Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Justin Blackmon is not worth #2

macrammer is offline Registered User

Re: Justin Blackmon is not worth #2

I have not witnessed this kid all year but watching this game tonight....he is a gamebreaker. Wow.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I never said Blackmon isn't a number one receiver or a great player. Im just saying he is the 5th best player in the draft and not as good as WRs drafted lower or the same place in recent years.

Ive wached this whole game and I will be the first to admit Blackmon has been a beast and as of now I would hop him over Claiborne on my board and he is a very close number to Kalil in the non QB board. If he runs anywhere in the 4.4s and has a good offseason I would probably move him over Kalil.

My main point was he is not the second best player in the draft he is currently changing my mind and could continue to do so in the future.

A negative I have from tonights performance is Stanford playing way off Blackmon and the slant has been wide open and for him and once he gets ball he is a beast and not many college DBs can tackle him. He wont get that in the NFL worries me a little but he strong enough and good enough route runner to overcome press coverage.

jackson3909 is offline Registered User

8 catches 186 yards 3 TD's, huge catch and run on a critical 4th and 3 where he stiff-armed a defender to the ground while spinning in route to OSU improbable win over Luck.. He has "it" shows up for the biggest game of his career and was very vocal on the sidelines to his teammates and showed emotion something that has lacked from on our offense aside from Jackson
    While I don't think a WR should be drafted so high it makes the most sense. If we can't trade down which i hope we can do still.
    Bottom line we need a playmaker for our franchise QB and he is the best one

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

If the Rams stay at #2, I believe they should take Kalil because he provides better value and has more potential for growth at the next level. However, should the Rams get offered an intriguing deal to trade down with a team looking to land RG3 (either the Browns or Redskins), they could land at #4 and #6 and still conceivably land Blackmon. Here's how it could look in both scenarios:

Colts - Andrew Luck
    Browns - RG3
    Vikings - Matt Kalil
    Rams - Justin Blackmon

Colts - Andrew Luck
    Redskins - RG3
    Vikings - Matt Kalil
    Browns - Trent Richardson
    Bucs - Morris Claiborne
    Rams - Justin Blackmon

They pick ahead of the WR needy Jaguars in both, so that shouldn't be a problem assuming the chips fall the way they want. Basically, I'd prefer Kalil if we stayed at #2 but wouldn't be opposed to drafting Blackmon. I'd just rather have him in a trade down scenario. Plus the extra picks we collect as a result? Beautiful.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

this is exactly the kind of nonsense I've been dealing with on this board for years and I'm sick of it!

When a player like this comes along, and SIGNIFICANTLY is an upgrade at your position, YOU TAKE HIM! I don't care if its a reach, or whatever bs. You can never have enough playmakers truth be told. As far as the Rams board is, no he isn't not #2, HE'S NUMBER FREAKING 1! I've wanted him all season long, and next year I want Marcus Lattimore too!!! Like I said in another post, now is not the time to get cute, take him with the pick and that's the end of it. Grrrr.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

Btw, guess who was listed as #1 on the rams board in '99. Torry Holt! Blackmon is #1 on this years board, 'nuff said. Get over it.

RamSoup is offline Registered User

And on top of being a stud on the field, he seems to be a high character guy off the field as well.. double whammy!!imo, we shouldnt even try and trade down in case someone snags him up, how do we know tampa or minn doesnt want him,lets not take a chance..
    LongBlood likes this.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

1) Love Blackmon, but can a Sooners quarterback throw to a Cowpoke receiver? I smell sitcom.
    2) Every draft is different. Some years, you might have five guys who are all better than the #1 overall pick the year before. The question isn't whether we would have taken him ahead or behind another guy in another year. It's whether he's the best option for this team this year. If you're comparing him to Kalil and Claiborne, the ultimate question is which one of these guys is going to help us win the most games?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    It's whether he's the best option for this team this year. If you're comparing him to Kalil and Claiborne, the ultimate question is which one of these guys is going to help us win the most games?
    Asking that question, it's got to be Blackmon.

Sure Kalil will help, but he is only 1/5th of the offensive line. Even if he has a great rookie year, if the rest of the line cannot block, Bradford will still be in trouble, and he will have no targets to throw to.

Claiborne would be a beast for our defense, but he won't make our offense score any more points, something we desperately need.
    Flippin' Ram and Jd_UK like this.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamSoup View Post
    And on top of being a stud on the field, he seems to be a high character guy off the field as well.. double whammy!!imo, we shouldnt even try and trade down in case someone snags him up, how do we know tampa or minn doesnt want him,lets not take a chance..
    The jags can trade up and nab him, idk the vikings needs but wr could be on the list since rice lefted, and if the browns dont get rg3 a wr could be on their wishlist also. I want him and if he went pro last year he or julio woulda been a ram this year. I say only trade down if its an offer we cant refuse, like a blockbuster trade.
    RamSoup likes this.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Asking that question, it's got to be Blackmon.

Sure Kalil will help, but he is only 1/5th of the offensive line. Even if he has a great rookie year, if the rest of the line cannot block, Bradford will still be in trouble, and he will have no targets to throw to.
    Using that logic, Blackmon will be only 1/3rd or 1/4th (depending how many WRs we have on the field) of the WRs that can separate and get open, or at least we hope he will. That means that defenses will key on him and Sam still won't find an open target to throw to.

See how easy that is?

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

In terms of the "knock" on his size...

The two greatest receivers in the history of the Rams (Ike and Big Game) were actually shorter than Blackmon.

Ike + Big Game are both 6 flat; Blakmon is 6-1.

So yeah, you do the math. His size is fine.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Using that logic, Blackmon will be only 1/3rd or 1/4th (depending how many WRs we have on the field) of the WRs that can separate and get open, or at least we hope he will. That means that defenses will key on him and Sam still won't find an open target to throw to.

See how easy that is?
    Sorry but in the case of WRs, it doesn't work for that. You can't mock my logic if your rebuttal doesn't make sense.

With Kalil, you fix the LT spot. Great. What happens then? Opposing defenses start sending blitzes to the other side of the line, picking on the weak spot, thus dampening Kalil's importance. People immediately love to predict that Saffold will be a HOF RT, which doesn't make sense because if he can't even handle the bull rush of speed rushers, how will we handle the bull rush of bigger LEs? Kalil can't block 3 guys. He can't run from end to end trying to block people.

That's why you see teams with great LTs struggling, like the Browns. They have a stud LT, but no gamechanging WRs and a mediocre QB. It doesn't matter how good the LT is, he's not the one throwing the ball or catching it.

Then you see teams with shifting o-linemen, with questionable gelling and no real studs on the line like the Giants. However, they're currently competing in the playoffs because they have a QB with good awareness and mobility, and great targets for him to throw too (Cruz, Nicks, Manningham).

However with Blackmon, you are combining him with Salas, Amendola, and most likely Lloyd and/or another FA WR. In contrast to Kalil, if Blackmon is legitimate, he will DRAW double teams, not draw double teams to the other side of the field.

In this thinking, Amendola and Salas and Lloyd/FA WR have incredible opportunities for single coverage. Blackmon is good enough to pick apart double coverages anyways.

I'd also like to add that a player who is 1/3 of a unit will probably make more of a direct and immediate impact than say, a player who is 1/5 of a unit.
    Last edited by RockinRam; -01-03-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    THOLTFAN81 and RamSoup like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Sorry but in the case of WRs, it doesn't work for that. You can't mock my logic if your rebuttal doesn't make sense.

With Kalil, you fix the LT spot. Great. What happens then? Opposing defenses start sending blitzes to the other side of the line, picking on the weak spot, thus dampening Kalil's importance. People immediately love to predict that Saffold will be a HOF RT, which doesn't make sense because if he can't even handle the bull rush of speed rushers, how will we handle the bull rush of bigger LEs? Kalil can't block 3 guys. He can't run from end to end trying to block people.

That's why you see teams with great LTs struggling, like the Browns. They have a stud LT, but no gamechanging WRs and a mediocre QB. It doesn't matter how good the LT is, he's not the one throwing the ball or catching it.

Then you see teams with shifting o-linemen, with questionable gelling and no real studs on the line like the Giants. However, they're currently competing in the playoffs because they have a QB with good awareness and mobility, and great targets for him to throw too (Cruz, Nicks, Manningham).

However with Blackmon, you are combining him with Salas, Amendola, and most likely Lloyd and/or another FA WR. In contrast to Kalil, if Blackmon is legitimate, he will DRAW double teams, not draw double teams to the other side of the field.

In this thinking, Amendola and Salas and Lloyd/FA WR have incredible opportunities for single coverage. Blackmon is good enough to pick apart double coverages anyways.

I'd also like to add that a player who is 1/3 of a unit will probably make more of a direct and immediate impact than say, a player who is 1/5 of a unit.
    Everything is exactly true, except the last part. "In this thinking, Amendola and Salas and Lloyd/FA WR have incredible opportunities for single coverage." The only person who has been double covered is Lloyd, and that game he was completely shut out. Sure they'll let Amendola and Salas have their 4 yard gains, you make it sound much better than it really is.

"
    Blackmon is good enough to pick apart double coverages anyways." I guarantee if Blackmon gets double teamed, he will get shutout. A rookie WR that beats double teams? Yeah right, Brandon Lloyd cant even do that and hes been in the league for 8 years.

Anyways, I do agree with grabbing Blackmon. There are tons of teams with shifting offensive lines like you said that are and have made it somewhere, because they game playmakers. The Bears are an example too. Downright worst offensive line in the NFL, and were definitely on track to make the playoffs when they had Jay Cutler.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Its just a shame we have to keep having this conversation. When is the last time a lineman caught the ball and took it 90 yards to the house. We need to score more then a touchdown per game next year. It dosen't matter that we take Blackmon #2 overall. Fact is we need him more and he is a game breaker. I'm so tired of this lineman talk.... Wake Up!
    Tampa_Ram and LongBlood like this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast