Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: "Just the First Day"? This not a Uusual first day

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

"Just the First Day"? This not a Uusual first day

The Rams apparently did not get the memo about the big cap increases coming and the big one this year.

Fans aresaying "Smart to st ay quiet day one"

But THIS year, it's nonsense. SEVEN top FA safeties were signed, and 5 or 6 of the top CB either re-signed or were signed as FA

Plus all the decent pass rushers, about 6 or 7 ar gone off the market, and every starting OT.

FIFTY ONE players have re-signed or signed as FA the last week, MOST yesterday.

Last year, about 12 players signed on 3/12, the first day of FA
    Maybe a dozen more signed day two.

The Rams were like some polite old lady shopping early on Black Friday. They got shoved out of the way, stomped, and ended up buying an ugly dress two sizes too small, just to get SOMETHING.

This was NOT a year to "play it cool" and browse for t he best deal. Teams targeted who they wanted, and got it done, no free agent vists to numrous teams.

Rams fans are now like kids who got crappy toys for Xmas this year cause Dad was drunk and didn't shop till all was gome.

Those other teams paid big money, which t hey HAD, just as the Rams do, because they wanted to get better, and some did, big time.

The Rams got way worse, by losing all their O-linemen that could go.

You have NON chance to win without a top OL, NONE.

You have NO chance to win without top DBS, INCLUDING SAFETIES.

The Rams have Trumaine Hohnson and Rodney McLeod STARTING, with lousy backups.

You can't sugar coat it with something called "hope every draft pick is a star" mentality.

At most you get three early starters out of a draft, and that's if you have no misses.

The Rams have to fill holes at starting G(2), RT, OLB, FS, CB, maybe WR, and key backup holes at C, G, DT, S, QB, and CB.

You tell ME how they fill those holes with winning players in one draft.

Barry Waller

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: "Just the First Day"? This not a Uusual first day

It's true, we do have a lot of holes to fill which most likely won't be filled by all draft picks. But at the end of the day no-one truly knows how much the cap will fluctuate next year and beyond. Yes, we believe it will rise, but what if it doesn't? What if the Rams went out this year and spent 60 million on Jairus Byrd and next year the cap stayed the same, or it didn't increase to 160 in 2016 like some say it will?

Please elaborate how the Rams would sign:

Sam Bradford
    Kendall Langford
    William Hayes
    Robert Quinn (Who will likely get the biggest contract for a DE ever)
    Michael Brockers
    Brian Quick
    Janoris Jenkins
    Lance Kendricks
    Joe Barksdale
    Johnny Hekker
    Chris Givens
    Trumaine Johnson

..Now I know not all of these players are going to be back or be expensive, but you have to realize the Rams are not built like most teams in the league. We were blessed with the RG3 trade. When we decided to trade back every year and collect more picks the past 2 years we drafted more players. Now were a team absolutely loaded with young guys who are all bound to become free agents at the same time that we'll need to pay. It's a good problem to have, but a problem at last.

The Rams will lose close to 45 million in cap just between Quinn, Bradford, and Brockers. Add that to Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, Jared Cook, and Jake Long's contracts, and you have probably close to 90 million tied up. The Rams made 3 huge splashes in 2 years, it's gotta slow down eventually, it's a shame you can't see that. The Rams can't come out every year and spend 50 million on a player.
    HUbison, DE_Ramfan, Mikey and 1 others like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is online now Registered User

Barry you sound like a 15 year old, really dude relax. Would think a guy with your experience could see the forest through the trees.
    sosa39rams and Mikey like this.

teams KNOW the cap the next three will be at least $160 million by 2016, maybe higher, from the new TV deal. It's $145 or $146 in 2015, this they KNOW.

The Rams don't have ANYONE up fro FA till 2016. The guys under contract have some deals that go way DOWN in 2015, like Laurinaitis. Over the Cap- St. Louis Rams 2014 Salary Cap and Contracts

How does Denver, with a QB making huge bucks, add Talib, Ward AND Ware, when the Rams add no one ?

Denver had pretty much the same cap room as the Rams this year.

The fans are being lied to, they are being fooled into thinking rookies at OT, FS, CB, OLB, G, can take the team to the playoffs.

This is what bad teams do to keep the fans buying tickets for .sub .500 teams.

The Rams are now the Houston Astros of the NFL
    Barry Waller

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    teams KNOW the cap the next three will be at least $160 million by 2016, maybe higher, from the new TV deal. It's $145 or $146 in 2015, this they KNOW.

The Rams don't have ANYONE up fro FA till 2016. The guys under contract have some deals that go way DOWN in 2015, like Laurinaitis. Over the Cap- St. Louis Rams 2014 Salary Cap and Contracts

How does Denver, with a QB making huge bucks, add Talib, Ward AND Ware, when the Rams add no one ?

Denver had pretty much the same cap room as the Rams this year.

The fans are being lied to, they are being fooled into thinking rookies at OT, FS, CB, OLB, G, can take the team to the playoffs.

This is what bad teams do to keep the fans buying tickets for .sub .500 teams.

The Rams are now the Houston Astros of the NFL
    Denver... Yes, Denver, the team who has a 37 year old QB. What are you think they are doing? They are going ALL IN to try and win a ring, because they are in a position to do so. They know their time is coming to an end and their window is closing. They have 1 maybe 2 more chances at a ring and then guess what? They'll be rebuilding and in salary cap hell.

Where are the teams that are in a similar position in the Rams and dropping that kind of money? Show me one.

THE DREAM TEAM

Yea, been watching this team for 18 years, and covered them for most.
    They didn't just not get better, they got way worse, in areas where no real help is available after round two as far as starting caliber players right aay.

They are tanking 2014, and i have no real idea why.

THIS WAS NOT AN ORDINARY DAY ONE FIFTY ONE players signed, compared to 24 the first TWO days last year.

All the top safeties are gone
    Almost all the top CB are gone
    All the top DE are gone
    All the top O-linemen ar e GONE

The Rams looked at this like some ordinary year, when wait and see was an option.

It wasn't, and they couldn't even keep their own crappy O-linemen.

You cannot throw a line together every year and think the offense will be OK.

You cannot play undrafted FA as starting safties either,or mid runders at CB right away.

I am NOT ione who "goes nuts" but this year was different, due to the unprecedented cap increases.

The Rams have tond of room now, in 2015 and 2016, and they have no one to re-sign till 2016.

So why have all that EXTRA cap room and do nothing at all?

DO they forget that teams like Denver ALSO have draft picks to add even MORE good players?

You do NOT gain ground by a draft alone. If you have to go need every round early, you are far more prone to missing a gr eat player for an average one, even a bust, because you REACHED.

They couldn't afford Chris Williams? At $2.5 million?

Sorry, but I cannot give this organization a pass for blowing this off-season because they have a nice first round draft expectation.

They don't seem to care about selling tickets at all, and isn't THAT what it's about.

OK, I am nuts and a few more 7-9 seasons is just fine.

But when this plan means Bradford getting killed, and the DBs getting torched, and loses piling up in 2014, I don't want to hear any of you optimists crying. You are OK wit h this plan, then you are OK not making the playoffs, and not seeing .500 AGAIN, for more years.

What suddenly changed that the Rams just let everyone go and sign no one? ONE extra #1 pick?

Denver is so loaded, they can take Peyton Mannings successor in round one if they choose.

The Rams, MUST now take OT, DB, DB, G with the first four picks, or they are left with another Rodney McLeod, Darian Stewart situation, That means no help at WR, no backup QB, no RB, no DT, probably no decent "will linebacker" (Another Witherspoon type, or Dunbar)

Yea, right.

With Pead and Quick, they have shown that even early picks should NOT be counted on to fill holes in the starting lineup. Remember when they had to take TE, and t hey took Klopfenstein and Byrd?

THAT'S what need does for you on draft day.

It is a negative influence on success.

You tell ME the names starting at RT, both G, OLB, FS, and CB in 2014.

They will all be rookies, so give me reasonably available guys, and i will show you All Pros they passed on to reach for that guy to fill need.

Barry Waller

Wanna know what's funny? You'd be that same guy that would be saying "Jeff and Les are geniouses! The Rams are superbowl bound!!!" If they had signed Jairus Byrd to that 5 year 60 million dollar contract...

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is online now Registered User

Barry this is so unlike you really, I'm shocked more by these rants then the lack of activity. How about the so called dream team a few years back, recall the Eagles loading up? How did that work out? How about all those SB the redskins have won by over paying in FA?

The Rams have the second and the thirteenth pick in the draft, if other teams had those picks maybe they would not have to spend like fools. There is a really good chance the Rams FO already knows the value of the second pick and have some soft deals with extra picks in mind and feel they can load up in the draft this year. We just don't know, because we are on the outside looking in!

Rawr is offline Registered User

With the #2 and #13 picks, I'd be willing to bet a considerable amount of money that we end up having one of the best offseasons in the league.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

They are tanking 2014, and i have no real idea why.
    We're in the second day of free agency, still have the draft, and have yet to play game one of 2014, and the Rams are tanking the entire season? You're entitled to your opinion, but you have no idea what the plan is, or how it will pan out. Snead made it clear early, that the Rams were not going to make a big splash in free agency, which points to a different strategy. Are you suggesting the guys that engineered the RGlll trade don't know what they're doing?
    mde8352gorams and sosa39rams like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I don't see teams like the Packers or the Patriots who are perennially successful and playoff participants out spending like crazy to fill their needs, and they certainly have needs. I like the approach being taken by the Rams to spend when the price is right. We were not playoff participants with Rodger Saffold or Chris Williams on the roster and Sam Bradford still got hurt.

We'll get there. Go Rams!
    Mikey likes this.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

You tell ME the names starting at RT, both G, OLB, FS, and CB in 2014.
    Look I get that you're upset with the FO and a big part of me agrees with a lot you have said, but why do you keep making reference that we have nobody at RT?

I get most of what you're saying but from what I have been able to gather Joe Barksdale did a decent job last year and the Rams are counting on him to hold down the starting RT job this year also.

I guess I should ask if you think we can win with Joe Barksdale at Right Tackle?

Well, do you?

WHAT SAY YE?

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

The Rams apparently did not get the memo about the big cap increases coming and the big one this year.

Demoff should be fired immediately.

Fans aresaying "Smart to st ay quiet day one"

The intelligent ones are.

But THIS year, it's nonsense. SEVEN top FA safeties were signed, and 5 or 6 of the top CB either re-signed or were signed as FA

Do me a favor and name the seven safeties, and probably not much the Rams could do about a team resigning their own guy(s).

Plus all the decent pass rushers, about 6 or 7 ar gone off the market, and every starting OT.

We really are hurting on the D Line. Good point.

FIFTY ONE players have re-signed or signed as FA the last week, MOST yesterday.

This just in...

Last year, about 12 players signed on 3/12, the first day of FA
    Maybe a dozen more signed day two.

Sorry, but so what?

The Rams were like some polite old lady shopping early on Black Friday. They got shoved out of the way, stomped, and ended up buying an ugly dress two sizes too small, just to get SOMETHING.

Who'd they get?

This was NOT a year to "play it cool" and browse for t he best deal. Teams targeted who they wanted, and got it done, no free agent vists to numrous teams.

Good for them.

Rams fans are now like kids who got crappy toys for Xmas this year cause Dad was drunk and didn't shop till all was gome.

Those other teams paid big money, which t hey HAD, just as the Rams do, because they wanted to get better, and some did, big time.

The Rams got way worse, by losing all their O-linemen that could go.

You would have paid RS 42M? Really? Dahl isn't gone for sure, and who cares about Williams.

You have NON chance to win without a top OL, NONE.

You mean like the Cardinals last year?

You have NO chance to win without top DBS, INCLUDING SAFETIES.

I've been screaming for Safeties for years - agree - but our corners are OK.

The Rams have Trumaine Hohnson and Rodney McLeod STARTING, with lousy backups.

Johnson's a corner.

You can't sugar coat it with something called "hope every draft pick is a star" mentality.

Don't then.

At most you get three early starters out of a draft, and that's if you have no misses.

The Rams have to fill holes at starting G(2), RT, OLB, FS, CB, maybe WR, and key backup holes at C, G, DT, S, QB, and CB.

No "holes" at RT, OLB, CB. As to your backup references, I agree, but I also think that's what the Rams are doing - building depth, which you call "tanking".

You tell ME how they fill those holes with winning players in one draft.

Can't be done - what's your point.
    Seriously, you have to give management a chance, given the absolute dumpster fire they inherited.
    Last edited by VegasRam; -03-12-2014 at 06:36 PM.
    MauiRam likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Sauceman is offline Registered User

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/H1uafjp.gif

I really used to like your posts. I truly did. It just seems like every new post is a 40 paragraph rant, where each paragraph is a sentence long.

I understand you have YOUR opinions. We all do. You should start sending your resume out to NFL teams, because apparently you know more than the people paid to do this. Your talents are being wasted on a soapbox on an internet message board.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post

Can't be done - what's your point.

Seriously, you have to give management a chance, given the absolute dumpster fire they inherited.
    i also am am willing to see how the rest unfolds. We have a management team that has 14 wins in two years after inheriting a team so bad they won 15 in 5 years. Some people saw that impressive turn around and think it's all or nothing do it now. We can't look at our young players and enjoy the future they provide us by going out and spending money it will take to resign them by over paying older free agents. If Snead did that we'd be in verity bad shape and fans would have more of a reason to be angry than they do after the quiet start to free agency 2014.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast