the run games.

I think Monroe is somwhat at Joe Thomas's level. Smith it will take some time.

Next time quote corectly because you started puting your words in my quote thing.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Let me preface by saying that I'm entirely undecided as to who I want. I'm leaning toward Eugene Monroe at the moment, so these answers are entirely impartial.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post

LT Barron
    C Brown
    RG Cogs
    RT Greco
    No, I'm not. But that's not to say that I wouldn't be with a player like Beatty playing Right Tackle, if he were to fall. I don't think you've listed the depth chart correctly, but that's an entirely different story.

Are you comfortable with our front seven?

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade
    No, I hope they don't. There are much better players than Loadholt. IMO, he'll be taken anywhere between the very late second and mid-third.

No, not tremendously. I think his play will substantiate, certainly, for the season, as money beckons, but it's not something we'd want to bank our future on. Can we get by with an improved Barron at left tackle for this season? I believe so.
    Absolutely. We want good players wherever they're available. We can find one at number two overall, or we can take a significantly larger gamble in the second or third round.
    Most certainly. He'll be a team leader and defensive captain for the next ten years wherever he goes.
    That's contentious, as described above.

It's also worth noting that a lot of Albert's value arose from his versatility, in that teams could kick him inside to guard or start him at tackle. It's not as much of a testament to Monroe's worth (which is great) as it is to Albert's.
    Yes, but you can apply the same logic to the DL in regard to the LB's as their successes are interlinked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barronwade
    I'd readily select Scott McKillop in round three if we go in other directions in the first and second.

IzzyHigh1212 Guest

Greco can't play tackle at the NFL level...they tried that, and didn't like the outcome. He's a guard.