Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just Thinking

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Just Thinking

Just say no to a RB in round 2 for the second year in a row

RANDYRAM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81 View Post
    I'll show you a vid of the worst player in college football and they can throw some of his best plays together and make him look like an all-star.

You know those guys that bend over right before the play starts yeah we um have to have those guys there or it doesn't matter if a guy can run a 4 flat 40.

So before you start drafting our 4th wide receiver and 5Th running back (since Johnson plays em both) we should probably get some of those big guys.
    Hey we just signed Bell and a bunch wide body's! This is the deepest OT class in years!!
    I picked Heath Benedict 6'5" 326lbs at 3!! How many ROTs do we need!

Maybe we should draft all 350lbs lineman and see how that works!!LMAO!!!

besides I'm just having fun with different boards right now.I like to make a
    list each year of players 4 in each round. Based on need and each players
    projected round and see how good each player dose throughout the year! Just to
    see how close I come! Because you and I know when draft day comes OUR THOUGHTS DON'T COUNT 1 BIT!!
    GO RAMS

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Actually, if we drafted all linemen, a number of them wouldn't make the team, however, those that did should be pretty darn good depth. We could also always load up on them and then run a goal line formation as our base package. Try stopping Jackson behind a 9 man offensive line!

I understand you're having fun, but speed isn't everything, one signing for the offensive line isn't quite enough, and I agree that we should go after a playmaker at the top of the second. However, we need a receiver, not a RB/WR tweener, even if he is the fastest player in the draft. His hands are small(bad for catching) and he's not established as a pass catcher, which is what we need. We need good hands, not just a quick body.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Randy, are you really 47?

Why would we draft Dennis Dixon? The guy was a system quarterback. He's not Mike Vick, he's not Vince Young...The guy will be out of the league in a few years.

How many tackles do we need? As many as it takes until we get it right.

I think the Chris Johnson part has already been covered, what the heck man?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Oh...he wants Johnson as a RB....then I don't like it. I was for a receiver, but knew next to nothing on Johnson.

However, like mentioned before, I believe that we could have a good WR land in our hands in the second round.

RANDYRAM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Actually, if we drafted all linemen, a number of them wouldn't make the team, however, those that did should be pretty darn good depth. We could also always load up on them and then run a goal line formation as our base package. Try stopping Jackson behind a 9 man offensive line!

I understand you're having fun, but speed isn't everything, one signing for the offensive line isn't quite enough, and I agree that we should go after a playmaker at the top of the second. However, we need a receiver, not a RB/WR tweener, even if he is the fastest player in the draft. His hands are small(bad for catching) and he's not established as a pass catcher, which is what we need. We need good hands, not just a quick body.
    You know I under stand we need a wr! (one that sterches the field)
    Tec and I like the
    way you think!
    BUT??I would like anyone to show me a (WR IN THE DRAFT!!)
    THAT STERCHES THE FIELD FASTER than Chris Johnson!
    and I would love to find out all I could and hope the Rams did too!!!
    BTW did you know Tory Holt and Chris Johnson are almost the same size!
    or D.Hall, Steve Smith,Kevin Curtis,all smaller DO I NEED TO GO ON!!
    ( I don't think your hands theory really applies hear) OR (your tweener
    theory) SJ, D.HALL,LL, are all pro bowl tweeners !!!!!NEED I GO ON???
    SJ led all receivers 2 yrs back! 1/2 our Oline are tweeners!
    I think Jim Haslett said I can't teach speed!!
    But I can teach them to tackle!!

RANDYRAM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    Randy, are you really 47?

Why would we draft Dennis Dixon? The guy was a system quarterback. He's not Mike Vick, he's not Vince Young...The guy will be out of the league in a few years.

How many tackles do we need? As many as it takes until we get it right.

I think the Chris Johnson part has already been covered, what the heck man?
    NO I AM NOT 47 Red??48
    Mike Vick and Vince Young were both #1 picks!! I had Dennis Dixon at 5 rd
    What the heck man?? DON'T TAZE ME BRO!! LOL It doesn't have to be Dixon
    any QB who would you pic @5 ????

RANDYRAM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Oh...he wants Johnson as a RB....then I don't like it. I was for a receiver, but knew next to nothing on Johnson.

However, like mentioned before, I believe that we could have a good WR land in our hands in the second round.
    I would like Johnson yes!
    I don't care ware SL plays him use like NEW ORLEANS PLAYS REGGIE BUSH!!
    JUST GET HIM THE BALL!! One missed tackle he's goon!!
    There seems to be alot of people who know very little about Chris Johnson??
    Last edited by RANDYRAM; -03-17-2008 at 03:36 AM.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RANDYRAM View Post
    I would like Johnson yes!
    I don't care ware SL plays him use like NEW ORLEANS PLAYS REGGIE BUSH!!
    JUST GET HIM THE BALL!! One missed tackle he's goon!!
    There seems to be alot of people who know very little about Chris Johnson??
    use him like NO uses reggie bush? you mean as an overrated RB that cant do anything most of the time? and what if the defense doesnt miss a tackle? we dont want to be racking up loss yardage on screens etc waiting for him to break one long.

i know enough about Chris Johnson to say no to drafting him. First of all, he is an RB. We have enough RBs on the roster, and we picked one with the second round pick last year. We simply have too much money locked up in the position already to be picking one in the second round.

Second, we need help at WR. Just because the guy is fast doesnt mean a thing if he hasnt played WR before. I would much rather grab a WR who actually has experience in the position than grab Johnson because he is slightly faster

monel is offline Registered User

I would rather have this draft:

1. C. Long, DE
    2. A. Collins, OT
    3. D. Avery, WR
    4. R. Felton, OG
    5. J. Goff, LB
    6. J. Felton, FB
    7. B. Johnston, DE
    FA: B. Mitchell, QB

How about this draft?

RANDYRAM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    use him like NO uses reggie bush? you mean as an overrated RB that cant do anything most of the time? and what if the defense doesn't miss a tackle? we dont want to be racking up loss yardage on screens etc waiting for him to break one long.

i know enough about Chris Johnson to say no to drafting him. First of all, he is an RB. We have enough RBs on the roster, and we picked one with the second round pick last year. We simply have too much money locked up in the position already to be picking one in the second round.

Second, we need help at WR. Just because the guy is fast doesnt mean a thing if he hasnt played WR before. I would much rather grab a WR who actually has experience in the position than grab Johnson because he is slightly faster
    (First) off when Reggie Bush steps on the Field every person on the defense knows where he is!!
    Because he is a threat TO GO ALL THE WAY!

(Second) Brian Lenard had both shoulders worked on and has NEVER been a
    threat TO GO ALL THE WAY!

(Third) your WONG ABOUT HAVING MOORE $$$ tide up in the position
    putting it simply!
    WHY is eveybody so egar to get a big SLOW receiver when we just
    SPENT 30mill on
    one last year!!

(Forth) NO ONE has answered my ??? WHO will stretch Field faster than
    CHRIS JOHNSON?????ALL I HEAR is he has to small of hands or he hasn't
    played receiver when in fact he has ALL LAME EXCUSES!

(Fifth) the idea of Steven Jackson & Chris GO'S ALL THE WAY Johnson sounds allot better
    BSL (BROKEN SHOULDER LENARD)&SJ
    Last edited by RANDYRAM; -03-17-2008 at 12:59 PM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

You know I under stand we need a wr! (one that sterches the field)
    Tec and I like the
    way you think!
    BUT??I would like anyone to show me a (WR IN THE DRAFT!!)
    THAT STERCHES THE FIELD FASTER than Chris Johnson!
    and I would love to find out all I could and hope the Rams did too!!!
    BTW did you know Tory Holt and Chris Johnson are almost the same size!
    or D.Hall, Steve Smith,Kevin Curtis,all smaller DO I NEED TO GO ON!!
    ( I don't think your hands theory really applies hear) OR (your tweener
    theory) SJ, D.HALL,LL, are all pro bowl tweeners !!!!!NEED I GO ON???
    SJ led all receivers 2 yrs back! 1/2 our Oline are tweeners!
    I think Jim Haslett said I can't teach speed!!
    But I can teach them to tackle!!
    Ok, where to start with this... Well, yes, we do need a receiver that can stretch the field. Very much so. However there is a difference in being able to get down field and stretching it. To stretch the field means that you're causing the defense to physically stretch it's defense, thereby making it more open and weaker. To do that you need to be respected as a threat downfield, which as a receiver, Chris Johnson isn't, or else he would have been a receiver full time in college. You want to know a player who can stretch the field faster than Johnson? I would go with DeSean Jackson, James Hardy, or even slightly slower guys such as Limas Sweed or James Hardy, who while they will be down field a a few tenths(tenths!) of a second slower, they are threats to consistently bring in the ball and be able to do something with it. This is also a good time to point out that one run of the forty is not a consistent time, and it all changes when you put on the pads. Slower guys without pads could gain some time on him because they're comparatively stronger in acceleration than Johnson is with the added weight. They draw double teams either because of their speed or height and all of them because of their reliable, larger hands which make it much easier to catch the ball and fight off the defenders. I wouldn't give that kind of respect to Johnson, and let a safety, who is a few inches taller and has a 15 yard head start cover him deep alone. While Johnson has good hands, he's also frail and not physical in the least, and I'm not sure if he would be able to handle the hit from a safety trying to deny him the catch.

As for his size, yes, he's one inch shorter than Torry(two 'r's in Torry) Holt, and thusly a couple inches taller than Steve Smith(5'9") and Dante Hall(5'8") but actually, he's shorter than Kevin Curtis, who is also 6'0", like Holt. Maybe you should research guys before you just pull out names.

As for your idea that my tweener theory doesn't apply, let's look, ok? SJ, I assume you mean Steven Jackson played running back all through college and has continued on in the pros. He's a very balanced back, proving both the power to run inside(unlike Johnson) as well as the flash of quickness to bounce outside. Dante Hall(again, an assumption) has always played receiver and returned kicks, there's not much to say about that. He's too small to play anything but receiver. LL, I'm yet again, assuming is Leonard Little, who at 263 could be a little light for a defensive end, however, when we consider that Michael Strahan, a bull rushing defensive end played last year at 255, he doesn't seem so undersized anymore. None of these "examples" are tweeners. Please feel free to offer more up, but please try to use their full names so I don't have to assume.

Offensive line players are all just about the same specifications, though you need a bit of quickness to play tackle. To have tweeners there means you have a good depth based offensive line than can shift to play new positions if players get hurt.

As for your speed quote, yes, in fact Basketball has another, "you can't coach height." However, what you gain in speed, you lose in other areas, such as skill. In basketball, I played against a the tallest guy in my class at center. He had a good 7 inches on me, but he couldn't always out rebound me because I knew how to block out and get position, while he relied upon his height. We need a proven player who can stretch the field at receiver, not some running back/ wide receiver tweener that needs immense effort to become a true receiver. We need a guy who has developed the skills needed, not someone who has better athletic gifts but is raw. That's why Chris Long is a better candidate than Gholston. Oh, and lastly, Jackson led in receptions on a bunch of screen and dump routes, not downfield passes. There's a major difference between those.
    Last edited by TekeRam; -03-17-2008 at 02:16 PM.

RANDYRAM Guest

TEKE your probably right!! Chris GO ALL THE WAY Johnson will be just like
    Devin PRO BOWL Hester or Reggie PRO BOWL Bush in the 2nd round ???
    I should just stop wasting my time looking at this guy. ARE YOU KIDDING!!
    SOME PEOPLE NEED TO OPEN THERE EYES and look who YOU are comparing
    him too!
    there's only 1 teem poorer than the RAMS last year!
    A poor mans Reggie Bush or Devin Hester Ill take that any day !!!
    He didn't go to USC!!! He went ECU I've never even herd of ECU!!!
    This term (tweener)THAT YOU USED! Isn't that just a perception of a said person or
    persons or in other words just and opinion! In witch mine differs from yours!
    TEKE your right I didn't do all my home work on some of the other players.
    I WILL TRY TO DO BETTER ! So nobody will have to assume!
    AND (LOL)I am not his agent!!
    Last edited by RANDYRAM; -03-17-2008 at 02:36 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

(1)V.Golston DE/OLB (PLAYMAKER)
    Looks good so far.

(2)Chris Johnson RB/WR/KR (PLAYMAKER) 4.24 tide fastest time ever at combine!
    Not sure I understand this one. The Rams need to add a guy who could potentially start for them at WR down the road. You have us picking an all-purpose running back who can work at a number of positions, but can he ever grow into an upper echelon receiver at the next level? Can't say I'm convinced.

I wasn't a fan of using a second rounder on Devin Hester because, while he'd be a big special teams improvement, what's the true offensive/defensive position he's going to excel at? Thus far he hasn't found one. I also wasn't a big fan of using a second round pick on a back-up tailback in Brian Leonard because I thought you could find capable back-ups in the later rounds. Basically you've combined two situations I wasn't a fan of, so while Johnson is a very explosive and dangerous player, I can't say I'm thrilled about the idea of the Rams taking him.

(3)Heath Benedict ROT/G
    Should be there in the third, and could play at either guard or right tackle as you said. Nice pick.

(4)Frank Okam DT/NDT (HUGE 6'5" 345Lbs)
    I'm not a huge fan of Okam, but getting him in the fourth round is probably solid value. Just a very inconsistent player.

(5)Denis Dixon QB/PLAYMAKER
    I'm not a fan because I question how well he would translate to a pro style offense at the next level. Dixon didn't emerge at Oregon until he was under a specific offensive coordinator who built the offense around him and his abilities. That won't happen in the pros, so I'm not optimistic about his chances for success.

(6)Travis Scott DE/OLB 6'5" 252lBS 4.62 (PLAYMAKER)
    I think you mean Trevor Scott. Could be a decent situational pass rusher, which we'll need more of even after taking Gholston.

(7)C.Campboll SS 6'2" 229 4.57 good tackler
    May or may not be available here, though I think injury concerns and on the field limitations bode well for his availability. Could be a good special teams player and in-the-box situational safety. Solid pick.

RANDYRAM Guest

Thanks NICK for reviewing my moc!
    I really wanted to give people something to ponder and not be like
    all the other mocks! and I stirred up allot of people with this 2nd pic!
    As for Dixon a poor man M.Vic or V.Young he could put allot pressure
    on a defense! a good value at RD 5 I just remember Young & Montana
    rolling out and killing our defense! So I have two guys on my moc
    that people are comparing to PRO BOWL players and nobody likes them!
    Like I said thanks for your opinion

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast