Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Justin Blackmon or Matt Kalil?

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: Justin Blackmon or Matt Kalil?

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    I was aware about the lions but my point is i dont wanna go down that same path, and frankly we dont need to. 2 tackles are on the field at one time... You can have 5 wrs, so what the lions did was a little different than offensive tackles. X

And when i saiid blackmon is a no brainer. I mean picking him over kalil is. We need playmakers hands down.
    The lions did not draft 4 receivers to have them all play at the same time although that would be possible. They kept drafting WR because they did not workout.

Charles Rogers
    Former Detroit Lions wide receiver Charles Rogers must repay the team $6.1 million of a $9.1-million signing bonus because of his 2005 suspension for substance abuse.

Roy Williams
    Williams was traded to the Dallas Cowboys on October 14, 2008. After being traded mid-season to the Cowboys, Williams started seven games, caught 19 passes for 198 yards and one touchdown. By the close of the 2010 season, Williams had totaled 94 regular season catches for the Cowboys. He was released by the Cowboys on July 28, 2011
    Having two tackles on the field is not possible. It would not hurt to add a true LT and slide Saffold over to his normal position RT. If Matt Kalil was not a huge upgrade over Saffold which he is, I would not draft him. We already know Saffold is better then Smith due to the fact he's playing LT over the higher draft pick Smith. So what to do with that extra tackle. Bell is likely to be moving on why not move Smith inside and let him continue to find his game. In two years he;s missed time due to concussions. If he can stay healthy and play some guard he could also be capable of backing of the tackles if one goes down. Another option is cut your loses, I'd rather see him take a pay cut and move inside.

I would not think the choice between the two will be an easy one, I guess it will come down to free agency and who available to sign. Who is in charge of the Rams and what the philosophy is when it comes to rebuilding. I think they both are going to be good players.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Everything on offense hinges on the effectiveness of the OL. Weapons are great, if you can utilize them. With the state of things up front for the Rams, weapons, any weapons, are just running around occupying space. I would love to have Blackmon, who is an amazing difference maker, but not at the expense of making a desperately needed upgrade of the OL. I'd take Kalil.
    Blackmon needs to be quicker than 4.55 at the combine. Nearly all the best playmakers are 4.4 and under. At the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft, I expect a player who ticks all the boxes. Lack of explosion is a WR killer in todays NFL.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -12-22-2011 at 10:38 AM.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Actually, 40 yard dash time has little to do with explosive play making ability. If Larry Fitzgerald can run a 4.55 and Donnie Avery a 4.23 and Larry Fitzgerald is the great receiver and Donnie Avery the scrub on the street, 40 yard dash time doesn't seem very important.
    39WillRunYaOva likes this.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Blackmon needs to be quicker than 4.55 at the combine. Nearly all the best playmakers are 4.4 and under. At the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft, I expect a player who ticks all the boxes. Lack of explosion is a WR killer in todays NFL.?
    Vincent Jackson: 4.46
    Larry Fitzgerald: 4.55
    Andre Johnson: 4.41
    Dez Bryant: 4.52
    Miles Austin: 4.47
    Sidney Rice: 4.51
    Brandon Lloyd: 4.62
    Brandon Marshall: 4.52

Should I continue?
    39WillRunYaOva likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Judaxi View Post
    Vincent Jackson: 4.46Larry Fitzgerald: 4.55Andre Johnson: 4.41Dez Bryant: 4.52Miles Austin: 4.47Sidney Rice: 4.51Brandon Lloyd: 4.62Brandon Marshall: 4.52Should I continue?
    Exactly, think if you can run a perfect route often, then those however many tenths of a second becone less important.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Should I continue?
    A lot of them players are in the 4's Judaxi. Im not saying playing WR in the NFL is all about speed, but it is a key ingredient. I realize their are exceptions to the rule. Larry Fitzgerald and Jerry Rice being the best examples. Its just a personal preference of mine. I just think their is a big difference in a tenth of a second. If Blackmon runs a 4.45, Id feel a lot better about taking him. Its more about drafting the player who has the least concerns for me. Im just sick and tired of the Rams drafting underachieving players.
    Its no coincidence to me, the two most explosive receivers on your list, are the quickest there. ????
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -12-23-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

Blackmon is a beast and have great strength and endurance. If he "only" runs in 4.5 i'm sure he still have 4.5 speed after 50 snaps.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Gotta take Blackmon. I'm just so tired of these lineman picks....

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

hmm.. im so high on blackmon.. but IF we dont get the #1 overall pick.. im sure we get matt kalil as the #2 as he is a cant miss prospect either.. IF we do get kalil i hope we pick up Vjax or a elite receiver too

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by xkidflowx View Post
    hmm.. im so high on blackmon.. but IF we dont get the #1 overall pick.. im sure we get matt kalil as the #2 as he is a cant miss prospect either.. IF we do get kalil i hope we pick up Vjax or a elite receiver too
    nearly every mock draft I've seen has rated Kalil as a better prospect than Blackmon. Kalil seems to be a can't miss type of prospect. I'm not sure Blackmon is. I'd be happy with either but I'd prefer Kalil and then for us to go wide receiver in round 2 or try to sign one in free agency.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

I'm undecided, but stud T's are much harder to get than good WRs. Another OT is a "boring" pick, so I see why most people wouldn't want him.

I'm also unsure if blackmon is really worth drafting this early. I haven't watched him, but he doesn't have elite speed or size. I know that doesn't mean everything, but I believe that really hurts his chances of being a dominant WR at the NFL level. And think he should go later in the draft.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Should I continue?
    The speed isn't the issue with the people on this list but I think size is. Other than Lloyd is there anyone on that list that's 6'1" or under? With a number 2 pick I want a Megatron. I'd look harder at Alshon Jeffery than Blackmon at this point.

If you can't trade down I'd take Kalil. Hell I might take Kalil over the picks. This team needs the next Orlando Pace.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    The speed isn't the issue with the people on this list but I think size is. Other than Lloyd is there anyone on that list that's 6'1" or under? With a number 2 pick I want a Megatron. I'd look harder at Alshon Jeffery than Blackmon at this point.

If you can't trade down I'd take Kalil. Hell I might take Kalil over the picks. This team needs the next Orlando Pace.
    Dez bryant and blackmon are basically the same size.... Physical specimans.... But that doesnt mean anything. He can catch, get seperation, jump, and everything. We need playmakers not a tackle. And we can find a tackle in later rounds like 4-7. Most teams (if any) dont have 3 first round ol playing becuase you can find quality guys later on you justg gotta coach them up.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

The huge need for a receiver is clouding some people judgment. I like Blackmon, but he is certainly not worth the number 2 overal pick.

1. He is notch below Julio Jones and AJ Green who went 4 and 6 respectively. Both of those guys are faster taller, more explosive, and played in pro style offenses. I don't even think he is a better prospect than Dez Bryant. The 4th best WR prospect in recent years is going to get picked the highest?

2. Matt Kalil best pass blocking prospect since Joe thomas

3. Luck, Griffen, Morris Claiborne, Kalil all are clearly better prospects regardless of position. Hard to put Blackmon at 2 on your board and call him the BPA

4. Mohamed Sanu and possibly Alshon Jeffery who has fallen behing Kendall Wright, Floyd and Blackmon could be available at the top of the 2nd. Much more exciting than the OT's Mike Adams and Zebrie Sanders

5. WR may be the deepest position in FA with Colston, Bowe, Lloyd, Vincent Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Jerome Simpson to name a few

6. On most boards RGIII and Kalil are 2 and 3 in some order. WE have a QB so Kalil is probably two on our board.

7. Megatron last receiver who went number 2 overall miles away from Blackmon as a prospect.

As of now I can't see why it wouldn't be Kalil barring a trade down or a miraculous Blackmon or even Morris Claiborne combine.
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -01-01-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: megatron
    Bald_81, lostsoul and DE_Ramfan like this.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I posted this in another thread but I think it bears repeating here:

If you asked me in September, I'd say Blackmon. But now I'm going to go with Kalil. It was almost assumed that we had both tackle spots solved for multiple years but that certainly is not the case as of now. Saffold regressed mightily after a nice rookie campaign, and Jason Smith had yet another concussion that could cloud (no pun intended) his NFL future, which more than likely will be at guard. I know it's not the exciting route to take and everyone is begging for a playmaker, but the Rams must be smart and protect their huge investment in Sam Bradford.

Watching Kalil, he has everything you want from an elite LT. He is extremely athletic, has great, fluid feet and long arms with a great first punch. The only issue I have with him is that he needs to put on more weight at the next level. His legs aren't thick at all and although he is a gem in pass protection, his run blocking could use some refinement and that will come with adding bulk and muscle. Thankfully he is close to 6'7 so asking him to add 10-15 lbs. should not be an issue at all. Unless we get an offer we can't refuse for #2 overall, I see us just standing pat and taking Matt. See what I did there?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast