Thread: Justin Smith

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Lightbulb Justin Smith

Would you sign Justin Smith? Even though he is coming of his worst year with only 2 sacks he has been good every other year with virtually no one else with him on the line. He is a great strong side DE to compliment Little and will have allot help with Carriker and Ryan. You would have to shell out some change not Jared Allen money, but he is worth a good amount. You keep Carriker where he is, you get a guy to compliment Little, gives an end opposite Carriker when you run the 3-4, get a proven player similar to Chris Long (who the Dolphins might take anyways) without using a first round pick, and he allows you to trade down for more picks and possibly get a guy like Kenny Phillips or stay put and get Jake Long.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Justin Smith

I like your thinking, but I still don't think Jake Long is what we're looking for. No offense to you JL fans out there. =/

But we could trade down and still get Ellis or Phillips. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a back up seeming how Little had a bad season. We could throw in an ok back up. I think it might work out in the end.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I liked Smith a lot better when we didn't have Hall and Adeyanju on the roster and Little still looked like he would get it done on the field. We need a guy who can really get to the passer and Smith, as nice a player as he is, just isn't that guy. He's more like a bigger Grant Wistrom.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

If you want a free agent DE, why not get Suggs instead of Justin Smith?

The new director of Pro Player Personnel basically made it obvious the Rams aren't looking at an OT. He made it perfectly clear that at the #2 position, you don't draft someone who might be starting half way through the season. At this point, Jake Long isn't beating Barron or Pace.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -02-12-2008 at 01:04 AM.

I was just suggesting Long as an option im personally more for trading down and getting Philips. Secondly Smith is a more likely option because Sugss will most likely get franchised. Does anyone else hate the franchise tag

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Smith, I could definately go for. He and Charles Grant really underperformed this year. Smith is more of a proven pass rusher, but is still quite stout against the run, and is realatively young. I'd sign him for the right amount.

I'd probably be more inclined to throw tons of money at Jared Allen or Terrell Suggs; neither will be released though due to the Franchise tag.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    If you want a free agent DE, why not get Suggs instead of Justin Smith?
    Suggs is going to be tagged.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    The new director of Pro Player Personnel basically made it obvious the Rams aren't looking at an OT. He made it perfectly clear that at the #2 position, you don't draft someone who might be starting half way through the season. At this point, Jake Long isn't beating Barron or Pace.
    Can you (or someone) link me to those comments? I haven't seen them yet.

RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Can you (or someone) link me to those comments? I haven't seen them yet.
    I don't actually know if it is in writing. He said it during his interview on TV Sunday night. His point was, with the second pick in the draft, you don't take projects. If the guy isn't able to step in immediately, he isn't worth the 2nd pick. Purely my speculation but from that I took that if the Rams are interested in an OT, 2nd round is the earliest they will be looking. If first round must be a starter immediately that limits the choices. DE, DT, OLB, ILB, G and SS? Weighting of mock drafts would indicate DE or DT. I haven't seen a LBer ranked in the top 10 yet and G and SS are rarely that highly valued ever.

edit: The Sporting News is saying Draft is likely our strong side LB next season. I'm fine with that. Eliminates the need to acquire a LB immediately. Still, they need a solid backup but that's a free agent probably.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-12-2008 at 05:54 PM.

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Smith, I could definately go for. He and Charles Grant really underperformed this year. Smith is more of a proven pass rusher, but is still quite stout against the run, and is realatively young. I'd sign him for the right amount.
    Just wondering how can you say he is good against the run when he plays for the Bengals, one of the worst run defenses in the NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by serkicker32 View Post
    Just wondering how can you say he is good against the run when he plays for the Bengals, one of the worst run defenses in the NFL?
    Because he's the only one on that d-line good against the run. When teams run the ball they attack the middle and opposite Smith which are the weakness of the Bengals D. Smith racks tackles up by stopping anyone who comes his way or chasing down guys where the other 3 guys on the line make mistakes. He will have alot more help with teams double teaming Little and with Carriker and Ryan taking up blocks. Anywhere with a semi-good line I think he willl have his best sack total

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Because he's the only one on that d-line good against the run. When teams run the ball they attack the middle and opposite Smith which are the weakness of the Bengals D. Smith racks tackles up by stopping anyone who comes his way or chasing down guys where the other 3 guys on the line make mistakes. He will have alot more help with teams double teaming Little and with Carriker and Ryan taking up blocks.
    What he said. Look, nobody questions that Little is a stout defender against the pass and against the run, right? That's because the problems we were experiencing, espically in 2006, were because of failures elsewhere. And that's proven; look how Ryan and Carriker helped resurrect this line, to the point where the only 100 yard rusher on us all year was Najeh Davenport.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

He is one of the only bright lights on the Bengals' D. That said, if we at all think that the Phins might not pick up Chris Long, then we can't chase him, as we'll tie too much cap room in someone who won't start, unless we can trade Little for something significant.

But hey, if the money's right, and he actually wants to come to St. Louis and make himself into a star, I won't object.