Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Justin Blackmon - Character concerns?

There were a number of fans on this site that were critical of DeSean Jackson for doing this in the Giants game a few weeks ago. In Jackson's case, there was only seconds on the clock, and he ran horizontally in front of the goal line before scoring the winning touchdown at the end of the game. Here, Blackmon does a similar thing, but there are nearly nine minutes left in the first quarter.

The Big XII coordinator of officials said this wasn't excessive, but I thought I would pose the question since I know there was a discussion that heavily criticized Jackson for doing something similar.

When you combine something like this with Blackmon's one-game suspension this season due to an October DUI arrest, do you believe there are character concerns with Justin Blackmon? Do you think if there are that they are significant enough for the Rams to remove him from the draft board?

It may be a moot point, as the latest I've heard is that he's leaning towards staying in school anyways. But I'm wondering how the Clan feels about the topic, since most regard Blackmon as a potential target for the Rams if they're looking for a receiver in the first round.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-11-2011 at 06:28 PM.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Justin Blackmon - Character concerns?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    When you combine something like this with Blackmon's one-game suspension this season due to an October DUI arrest, do you believe there are character concerns with Justin Blackmon? Do you think if there are that they are significant enough for the Rams to remove him from the draft board?
    Everything I've seen or read about Blackmon points to him being a good kid who made a bad decision. The DUI was by all accounts the only mistake he's made. Not that it really matters, but Blackmon only had minimal trace amounts of alcohol in his system, was well below the legal limit, and only got a DUI because Texas law requires it if the driver is under 21. 48 hours after he was arrested, he held a press conference where he expressed his embarrassment and remorse, took full resonsibility, admitted he should be punished and said he looked forward to proving that the arrest didn't represent who he was. The fact that he manned up and faced the press tells me a lot.

Unlike Jackson, Blackmon has no attitude issues, no character issues, no pattern of bad behavior and is well thought of at OSU. As far as the TD, it was stupid and hopefully he learns stuff like that isn't a good idea. I'm guessing he will. I would not take him off the draft board.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Well i have heard good things about his work ethic which is a positive. Also i think there should be a fine line drawn between characters issues and swagger. As long as Blackmon doesnt get penalized for it itz okay. If he works hard for every catch and every TD and is a team player i think he will be fine.

I think Blackmon has swag not character issues.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

There is also a fine line between swagger, and jerky showboating. Running along the goalline as a taunt to show how badly you beat the defense isn't swagger. That's showboating, it's taunting, and it's generally being a jerk, which just so happens to be diva behavior.

I'll leave this up to the Rams FO and their interviews, if he declares. However that clip certainly lowered my opinion of him. I would have trouble rooting for a WR who does things like, I don't know, stopping before the goalline, turning around, then falling backwards across it as he flips the ball into the air. Keep that junk off my team. Make the play, once it is done...make the next play.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'll say he has a red flag, but not a black ball. The Rams will need to do their homework with him.

I will say this... from a character standpoint, Julio Jones seems to have the edge over Blackmon.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Agree with both Berg and Avenger. I hate the fact that he did this. It certainly lowered the way I look at him. There is no need or reason to do that. I am so glad we don't have players like that. And on the other hand, Julio Jones has the edge for me too. Hes bigger, stronger, better route runner, and is basically the perfect attitude. I wish we could get A.J Green. We aren't, but Julio is a great consolation prize.