Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Justin Blackmon or Matt Kalil?

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Justin Blackmon or Matt Kalil?

Can't believe people are still "Falling Flat for Matt", Saffold has one bad season and most of you are already giving up on him? Assuming we draft Kalil, you really think he can handle RT or interior guard where there are more bull rushes?! That's the key area where he has struggled this season. Although Kalil has more upside than Saffold, the gap between their athleticism isn't that far off, and given a chance as well as a new O-line coach who'll teach him the proper technique, he can be our LT of the future.

As for Smith, I'll give him one more shot at RT while we look for a reliable backup on that side along with restructuring his deal. RTs can be easily found in later draft rounds or FA. Bell is most certainly done unless we get Fisher as a coach and he might consider reviving his career (note the connection at Tennessee). Jason Brown also needs to restructure his deal if he's going back to guard while I support the idea of drafting a Center in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I do think getting Blackmon with the #2 overall pick is considered a reach but ENOUGH is ENOUGH when we lack playmaking weapons at receiving, we need a damn receiver that can grow with Bradford and if you want to complain about our O-line woes, horrible receiver play should ALSO be held accountable for victimizing Bradford with the sacks. You know our receiving corps is REALLY bad when 1-on-1 coverage MINUS Lloyd are all it takes to beat them while everyone else on defense can happily blitz till Kingdom Come.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Can't believe people are still "Falling Flat for Matt", Saffold has one bad season and most of you are already giving up on him? Assuming we draft Kalil, you really think he can handle RT or interior guard where there are more bull rushes?! That's the key area where he has struggled this season. Although Kalil has more upside than Saffold, the gap between their athleticism isn't that far off, and given a chance as well as a new O-line coach who'll teach him the proper technique, he can be our LT of the future.
    Can't believe people are still "Falling Flat for Matt" I guess your saying he is overrated, He's not. As far as Saffold goes I don't think anyone is giving up on him. Saffold is better suited to play RT then LT. Kalil is a huge upgrade of Saffold at LT and Sallfold is an upgrade of Smith at RT. The hope is we can salvage Smith by moving him inside where he should be an upgrade over Bell. I'm thinking by taking Kalil the O line is upgraded at just about every position and has more depth.

Saffold draft notes:

Saffold is a second round quality tackle who could be a first round talent any other year. He began starting halfway through his freshman year and has started ever since. He has the experience and the results to be worthy of an early selection. However, he's not wide enough to play LT and may get beaten by faster players around the corner. He can handle the stronger defensive linemen, which makes him a prime RT candidate.

As for Smith, I'll give him one more shot at RT while we look for a reliable backup on that side along with restructuring his deal. RTs can be easily found in later draft rounds or FA. Bell is most certainly done unless we get Fisher as a coach and he might consider reviving his career (note the connection at Tennessee). Jason Brown also needs to restructure his deal if he's going back to guard while I support the idea of drafting a Center in the 2nd or 3rd round.
    As for Smith it's more then just giving him a shot he has had two years where he has missed time a lot of time due to being concussed. Bell is done for sure and Brown has been benched he may get it together but he has not played well for the Rams.

I do think getting Blackmon with the #2 overall pick is considered a reach but ENOUGH is ENOUGH when we lack playmaking weapons at receiving, we need a damn receiver that can grow with Bradford and if you want to complain about our O-line woes, horrible receiver play should ALSO be held accountable for victimizing Bradford with the sacks. You know our receiving corps is REALLY bad when 1-on-1 coverage MINUS Lloyd are all it takes to beat them while everyone else on defense can happily blitz till Kingdom Come.
    I also think Blackmon would be to high at the number two... if we could move back and get another pick and draft Blackmon I would support that move. There are a lot of big name FA WR this year and we have the cap space to get one if we wanted to go that route. Again no one is saying that I read on this board we don't need a true number one WR, it's obvious.

When it comes to building a great offense line it improves the whole team not just the passing game. Time of possession helps the defense, short yardage situations converting third and short, pound the rock inside the redzone for TD's. Protection Bradford so he does not miss games. Open holes for SJax and I hope our future back. All the WR become better with more time to get separation.

The good news is we will fill one of these needs with a great player soon.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-02-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

I like Blackmon, but not at no.2. If we stay at 2 i think we should go for Kalil. On a sidenote, im not doubting his talent, but does anyone else when looking at Kalil think he looks really skinny, his arms dont look very muscular.

Anyway, moving on, Kalil would be a nice addition to an o-line that needs new talent. We could switch Saffold over to the right, have Kalil at left tackle, and have Smith on the inside. Or, if we find some gems in fa, or the draft i wouldnt be opposed to putting Kalil at lt, Saffold at lg, new center, Dahl at rg, and a new rt. Something to be thought about...

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Blackmon, I get the chance to watch him live, for the first time tonight. I know what you mean Bing69 about Kalil's size, and weight. Hopefully Kalil has the ability to add muscle in the future. Mainly because Im sick and tired of seeing Rams lineman, who fail to get any push in the run game, in short yardage and red zone offense.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -01-02-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    Bing69 likes this.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I have been the greatest Blackmon advocate but now im starting to come around to Matt Kalil...Let me start by saying Blackmon is worthy of the #2 pick he is one of the most consistent WR i have ever seen and have read his work ethic is phenomenal all the makings for a franchise #1 WR...

But here is how i see it with spags and Billy D officially gone our new regime is not held accountable for the high draft picks we spent on them neither do they have to consider Saffolds rookie year...Bradford is our franchise QB with his contract and our new regime needs to figure out if Saffold is the guy they want protecting his blind side or if the cant miss LT talent in Kalil is their guy...

At this point here is what i see if we take Kalil we improve our LT...WHich will move Saffold to RT which will improve our RT position...and move Dahl back to RG which will is an improvement vs. Jason Brown...Then Jason Smith vs. Jacob Bell can be a toss up but i feel smith has more talent than Bell...

SO Kalil will create a domino affect of the entire O-line which will give Bradford more time and jackson more holes...if bradford has more time his receivers have more time to get open and force the D to rush another defender instead of keeping that defender in coverage

I guess what this all adds up to is Kalil can make just as big an impact on our Offense than a playmaker can

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

BLACKMON Mania Baby

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345