Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just Thinking

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Re: Just Thinking

NO I AM NOT 47 Red??48
    Mike Vick and Vince Young were both #1 picks!! I had Dennis Dixon at 5 rd
    What the heck man?? DON'T TAZE ME BRO!! LOL It doesn't have to be Dixon
    any QB who would you pic @5 ????
    So, why do you wanna draft Dixon? If he won't be a good scrambler...he's not that good of a passer...What the heck? Vince Young was a number 3 pick. Drafting a QB is a wasted pick. Why all of a sudden do we need an understudy for Marc Bulger? We got his backup in Green and we'll probably sign Dave Ragone again. Bulger isn't old, and it's not time to draft a replacement. Don't bring that taze crap around me.

RANDYRAM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    So, why do you wanna draft Dixon? If he won't be a good scrambler...he's not that good of a passer...What the heck? Vince Young was a number 3 pick. Drafting a QB is a wasted pick. Why all of a sudden do we need an understudy for Marc Bulger? We got his backup in Green and we'll probably sign Dave Ragone again. Bulger isn't old, and it's not time to draft a replacement. Don't bring that taze crap around me.
    Red, to tell you the truth, at first I really liked Colt Brennan!
    Then I looked at their 40 times and they were both system QBs!
    I looked at a bunch of video and they were both the team leaders. Oregon
    was #2 in the nation and when Dixon went down the ducks were done.
    Brennan didn't play as tough of competition as Dixon and his play making
    ability out of the pocket was very good!

I can't tell you a RAMS QB other than Fitzgerald that has play making ability out of the pocket ever!
    I got to tell you Steve Young, Joe Montana, Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkington, Tony Romo,
    Randel Cunningham, have all had success getting out and putting pressure on defenses for years!
    I thought it would be great if the rams had one too!

I like Brennan, Dixon, and O'connell, in rd 5 for good value, any one of them would a good pic in my eyes.
    I get tired of seeing Bulger standing there for ever and takeing a sack??? why???
    I think Green is there to get 3mill then bump his head and say
    THANK YOU !! LATER DUDES!!
    THEN WHAT??
    Last edited by RANDYRAM; -03-17-2008 at 09:16 PM.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Randy tell me who the two best QBs in the league are right now?

I'm assuming you would say Peyton Manning and Tom Brady if you had any sense which I'm seriously starting to doubt. But clearly these guys aren't the most mobile QBs by any stretch. They don't do it alone though they both have spectacular offensive lines(the Pats had 3 of the 5 go to the pro-bowl).

RANDYRAM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81 View Post
    Randy tell me who the two best QBs in the league are right now?

I'm assuming you would say Peyton Manning and Tom Brady if you had any sense which I'm seriously starting to doubt. But clearly these guys aren't the most mobile QBs by any stretch. They don't do it alone though they both have spectacular offensive lines(the Pats had 3 of the 5 go to the pro-bowl).
    rams_fan81
    I will agree to that!
    If you could tell me who would be a better QB behind the RAMS O,LINE
    last year! ,Tony Romo,Jeff Garcia ,Trent Green,Mark bulger,:\

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Randy, we'll never know who the better qb behind the Rams OLINE would be. We never will, that was last season man.

It's time to rebuild our weakness. That way we can make Bulger get on the top QB chart next year. Maybe not top 5, but definately not the worst.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Ok, thankfully we've all forgotten about the RB pick, and we've move don to the QB pick. Randy, you want to replace our pocket QB with a reputation for being injured with a scrambling QB with a reputation for getting hurt. One is an established NFL starter and Pro Bowler, one did well for one year until he got hurt. One is a very accurate, NFL quarterback, the other has never played in an NFL style offense, has questions about his love for football, has questionable accuracy and horrible footwork, is prone to give up on plays and just try to run, and, well, he's the exact opposite of the traditional, reliable, successful NFL quarterback. I would give him more of a chance chance of going onto baseball or moving to WR before being a successful QB. I'm thinking a much lesser Randle El.

RANDYRAM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Ok, thankfully we've all forgotten about the RB pick, and we've move don to the QB pick. Randy, you want to replace our pocket QB with a reputation for being injured with a scrambling QB with a reputation for getting hurt. One is an established NFL starter and Pro Bowler, one did well for one year until he got hurt. One is a very accurate, NFL quarterback, the other has never played in an NFL style offense, has questions about his love for football, has questionable accuracy and horrible footwork, is prone to give up on plays and just try to run, and, well, he's the exact opposite of the traditional, reliable, successful NFL quarterback. I would give him more of a chance chance of going onto baseball or moving to WR before being a successful QB. I'm thinking a much lesser Randle El.
    TEKE
    You maybe right? We will probley never know for sure!
    There have been quite a few reliable scrambling QBs that have won super bowls and taken there teams to the playoffs!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RANDYRAM View Post
    So I have two guys on my moc that people are comparing to PRO BOWL players and nobody likes them!
    What does a player's comparison have to do with anything, though? "People" could probably find a way to compare anyone to a high level player, but that doesn't have any bearing on what they can or can't do on the field. Comparing Dixon to Michael Vick doesn't alleviate any questions I have about his being able to perform in a pro style offense. You can't just argue for a guy based on his comparison.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RANDYRAM View Post
    TEKE
    You maybe right? We will probley never know for sure!
    There have been quite a few reliable scrambling QBs that have won super bowls and taken there teams to the playoffs!
    I don't know about the super bowls part?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81 View Post
    I don't know about the super bowls part?
    I, too, would like to learn what scrambling QB's have won a super bowl. The key word that you used was scrambling QB, which is also the correct one in my opinion. There is a strong difference in mobile quarterbacks, whom I would categorize as Tony Romo and Donovan McNabb(after his second year) types; those who can escape the rush and make something happen when the play breaks down. A scrambling QB is one who has draw and direct run plays designed for them. One who will automatically take the run as opposed to continue to look for a pass when the play breaks down.

John Elway, whom you may think was a scrambling QB was a mobile one, not a scrambler. He worked from the pocket but could make something happen when he needed to. He was NOT a scrambler.

Certainly, Vince Young and Michael Vick are scramblers whom have gone to the playoffs, and Vick even got to the conference championship, however, I could not name a single scrambling QB who has ever even made a Super Bowl. Scrambling quarterbacks have been a collegiate phenomenon that has not really progressed to the NFL until recently. There have not been quarterbacks that have been able to be accurate enough to continually succeed(still true) in this league. They have also not been strong enough to deal with the punishment dealt to them when they pass the line of scrimmage either.

RANDYRAM Guest

TEKE & Rams_fan81

HOW about (Joe Montana,Steve Young,5 super bowls 5 wins) I and allot of browns fans would call (John Elway 5 super bowls 1win)a scrambling QB
    Roger Staubach 5 super bowls 2 wins
    Fran Tarkington 4 super bowls 0 wins
    Brett Farve 2 super bowls 1 win
    Lets see thats 21 super bowls with 9 wins

TEKE I have seen almost all teams have plays for there QB to take the ball and run!

I would say most teams have a drop back QBs but the ones that can evade a rush
    and make plays with there scrambling ability(witch I call a scrambling QB) either bye passing or running the ball
    I want a QB that can get out of trouble instead of another Mark the statue Bulger!

I like Mark he's a good QB but not great!
    He doesn't have the skills to avoid the rush! It just puts a lot more pressure on a
    defense when you force them to stay at home. When the Rams pass the ball
    nobody is afraid that Mark is going to run!

chiguy is offline Registered User

You think Joe Montana was a scrambling QB?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Randy, I believe there is still a difference to be seen between mobile and a true scrambling QB. Look at the Pass/Run ratio for several QBs, and see if the difference shows itself.

Dan Marino - 27.77
    Marc Bulger - 25.88
    Brett Favre - 15.88
    Joe Montana - 11.8
    Fran Tarkenton - 9.58
    John Elway - 9.37
    Roger Staubach - 7.21
    Steve Young - 5.75
    Vince Young - 4.20
    Michael Vick - 3.27

Pure pocket passers - Marino, Bulger
    Mobile (when have to) - Favre, Montana
    Truly Mobile - Tarkenton, Elway, Staubach
    Almost a scrambler - S. Young
    True Scrambling QBs - Vick, V. Young
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RANDYRAM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Randy, I believe there is still a difference to be seen between mobile and a true scrambling QB. Look at the Pass/Run ratio for several QBs, and see if the difference shows itself.

Dan Marino - 27.77
    Marc Bulger - 25.88
    Brett Favre - 15.88
    Joe Montana - 11.8
    Fran Tarkenton - 9.58
    John Elway - 9.37
    Roger Staubach - 7.21
    Steve Young - 5.75
    Vince Young - 4.20
    Michael Vick - 3.27

Pure pocket passers - Marino, Bulger
    Mobile (when have to) - Favre, Montana
    Truly Mobile - Tarkenton, Elway, Staubach
    Almost a scrambler - S. Young
    True Scrambling QBs - Vick, V. Young
    First let me say that M.Vick is not in the same league as the QBs I listed!
    V.Young lets wait and see! He is still developing and may do some great things! I would take him any day over M. Bulger.

(The one thing that ALL THESE QBs have in common)
    They had a GREAT TEAM around them!

HUbison that is a very nice break down where did you find that?
    As far as I know Elway leads all QBs In rushing !
    Montana & Young were bolth in a west coast system that had
    the QB running and throwing! Montana was one of the best QBs
    at throwing on the run with a nice touch to be able drop the ball
    in to his receiver as in (the catch to Dwight Clark)

In 1979 new head coach Bill Walsh and a brash rookie quarterback from Notre Dame named Joe Montana ushered in an era of unprecedented stability and success for the *****. Two years after the team posted a league-worst 2-14 record, Walsh won coach of the year honors for steering San Francisco to 13 regular season wins and a victory over the Cincinnati Bengals in Super Bowl XVI. Carrying San Francisco into the Super Bowl was a last-minute touchdown pass from Montana to Dwight Clark that resulted in an NFC championship; it became known in football history as “The Catch.”

San Francisco returned to the playoffs in 1983, something they would do in 11 of the following 12 seasons. Montana finished the year with a 93.1 quarterback rating—the highest in league history (the rating, which tracks passing efficiency, is based on completions, yards gained, touchdowns, and interceptions). A season later the ***** dominated the league with an 18-1 overall win-loss record (including the playoffs) and a victory over the Miami Dolphins in Super Bowl XIX.

Steve Young took over for Montana as San Francisco’s starting quarterback in 1991, capturing the NFL passing title for the first of a league-record four consecutive times. Young’s streak culminated in a Super Bowl XXIX victory over the San Diego Chargers, and his 112.8 rating in 1994 broke Montana’s league mark. A year later, Rice broke the NFL’s career receptions record by catching his 941st pass and the career yardage record with 14,004 yards.

Bud Grant steered the team to four Super Bowls. Quarterback Fran Tarkenton, who spent much of his career with the Vikings, became the most prolific passer in NFL history, compiling the most career yards, completions, and touchdown passes during his 15 years in the league.

Roger Staubach took over as quarterback and led the league in passing; he was named the 1972 NFC player of the year.

Denver has been one of the AFC’s most consistent teams since the mid-1970s. From 1977 to 1999 the team reached the playoffs 13 times and the Super Bowl six times. Longtime Broncos quarterback John Elway reached the NFL’s all-time top five in career passing yards, quarterback rushing yards, and completions.

Green Bay’s success continued as Favre threw 39 touchdown passes to lead Green Bay to 13 victories and its second consecutive division title in 1996. In the playoffs the Packers captured the NFC championship and defeated the New England Patriots 35-21 in Super Bowl XXXI. The following season the Packers continued to dominate the NFC, with another 13 wins and the Central Division title.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    As far as I know Elway leads all QBs In rushing !
    Elway - 3407 yards, 3.3 att./game, 14.6 yards/game
    Montana - 1676 yards, 2.4 att./game, 8.7 yards/game
    S. Young - 4239 yards, 4.3 att./game, 25.1 yards/game
    Vick - 3859 yards, 7.1 att./game, 52.1 yards/game
    V. Young - 947 yards, 5.9 att./game, 31.6 yards/game

Staubach - 2264 yards, 3.1 att./game, 17.3 yards/game
    Tarkenton - 3674 yards, 2.7 att./game, 14.9 yards/game

Again, Vick and VY are scramblers. Those other guys (with the exception of S. Young) are just mobile enough to get out of trouble.

And back to the original point, scramblers don't win Super Bowls on a historical basis.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast