Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Justin Blackmon or Matt Kalil?

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

Justin Blackmon or Matt Kalil?

Who do you think is more needed for the rams? Please discuss!

Have fun with this argument fellow clan members =)

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: Justin Blackmon or Matt Kalil?

Quote Originally Posted by xkidflowx View Post
    Who do you think is more needed for the rams? Please discuss!Have fun with this argument fellow clan members =)
    Blackmon However, if Lloyds resigned, I wouldnt disagree with Kalil. If hes not resigned, Blackmon better be our first pick.

just imagine blackmon and lloyd thogh.. and amendola + salas .. we'd have a good receiving corps!
    ManofGod likes this.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Lloyd or no Lloyd, I'd go Blackmon. I really want us to re-sign LLoyd though. Lloyd, Blackmon and Amendola? Dude!

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Lloyd or no Lloyd, I'd go Blackmon. I really want us to re-sign LLoyd though. Lloyd, Blackmon and Amendola? Dude!
    Would be sick...lets hope this is how we end up and the line can give Bradford enough time to find them.
    Fettmaster likes this.

I know.. We wouldn't really need a amazing line if we have receivers who can Get separation

Agrajag is offline Registered User

It would be nice if they were to pick one aspect of the game to excel at it.

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

If the Rams take Matt Kalil, what does that mean for the overpaid Jason Smith? I have read that Kalil is a "no brainer" to help Bradford. I feel that the Rams need O-Line more than anything because keeping Sam upright is how you win.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Matt Kalil imo and it's a no brainer. We have the worst pass protection in the league. People want to use the Smith flop and Safford pick as reasons not to select Kalil but that just makes no sense. You don't give up on an elite level player at your biggest need position because you made bad selections before. Kalil may be the best tackle prospect since Joe Thomas and many think he's the best prospect since Pace. Smith was always something of a question mark. I just can't see us passing a guy who will be a pro bowl lt for the next 10-15 years.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I see many drafts having us take Kalil but the thing is these draft "experts" follow every team and just see the sack statistics and assume we need a OT instead of a WR...NO!

Its a no brainer that if blackmon is on the board we take him. The reason many of our WRs drop balls is because bradford throws so hard. So we need WRs with great hands. how many times are we going to take a lineman early and not focus on the skill positions that win games

Rambos is offline Registered User

By now most know where I'm going with this Matt Kalil should be the pick. We have all heard it before and that is it all starts upfront. Once Sam can have a clean pocket his play will rise. Does not matter weather it's Warner, Marc or Sam. Once the beating begin every QB play will drop.

Blackmon can only really help in the passing game where Kalil will help in both the passing and running game.

If the Rams take Matt Kalil, what does that mean for the overpaid Jason Smith?
    Smith has more issues then his play, he is missing games due his health. I'm not a Cap expert, but I would try and move him inside and restructure his deal if that's possible.

All hope is not lost with Smith if we move him inside... this read sums up where Smith was prior to the draft.
    Smith needs to add at least another 20 pounds of bulk to handle the rigors of playing left tackle at the next level. His lack of great footwork and need to improve his stance could be covered up better playing inside for a year or two because he's still a neophyte at the left tackle position (19 starts).

If we draft Kalil we would look like this upfront next year.

LT Kalil
    LG Smith
    C Wragge... Most likely a FA
    RG Dahl
    RT Salford

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Blackmon, the only reason our O-line looks bad is because Bradford has the tendency to hold the ball too long or they can't handle the blitz on a consistent basis. Remember last season when Bradford did well under pressure? That was because he had Danny Amendola to keep the kid secure. With our receiving corps taking a new low minus Lloyd, it's laughably easy to beat most of our WR corps on one-on-one coverage while all it takes is 2 DBs to cover Lloyd, everyone else can happily stuff the box where they can either blitz Bradford or stop Jackson.

If we can get Blackmon, linebackers will be more focused on coverage while Bradford can show off his accuracy (if he still has it), pinpointing a less narrow window to throw to; defenses will be more spread out so it makes it easier for Jackson to make running lanes while they have to make 2nd thoughts on what to do before even stuffing the box.

Even if we do get Kalil, I don't support moving Saffold to RT, he's more of a finesse blocker and that doesn't bode well for bullrushers, which tend to be on our right end. If we want to address our O-line during the offseason, we best find a suitable backup at RT (particularly at the 3rd-4th rounds) for when Smith goes down or if we're lucky, Demetrius Bell from the Bills might be an FA and the guy is an excellent run blocker and a solid pass protector (Jackson will love running right with him and Dahl). Saffold and Smith may have had struggles to pass protection but their struggles stem from Bradford holding the ball too long and initial unfamiliarity with the system but as we went into the midseason, they have done a solid job until the injuries started plaguing them.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Everything on offense hinges on the effectiveness of the OL. Weapons are great, if you can utilize them. With the state of things up front for the Rams, weapons, any weapons, are just running around occupying space. I would love to have Blackmon, who is an amazing difference maker, but not at the expense of making a desperately needed upgrade of the OL. I'd take Kalil.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Blackmon, the only reason our O-line looks bad is because Bradford has the tendency to hold the ball too long or they can't handle the blitz on a consistent basis. Remember last season when Bradford did well under pressure? That was because he had Danny Amendola to keep the kid secure. With our receiving corps taking a new low minus Lloyd, it's laughably easy to beat most of our WR corps on one-on-one coverage while all it takes is 2 DBs to cover Lloyd, everyone else can happily stuff the box where they can either blitz Bradford or stop Jackson.

If we can get Blackmon, linebackers will be more focused on coverage while Bradford can show off his accuracy (if he still has it), pinpointing a less narrow window to throw to; defenses will be more spread out so it makes it easier for Jackson to make running lanes while they have to make 2nd thoughts on what to do before even stuffing the box.

Even if we do get Kalil, I don't support moving Saffold to RT, he's more of a finesse blocker and that doesn't bode well for bullrushers, which tend to be on our right end. If we want to address our O-line during the offseason, we best find a suitable backup at RT (particularly at the 3rd-4th rounds) for when Smith goes down or if we're lucky, Demetrius Bell from the Bills might be an FA and the guy is an excellent run blocker and a solid pass protector (Jackson will love running right with him and Dahl). Saffold and Smith may have had struggles to pass protection but their struggles stem from Bradford holding the ball too long and initial unfamiliarity with the system but as we went into the midseason, they have done a solid job until the injuries started plaguing them.
    the only reason our O-line looks bad is because Bradford has the tendency to hold the ball too long
    I disagree sure Sam is holding the ball too long at time BUT he get hits a lot of times because guys upfront are getting beat. Here is a prime example, last Sunday we where in the Red zone when Sam got hit and fumbled. He was not waiting on a deep route as we where in the red zone. The LT just got beat!

Sure Blackmon would help a Ton with opening things up, but that's a band aid when the real problem is addressing the weak spot. If the O line is one of the best in the league then all the WR on the team will have that extra second to get separation. The Running game becomes better in the Red zone. I keep hearing our running game is fine look at SJax yards per carry... how about when it counts down in the red zone. Can we pound the rock from the 20 and score points?

Bradford can show off his accuracy
    Take a look at any games this year when Sam has a clean pocket and time the ball comes out on target. We did lead the league in drops through the first five games.

I don't support moving Saffold to RT
    I disagree he was projected to play RT and we drafted him to play RT. He just out played Smith and now we know that was not saying much. I think he would be a great RT.

Saffold is a second round quality tackle who could be a first round talent any other year. He began starting halfway through his freshman year and has started ever since. He has the experience and the results to be worthy of an early selection. However, he's not wide enough to play LT and may get beaten by faster players around the corner. He can handle the stronger defensive linemen, which makes him a prime RT candidate.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Has to be Blackmon. Look at the last two great tackles taken in the draft, Long and Thomas, even though they play at a pro bowl level their respect teams, particularly their offenses, haven't had great success.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast