Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Justin Blackmon's skills have diminished in recent weeks.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Justin Blackmon's skills have diminished in recent weeks.

It seems that Justin Blackmon's days as a top NFL WR are over before they began. While he once was a Blue Chip prospect, he now is little more than a question mark. In recent weeks, his ability to get open has diminished, and he has not had any dominant performances of late. As scouts use high definition slow motion technology to view his game films, they have noticed that he looks slow, as does his competition. He is also shinking, and now is merely a 6'0 tall "undersized" WR. As a result, it is no surprise that the highly reliable anonymous sources of several bloggers have reported that the Rams' interest in Blackmon is minimal. Given the Rams' need at WR, it is unfortunate that the Rams were not able to draft Blackmon back when he was a premium prospect.

Footnote: I don't know who the Rams will take any more than any other fan out there. For all I know, they will pass on Blackmon and take someone who I would not consider at the sixth spot. But I do know one thing: the bloggers, Twitterdorks, and Bleacher Report wanna-be's of the world also know nothing. Sure, they may claim to have sources or to be "hearing" things, but none of them are privy to the real decisionmakers' thoughts. In fact, they may be the tools of carefully orchestrated smokescreens (or, alternatively, they may be lying tools who are using the anonymity of "sources" to garner attention). In the end, we're all just speculating based upon tidbits of information and logic. In less than two weeks... we'll KNOW.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-16-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    THOLTFAN81 and berg8309 like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Justin Blackmon's skills have diminished in recent weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As scouts use high definition slow motion technology to view his game films, they have noticed that he looks slow, as does his competition.
    Probably my favorite line, well done!

berg8309 is offline Registered User

And at the end of the day, there is a reason none of us work in the industry, we are all just guessing. Maybe educated guessing, but still, we can't devote the time and energy that people who do it for a living can. Not that those people always gets it right, but if they don't, they generally don't last long either.

One thing most people forget is that we don't get the whole field camera to evaluate prospects, and NFL teams do. That whole field camera is especially important to evaluate WRs and CBs who often disappear off the screen during normal TV until if and when the ball is thrown to them. That view lets you see how often they are really getting open and what they do when the ball isn't thrown their way, very important for evaluation, but something the regular fan never gets to see.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    In fact, they may be the tools of carefully orchestrated smokescreens (or, alternatively, they may be lying tools who are using the anonymity of "sources" to garner attention).
    Exactly. If anyone thinks teams are giving away any legitimate information about what they plan on doing in the draft, they're delusional. When it comes to the NFL Draft, there is no bigger shell game.

richtree is offline Registered User

Here is a hypothetical situation --- Let's say Blackmon was not in this draft at all......

Draft goes: Luck, RG3, Khalil, Richardson, Claiborne

Would Floyd be our pick at #4 ?????? Why or why not? ---- Does the value of pick #6 along with our draft spot make the WR postion the obvious choice ?

I think if Blackmon was not in this draft Floyd would be #6 pick as well...Tannehill, Floyd, and Poe maybe Coples and Ingram are impact players but I think Wide Receiver has a bigger impact in the NEW NFL rules especially with the Jags, Phins, Panthers, and Bills all needing WR in the next 4 picks....

Pick #6 is WR and Blackmon is rated higher than Floyd so that is our choice....

If Blackmon is gone then Richardson vs. Floyd (edge Richardson) -- or --

Claiborne vs. Floyd (edge Floyd) <-- this would be interesting scenario if Blackmon goes #4 and Richardson #5 , Floyd may be the pick over Claiborne because of the ability to get a complimentary Cornerback at the top of Round 2 --- This scenario could also get Poe into play and we would probably want to trade out of this spot.....

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

This is why if I was ever a GM I would demand my big board be finalized by the first week of April and move no player up or down unless he has an immediate off the field issue like an arrest. Hype should never be used to drive a player up the rankings in the last couple of weeks before the draft. I feel like that's the case for 1 DE a year and they are drafted way too early and ultimately become a bust like Jamaal Anderson, Aaron Maybin, Derrick Harvey, etc.

With all that being said, I hope the Rams draft Blackmon

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Claiborne vs. Floyd (edge Floyd)
    Personally, I completely disagree. Claiborne is a better CB than Blackmon is WR. So, he's certainly better than the lesser Floyd.
    THOLTFAN81 and Rammed like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

As much as I really like Blackmon as a prospect, I'm starting lean more towards nabbing Floyd at #6. While Blackmon has better talent coming into the draft, Floyd has the higher ceiling. I would compare Blackmon to a faster Boldin and Floyd to a poor man's Fitzgerald. If we can find a complementary deep threat receiver (Edwards, Simpson) in the FA, I'd understand drafting Blackmon at #6 but if don't address our issue of finding a receiver specified for the deep threat department, Floyd should be our choice IMO.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Actually, i think what has transpired is that Blackmon's skills have somehow been transferred to tannehill, who has somehow "vaulted" up the alleged boards to the extent that people think miami may actually trade up to #3 to get him (which i will believe when i see). The media hype around the draft is a fundementally great thing for the league (look how many fans are involved in the nfl day and night in the middle of the offseason), but it certainly brings all of the wombats out of the closet moving guys mysteriously up and down their boards based on the latest rumour and innuendo, notwithingstanding the fact that NONE of the players has played in an actual game in four months. One thing we know for sure. The tape is what it is and has not changed for any of these guys.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RebelYell is offline Registered User

When he said he was running at the combine, people said he needed to run faster than a 4.5. He refused to run.

At the combine Kendall Wright ran roughly a 4.61.
    At his pro-day he ran a 4.43

If Wright was able to cut .18, let's say Blackmon cut his 40x by .09. That means at the combine he ran a comparable 4.52. Unless you refuse to accept any adjustments for a player picking the venue, Blackmon showed he doesn't have elite speed. A saw a scout say his speed didn't matter because the tape showed he's a 4.50 running all day on the field. A 4.50 runner isn't elite.

You can't pick a WR just because you need a WR. You have to pick the best player available.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    When he said he was running at the combine, people said he needed to run faster than a 4.5. He refused to run.

If Wright was able to cut .18, let's say Blackmon cut his 40x by .09. That means at the combine he ran a comparable 4.52. Unless you refuse to accept any adjustments for a player picking the venue, Blackmon showed he doesn't have elite speed. A saw a scout say his speed didn't matter because the tape showed he's a 4.50 running all day on the field. A 4.50 runner isn't elite.

You can't pick a WR just because you need a WR. You have to pick the best player available.
    Then shouldn't you pick the BEST player available rather than the FASTEST RUNNING WITHOUT PADS FOR FORTY YARDS IN A STRAIGHT LINE player available? (The FRWPFFYIASLPA).
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Well said Av on the speed issue. Not directed at anyone in particular, but some of our younger folks might want to check out the 40 yard dash times of jerry rice and skeets nehamiah before getting so obsessed with combine related workout warrior type information.

The best line of all in this area came from brian billick of all people. Terrell Suggs dropped to #9 (i believe) because he had gained some muscle weight in the offseason approaching the combine and people thought it was going to slow him down. His 40 time was slow, much slower than people thought it was going to be. When the Ravens took Suggs at #9 on draft day, Billick was asked whether he was worried about the slow 40 time that Suggs had run. Billicks response (an all time classic) "When quarterbacks drop back 40 yards to pass i will worry about his 40 time." Same general point here. Receivers do not run 40 yards in a straight line without pads very often and while they certainly do so more than defensive ends, the guys that run the fastest do not necessary make the best overall receivers (again, see the time for jerry rice).

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

This is part of the reason I hate the combine. People get bent out of shape over a few hundreths of a second. I know the game of football is fast, but I guarantee you that a player reaching the 40 yard mark 1/25th of a second faster is not the difference between a hall of fame career and a #3 WR. And I think most people are well aware of the fact that 40 times do not translate to actual game speed.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Claiborne vs. Floyd (edge Floyd)

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post

A couple of notes...

-I'm not sure anyone is arguing that Blackmon has "elite" speed. But if that was the be all and end all of the discussion, then the Rams' need at the position wouldn't be as great because Donnie Avery would have just signed his $10 million per season contract extension as one of the best in the league.

-Your choice to use Wright as an example was an interesting one, since he was expected to run much faster at the Combine and most believe that his pro day numbers were more representative of what you see on film when you watch him play. Point being, the Combine forty number isn't always the most accurate measurement.

-When Blackmon chose not to run at the Combine, people said he needed to run faster than a 4.5 at his pro day to ease concerns about his speed. He did just that, and yet for some reason, these questions are still coming up...

-I agree that you can't pick a WR just because you need a WR, and have to choose from the best players available. Of course, that's what the Rams are doing by considering Blackmon. It's not like we're talking about the Rams taking Stephen Hill sixth overall. We're talking about the Rams taking a guy who is in the discussion for Minnesota @ 3, Cleveland @ 4, was very much in the discussion for Tampa @ 5 before they signed Vincent Jackson, and will definitely be in the discussion for Jacksonville and Miami @ 7 and 8 respectively. The "reaching for need" argument doesn't really apply when you're talking about a prospect that is widely considered not only a Top Ten prospect but an option in the first five picks.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    This is part of the reason I hate the combine. People get bent out of shape over a few hundreths of a second. I know the game of football is fast, but I guarantee you that a player reaching the 40 yard mark 1/25th of a second faster is not the difference between a hall of fame career and a #3 WR. And I think most people are well aware of the fact that 40 times do not translate to actual game speed.
    Forty times are a great piece of information, but that's it - they're a piece. The people who think you live and die by them and hold them up as the most important piece of the evaluation process are really missing the point. A forty time should either (1) support what you've seen on film, or (2) cause you to go back and take another look at the film to reevaluate. A forty time should not be THE evaluation, but for some, that's what they base their opinions on.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    -Your choice to use Wright as an example was an interesting one, since he was expected to run much faster at the Combine and most believe that his pro day numbers were more representative of what you see on film when you watch him play. Point being, the Combine forty number isn't always the most accurate measurement.
    When you are comparing people, it's about having a COMPARABLE number. I don't understand why people have a difficult time understanding this. Maybe next time Blackmon should choose a track that is sloped downhill, he may end up being the fastest guy in the NFL before it's all done.

People say you can't compare him to other WRs previously drafted because it's unfair. Guess what, he'll be compared every week for the rest of his career. Get used to it.

Forty times aren't the end of any evaluation but it's an important guide in a speed dominated league. If speed doesn't matter, did you watch Peterson return those punts last year for the 9ers? How about Smith of the Ravens? Make those guys 4.5 runners, do you really think they are making those contributions? Of course they would, speed doesn't matter. Just ask Chris Johnson.

People didn't say Blackmon needed to run a 4.5 at his Pro-Day. They said he needed to run a 4.5 at the combine. Fans refused to see the difference. I'm doubting NFL scouts rewarded him without noting the difference.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -04-16-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast