Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Justin Blackmon is not worth #2

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Re: Justin Blackmon is not worth #2

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    Its just a shame we have to keep having this conversation. When is the last time a lineman caught the ball and took it 90 yards to the house. We need to score more then a touchdown per game next year. It dosen't matter that we take Blackmon #2 overall. Fact is we need him more and he is a game breaker. I'm so tired of this lineman talk.... Wake Up!
    I think it was a patriots lineman last year that picked up a kickoff and returned it about 70yds, lol. But Im tired of the linemen talk too. just last year saffold was the man at LT and he was a rookie. last year sam was offensive rookie of the year. The recievers dropped ball after ball after ball! An all pro LT with saffold at RT wouldnt have won us an extra game or 2 but anyone that coulda held on to a pass would have. What dont you linemen lovers see in this? The common denominator is coaching. We just need to hire one of the best OL coaches and plug the holes at lg, and maybe c and rt pending browns and smiths return. Draft blackmon hopefully lloyd comes back and pickup a speedy/shifty 2nd rb that can return kicks and we have something!
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Harry S. Truman is offline Registered User

He may be 6'1, but he more than compensates for his size with the unteachable intangibles.

Route running wise, you could have stuck him on the Rams in week 1 THIS year and he would have immediately been the best route runner in the team, and one of the top 10 route runners in the league. His skills in this avenue are as fluid as anyone I've seen hit the draft in quite some time, and I'm not one to exaggerate by any means. He's that good.

His hands and ability to catch the football are also NFL ready. He'll never beat you in a foot race, but he's got speed to seperate with the best of them, and his bread and butter will be this afforementioned trio of skills.

Truth honestly be told, I don't give a rat's behind if it's Blackmon or Kalil. I think both will be exceptional NFLers, both have that potential to make the Rams better. The more I think it over, the more I'd rather see Blackmon and have the Rams go out and sign Carl Nicks to play guard, but I'm not going to frown at either.

I WILL say this.. In a game that featured what very well could be three top ten picks, Blackmon was the best player on the field last night, and in my opinion by a pretty healthy margin.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    this is exactly the kind of nonsense I've been dealing with on this board for years and I'm sick of it!

When a player like this comes along, and SIGNIFICANTLY is an upgrade at your position, YOU TAKE HIM! I don't care if its a reach, or whatever bs. You can never have enough playmakers truth be told. As far as the Rams board is, no he isn't not #2, HE'S NUMBER FREAKING 1! I've wanted him all season long, and next year I want Marcus Lattimore too!!! Like I said in another post, now is not the time to get cute, take him with the pick and that's the end of it. Grrrr.
    Haha.

You know, money, rookie caps, rookie rankings an whatever else we throw into the mix-- the bottom line is this:

Very successful people in this world take risks. Risks are associalted with peaks and valley type rewards, so you are either out a lot, or you reap more than you had sewn.

Where do we want to be?

Im going with the risk. There's Olineman out there than can fill the gaps successfully as demonstrated by the 6 division champions this year and the wild card teams. We simply need coaches that can motivate and instill pride in their players.

Major30 is offline Registered User

After seeing Blackmon's performance, my heart is telling me take him with the second pick. It is easy to get excited cause his awesome performance is still fresh in my mind, but my head still remembers Matt Barkley passing for 423 yards and 6 touchdowns on UCLA without getting his uniform dirty...thanks in large part to Kalil. Personally, I like the dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by Major30 View Post
    After seeing Blackmon's performance, my heart is telling me take him with the second pick. It is easy to get excited cause his awesome performance is still fresh in my mind, but my head still remembers Matt Barkley passing for 423 yards and 6 touchdowns on UCLA without getting his uniform dirty...thanks in large part to Kalil. Personally, I like the dilemma.
    Your answer is self serving, the factthat they played UCLA sums it all up.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Haha.

You know, money, rookie caps, rookie rankings an whatever else we throw into the mix-- the bottom line is this:

Very successful people in this world take risks. Risks are associalted with peaks and valley type rewards, so you are either out a lot, or you reap more than you had sewn.

Where do we want to be?

Im going with the risk. There's Olineman out there than can fill the gaps successfully as demonstrated by the 6 division champions this year and the wild card teams. We simply need coaches that can motivate and instill pride in their players.
    LMAO! Really, do you know who you are talking to at all??? I'm the guy that was screaming NOT to take Jason Smith, when EVERYONE else was saying that we had to because of the money. I wanted a playmaker, and have been screaming for one for what, 4 yrs now. I'm not one to focus on the money, but on the player that will have the biggest impact on the game/team, and then that player justifies the money they are paid in the slot they are taken. Hell, I was screaming in that draft that we should draft a right tackle in the third round!!! Don't believe me, ask ANYONE that remembers me. If we got a playmaker in that draft then I would have been pro taking Bradford the following you (after all we knew that he was going to be coming out the following yr, and playmakers tend to take 2-3 yrs to develop vs o-linemen who are pretty much golden from week 1).

Personally I love the USC tackle, I think he is a no brainer as being a future pro bowler, but after already spending a 1st and 2nd rounder in the past couple yrs on the o-line and NOT getting a legit playmaker, sorry. It's time to get Blackmon and quit throwing good money (draft picks) after bad (SMITH!!!)

I've been screaming for "risk" for years vs all these so called "smart insiders" that "run this board". I'd have rather taken a swing and miss on a playmakers yrs ago and taken a right tackle in the third than play it safe and get that piece of crap Smith. There's been some players drafted that I have liked, Long obviously, James L, and Robert Quinn. I said I would've like Bradford if we had some playmakers in place for him, and that why I said, and still maintain that Suh (atleast at the time was the better pick for the team, if we get Blackmon then maybe Bradford will be vindicated...though it would always be debate if Suh with a veteran QB and Blackmon would be more devastating).

I'm also the guy that said I wasn't a fan of the Lance Kendricks pick, but I did understand it. The fact remained though that there were far too many other glaring needs that should've been addressed, and it was just another example of Billy D not doing what was immediately best for the team, and in turn set the team back several years. Its still too soon for Kendricks and IMO it looks like he might go the Vernon Davis route and take a few yrs to develop. But right now I'm distraught after watching the news and just seen that a 23 yr old was sexual attacked last night merely 2 blocks away from my house. I'm sorry, I'm freaking distraught and want to whoop some ass.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

TS is full of it if he thinks Bryant was a better prospect than Blackmon. Just look at how OSU fans feel about that. Bryant is thought of as the best receiver in OSU history and I haven't heard more than a handful who believe otherwise.

What's funny is you don't provide facts, stats or analysis to say why he's not deserving of the pick. Instead you base everything on your opinion. So if it comes down to your opinion or NFL scouts, NFL coaches, and the NCAA coaches who coach Blackmon and coach against him for some reason I'll take their opinion other yours.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

The word I keep hearing is need. Thats not how you draft especially with a team that seriously lacks tallent. if we think Blackmon is the 2nd best non QB in the draft then fine. If you dont think that, then we cant reach simply because we have taken lineman who have flopped and we need a playmaker. You think Kalil or even Claiborne is better prospect you take them point blank.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    The word I keep hearing is need. Thats not how you draft especially with a team that seriously lacks tallent. if we think Blackmon is the 2nd best non QB in the draft then fine. If you dont think that, then we cant reach simply because we have taken lineman who have flopped and we need a playmaker. You think Kalil or even Claiborne is better prospect you take them point blank.
    Fortunately, one could argue both OT and CB are needs as well. Frankly, when you're 10-38 over three years, you've got a lot of needs.

However, it all depends on what you define as a reach. So let's speculate. The Rams are picking second overall. If Blackmon grades out as the fifth best player in this class, do you consider him a reach? I personally wouldn't.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Everything is exactly true, except the last part. "In this thinking, Amendola and Salas and Lloyd/FA WR have incredible opportunities for single coverage." The only person who has been double covered is Lloyd, and that game he was completely shut out. Sure they'll let Amendola and Salas have their 4 yard gains, you make it sound much better than it really is.

"
    Blackmon is good enough to pick apart double coverages anyways." I guarantee if Blackmon gets double teamed, he will get shutout. A rookie WR that beats double teams? Yeah right, Brandon Lloyd cant even do that and hes been in the league for 8 years.

Anyways, I do agree with grabbing Blackmon. There are tons of teams with shifting offensive lines like you said that are and have made it somewhere, because they game playmakers. The Bears are an example too. Downright worst offensive line in the NFL, and were definitely on track to make the playoffs when they had Jay Cutler.

Lloyd can beat double teams...if he wants to. He has the ability to. Did it last year. However, I got the notion that when double teamed for long periods of time this year, he didn't give it his all. Lloyd has actually been triple covered many times this season.

With Blackmon, I feel he can beat double teams. Why not? A.J Green did it this year. Julio Jones did also.

And you're making it seem worse than it really is. Amendola and Salas can only gain 4 yards on single man coverage? If that's the case, we better release both of them next year.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Back to the original point, Best Player Available means you don't take a guy like Blackmon if you are forcing a need when there are better players available. Whether or not Blackmon is worthy of the #2 pick or not isn't for me to decide but it is VERY relevant in the long term performance of the Rams.

If Blackmon is a talent that would normally go in the middle of the first round, if you take him with the 2nd pick it's idiotic. Regardless of need, you take the player with the greatest NFL draft grade.

Performance in college isn't how you pick an NFL player. There are countless great college players who offered nothing as far as NFL talent. Let's see how the guy runs his 40 yard dash and cone drills because the Rams make a choice.
    39thebeast and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

How bout for the sake of argument lets just forget completely about need vs. BPA

Looking at all the talent (including IR) on the team which player (excluding Andrew Luck) will help us the most in the future?

In no particular order there are 4 players that it turns out to be and ironically 3 of them are our biggest need:

Trent Richardson
    Morris Claiborne
    Justin Blackmon
    Matt Kalil

Each of them would come in to replace a proven starter (Jackson, Bartell and Saffold have proved they are worthy starters at their respected positions in the past, Brandon Lloyd showed it this season but he doesnt have a contract)

I am going to be honest guys i am completely torn between Kalil and Blackmon...but if i had a gun to my head i would say blackmon

Also one more question for the OP what is it about Blackmon as a prospect that you think he is not worthy of a high pick (and dont give previous draft BS)...Also what about Kalil makes you think he is sure fire (for OL i think measurements esp. arm length are vital and he hasnt been measured yet)

Major30 is offline Registered User

Am also, torn between Blackmon and Kalil. I was following Blackmon closely last year and was hoping he would fall to us , but he opted to return to school. I also remember we were a pick away from having Jake Long, who I read Kalil is being compared to. Do we think Bradford and the passing game needs better protection or receivers that get open quicker and make the catches?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I can respect the statement "Blackmon is not the best choice for the No. 2 pick" (though I disagree with it).

I can't understand how anyone could say that "Blackmon is not worth the No. 2 pick." He grades out as an elite WR prospect. If his production matches his rating, he is clearly worth taking at No. 2.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    LMAO! Really, do you know who you are talking to at all??? I'm the guy that was screaming NOT to take Jason Smith, when EVERYONE else was saying that we had to because of the money. I wanted a playmaker, and have been screaming for one for what, 4 yrs now. I'm not one to focus on the money, but on the player that will have the biggest impact on the game/team, and then that player justifies the money they are paid in the slot they are taken. Hell, I was screaming in that draft that we should draft a right tackle in the third round!!! Don't believe me, ask ANYONE that remembers me. If we got a playmaker in that draft then I would have been pro taking Bradford the following you (after all we knew that he was going to be coming out the following yr, and playmakers tend to take 2-3 yrs to develop vs o-linemen who are pretty much golden from week 1).

Personally I love the USC tackle, I think he is a no brainer as being a future pro bowler, but after already spending a 1st and 2nd rounder in the past couple yrs on the o-line and NOT getting a legit playmaker, sorry. It's time to get Blackmon and quit throwing good money (draft picks) after bad (SMITH!!!)

I've been screaming for "risk" for years vs all these so called "smart insiders" that "run this board". I'd have rather taken a swing and miss on a playmakers yrs ago and taken a right tackle in the third than play it safe and get that piece of crap Smith. There's been some players drafted that I have liked, Long obviously, James L, and Robert Quinn. I said I would've like Bradford if we had some playmakers in place for him, and that why I said, and still maintain that Suh (atleast at the time was the better pick for the team, if we get Blackmon then maybe Bradford will be vindicated...though it would always be debate if Suh with a veteran QB and Blackmon would be more devastating).

I'm also the guy that said I wasn't a fan of the Lance Kendricks pick, but I did understand it. The fact remained though that there were far too many other glaring needs that should've been addressed, and it was just another example of Billy D not doing what was immediately best for the team, and in turn set the team back several years. Its still too soon for Kendricks and IMO it looks like he might go the Vernon Davis route and take a few yrs to develop. But right now I'm distraught after watching the news and just seen that a 23 yr old was sexual attacked last night merely 2 blocks away from my house. I'm sorry, I'm freaking distraught and want to whoop some ass.
    1stly- if you look at many of my posts here-- Im very critical of plast Rams drafts. I feel that a large chunk of what's going on with the Rams is the way they have drafted.

2ndly- much of what you have posted here I do agree with and advocated back then IE no Smith, crazy that we drafted Kendricks, Pettis, Salas, upset that we drafted tons of CBs and TE prior to them, and Im still in the mind set that Suh should have been our pick.

3rdly- Im pro Blackmon

Lastly- Im anti Kalil for this draft. So my reply to Barkley having a clean shirt vs UCLA means that that example isnt sound because it was UCLA. We can find a good Olineman later, skill guys are harder to get.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast