Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Justin Blackmon or Matt Kalil?

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Justin Blackmon or Matt Kalil?

Im torn

On one hand i want Kalil so that Bradford doesnt keep getting beatin to a pulp and get bulgerized/Carrized.

On the other hand, having a legit #1 and #2 with 2 great slot options, and having a few options for #3 wr would definalty take some of the focus off getting to Bradford and help him big time in getting the ball out quickly when needed.

Im not sold on Saffold being a LT starter yet. he did great last year but not this year in the new system, which could be a result of WR play, and at RT we definatly need someone new, Smith(in year 3) has shown hes not even capable of being a starting RT.

Hopefully we can have a great FA period and Saffold can regain his 2010 form.

Also a lot of this depends on if McDaniels returns or not.

Once we the season ends, we can determine a lot more of what our needs are then by who gets fired or doesnt.

I still love Blackmon. But Kalil is knockin on the door now.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I'll take Blackmon. Sure the Dolphins have Jake Long, but what did it do for them? They are terrible on offense. The Browns have Joe Thomas? And? Yup, another horrible offense with an amazing LT.
    A great LT is the foundation of a great offense, it does not make your offense great. Both those LT's are both great players, but the teams they play for have not added the skill players to have a great offense.

The Rams had Pace for two years before he anchored the greatest show. The skill players can do what they do once the O line is secure.

Pace was the #1 pick overall in 1997 and has anchored the Ramís offensive line ever since. He has made 7 trips to the Pro Bowl and appeared in 2 Super Bowls with the team.
    Lets not for get another HOF Ram tackle JACKIE SLATER

Slater became a starter in 1979 and was a part of an offensive line that surrendered just 29 sacks and helped the Ramsí offense finish second in the NFL in total yards gained with 6,006.

The 6-4, 277-pound tackle went on to become the mainstay of the Ramsí offensive line. Slater was a first- or second-team all-pro selection following five different seasons and a first- or second-team All-NFC choice, seven times. A popular player known for his work ethic and leadership skills, Slater earned seven Pro Bowl berths. His first selection followed the 1983 season, and then was chosen in consecutive years from 1985 through 1990.

Twenty-four different quarterbacks and 37 different running backs played behind Slater during his long career. A powerful drive blocker, Slater blocked for seven different 1,000-yard rushers, including Lawrence McCutcheon, Wendell Tyler, Eric Dickerson, Charles White, Greg Bell, Cleveland Gary, and Jerome Bettis. He also blocked in 107 games in which a runner gained 100 yards or more. Slater was also a quality pass blocker.

Twenty-seven times Rams quarterbacks threw for 300 yards or more in a game with Jackie in the lineup. In 1983, he and the Rams offensive line demonstrated their versatility when they allowed a league-low 23 sacks while also paving the way for Dickersonís rookie rushing record of 1,808 yards.

A veteran of 18 playoff games, including Super Bowl XIV, Slater was a model of consistent superlative play and was widely regarded as one of the gameís premier linemen.
    I guess I'm just old school, young guys say this player is a beast and I hear that a lot, well Slater is what i call a beast. "It all starts up front"
    Tampa_Ram and lostsoul like this.

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

lets take blackmon.. im sold on what he did.. well every saturday! ..

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I'm one of the biggest advocates for setting the foundation of an oline first, but can anyone name the Packers left tackle?

I think with a new injection of leadership (I'm looking at you Jason Brown ) and actually being healthy, our tackles will be just fine.

Thinking of Sam throwing to Lloyd, Blackmon, Amendola, Salas, and Kendricks brings a big smile to my face.

Lord help us if Adam Goldberg is still on this team next year...

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I'm one of the biggest advocates for setting the foundation of an oline first, but can anyone name the Packers left tackle?

I think with a new injection of leadership (I'm looking at you Jason Brown ) and actually being healthy, our tackles will be just fine.

Thinking of Sam throwing to Lloyd, Blackmon, Amendola, Salas, and Kendricks brings a big smile to my face.

Lord help us if Adam Goldberg is still on this team next year...
    Chad Clifton.. Hes a pro bowler actually While he was out for a bit the rookie Marshall Newhouse stepped in and they didn't skip a beat, so I see your point.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Chad Clifton.. Hes a pro bowler actually While he was out for a bit the rookie Marshall Newhouse stepped in and they didn't skip a beat, so I see your point.
    You must take into account how many plays that Aaron Rodgers makes in the pocket. This guy is never still in the pocket, where as Bradford is bolted to the ground.?

To me, Rodger's footwork is a thing of beauty. Bradford's footwork, reminds me of a new born colt.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -12-07-2011 at 01:15 PM.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I think that, to reach a conclusion, you have to first ask 3 questions:

1. Which player is a better prospect?
    At this point, its too close to call. Personally, I'd give the edge to Blackmon, but its hard to compare. Both are clearly elite prospects at their positions.

2. Which is a bigger need?
    The Rams absolutely need upgrades at both positions, but there are (at least) two big unaswered questions. The first is whether the Rams will sign Brandon Lloyd. If they don't, WR becomes a HUGE need. If they do, it still remains a big need. The second is what the the Rams currently think about Rodger Saffold? If he is still regarded as the long-term solution at LT, then drafting an OT in the top 5 makes no sense at all. If, instead, he is viewed as a better long-term solution at RT, then LT becomes a priority.

3. What is the dropoff at the position if the Rams wait until Round 2?
    I think its safe to presume that best WR who will be available in Round 2 of the draft will be a substantially inferior prospect compared to Justin Blackmon. The same could be said for OT, but I think that position may be deeper. We won't know for sure until underclassmen declare.

So, there are still a lot of questions to answer but, at this point, I am firmly in the "draft Blackmon" camp.
    MauiRam likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

At this point, its too close to call. Personally, I'd give the edge to Blackmon, but its hard to compare. Both are clearly elite prospects at their positions.

The Rams absolutely need upgrades at both positions, but there are (at least) two big unaswered questions. The first is whether the Rams will sign Brandon Lloyd. If they don't, WR becomes a HUGE need. If they do, it still remains a big need. The second is what the the Rams currently think about Rodger Saffold? If he is still regarded as the long-term solution at LT, then drafting an OT in the top 5 makes no sense at all. If, instead, he is viewed as a better long-term solution at RT, then LT becomes a priority.

I think its safe to presume that best WR who will be available in Round 2 of the draft will be a substantially inferior prospect compared to Justin Blackmon. The same could be said for OT, but I think that position may be deeper. We won't know for sure until underclassmen declare.

So, there are still a lot of questions to answer but, at this point, I am firmly in the "draft Blackmon" camp.
    One other factor I wonder about is whether or not the Rams see Jason Smith as a solution to our right tackle spot. Will Jason have to call it a career due to all the concussions he has sustained? If he does, or the Rams choose to opt out, then we will really be thin at tackle.

I wouldn't be disappointed with either Blackmon or Kalil, - I guess I"m still on the fence until more info is available pertaining to the Rams' plans concerning Jason and Rodger ..

Another option would be the acquisition of a veteran lineman (a starter) through FA, but I have no idea who will be available next year at this juncture. Any thoughts on possibilities there?

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Another option would be the acquisition of a veteran lineman (a starter) through FA, but I have no idea who will be available next year at this juncture. Any thoughts on possibilities there?
    Demetrius Bell is a candidate if he decides to leave the Bills next season. Depending on what we acquire in the offseason, will be what we determine in the draft. As of now though, I'm still on the Blackmon for Prez campaign. I understand O-line being a need to protect our franchise QB but lets also look outside the box, our short route receivers have been injured. Danny Amendola and Greg Salas were Bradford's security blankets when he had no options to throw to downfield. When all you have is Lloyd and Jackson as offensive weapons, you're left with a really one-dimensional offense. Adding Blackmon creates another dimension in our offense along with getting Amendola and Salas back in the roster.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I cant believe we even have to discuss this. I honestly thought after last year that we wouldn't have to think about replacing our bookends in 10+ years..

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I have the solution.

Move Jason Smith back to the left side, where he played all through college. I don't think he made the transition to RT very smoothly, I want to see him play at his natural spot.

For Saffold, we have two options.
    A) Move him to RT.
    B) Move him to LG.

I don't think Bell will be back. Honestly, I think only one guard will be back, and it will probably be Dahl. If Saffold goes to LG, we draft an RT or sign one in FA.

If Saffold does go to RT though, Bell MIGHT be back.

As for center, either keep Tony "I play center and I still false started" Wragge, or draft a developmental one later in the draft.

We also need to draft Justin Blackmon if we want to keep Brandon Lloyd. Lloyd wants to play for a contender, a team that is serious about winning. If we draft Blackmon, it shows we're committed to getting playmakers and getting a productive offense.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Which player is a better prospect?
    All I care about is which one makes the Rams better.

Which is a bigger need?

Here is a question does Brandstater throw a nice deep ball? Not sure if anyone has noticed but our franchise QB is missing a lot of time. The bigger need is clear in my eyes. If Sam misses significant time next year we will be calling him a bust.

What is the dropoff at the position if the Rams wait until Round 2?

I don't think there is a WR close to Blackmon in the second round period! But there are some nice additions in free agency.

Reggie Wayne (IND)
    Wes Welker (NE)
    Vincent Jackson (SD)
    DeSean Jackson (PHI)
    Dwayne Bowe (KC)
    Marques Colston (NO)
    Steve Johnson (BUF
    Brandon Lloyd (STL)
    Robert Meachem (NO)
    Mario Manningham (NYG)
    Mike Wallace (PIT)

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Fist off Im sorry, idk, but in the history of the nfl has any team taken 3 talckes in the first 33-34 picks in 3yrs? I doubt it. And you dont give up on 1st round picks in year 2 or 3 (i know saffold was a 2nd but it was damn near rd 1).

Secondly we are in dire need of playmakers, game changers that have speed. The only guy that qualifies of this on our roster is lloyd but if he gets double and triple teamed like the niners did we are back to the same stagnet offensive. Blackmon is a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Fist off Im sorry, idk, but in the history of the nfl has any team taken 3 talckes in the first 33-34 picks in 3yrs? I doubt it. And you dont give up on 1st round picks in year 2 or 3 (i know saffold was a 2nd but it was damn near rd 1).

Secondly we are in dire need of playmakers, game changers that have speed. The only guy that qualifies of this on our roster is lloyd but if he gets double and triple teamed like the niners did we are back to the same stagnet offensive. Blackmon is a no brainer.

Not sure if teams missed on OT, but the Lions drafted four WR in round one within five years. If you miss you can't pass on a need if the player projected to be the best on the board when you draft. The last WR taken was Calvin Johnson, it took them awhile but they got a franchise WR.

Round Overall Player Pos. College
    1 2 Rogers, Charles WR Michigan State

1 7 Williams, Roy WR Texas

1 10 Williams, Mike WR Southern California

1 2 Johnson, Calvin WR Georgia Tech

To your second point Blackmon is a no brainer again there are no sure things look at all the WR the Lions thought where no brainers. Some players just can't cut it in the pros's and we won't know until they start playing. Look at Aaron Curry.

After being drafted fourth, Curry became the highest paid non-quarterback rookie in NFL history as he signed a six-year, $60 million contract with $34 million being guaranteed. The Seahawks felt he was worth that price since he was the consensus pick as the best linebacker in the draft.

He was also the highest chosen linebacker in an NFL draft since Penn State's LaVarr Arrington was selected second by the Redskins in 2000.

In the two-and-a-half years Curry was in Seattle, he gave the Seahawks 5.5 sacks and 126 tackles (with 26 assists) and four forced fumbles.
    All teams take players that are bust, but you can't pass on a player because you missed in draft in recent years as painful as it is...
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-10-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

I was aware about the lions but my point is i dont wanna go down that same path, and frankly we dont need to. 2 tackles are on the field at one time... You can have 5 wrs, so what the lions did was a little different than offensive tackles. X

And when i saiid blackmon is a no brainer. I mean picking him over kalil is. We need playmakers hands down.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast