throwback week

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Karney released by Saints, possible option for us at FB?

Update: Saints sign Evans to replace Karney
    March 5, 2009 6:41 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas

Here's an update to our earlier report about the Saints releasing fullback Mike Karney. The Saints have just sent out a press release confirming Karney's release and the signing of Heath Evans as his replacement.

Evans, who previously played for New England, signed a two-year contract. Evans, who has been in the NFL for eight seasons, is viewed as more versatile than Karney. While Karney was known almost exclusively as a blocker, Evans has some rushing and receiving skills.

Evans has 157 career carries and has averaged 3.6 yards a carry. He also has 40 career receptions for 328 yards. With Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush as the main running backs, the Saints were lacking a short-yardage runner. Evans could help fill that void, although the Saints still could be on the market for a bigger tailback.

"Heath is a versatile and fundamentally sound fullback who can help our offense in a variety of roles, whether it be as a lead blocker, as a runner or receiving option out of the backfield as well as on special teams,” Saints executive vice president/general manager Mickey Loomis said. "He has played in a few different offensive systems and has adapted quickly and been a contributor to all of them.”

Before joining the Patriots, Evans was the lead blocker for Seattle's Shaun Alexander for four straight 1,000 yard seasons.

"Heath is a tireless worker and someone we were very impressed with after spending time with him,” coach Sean Payton said, "He's very excited about the various things we do from an offensive perspective and is a well-rounded and versatile player. In addition, he has played quite a bit on various special-teams units throughout his career and been a reliable and dependable player in many different situations.”
    Karney is a guy I liked as a lead blocking fullback coming out in the 2004 NFL Draft. I remember at the time hoping he lasted until our pick in the fifth round, but he was taken a couple spots ahead of us and we ended up grabbing Jason Shivers.

If the Rams are looking for a capable lead blocker to open holes in front of Jackson, then I hope Karney shows up on their radar.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Karney released by Saints, possible option for us at FB?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Karney is a guy I liked as a lead blocking fullback coming out in the 2004 NFL Draft. I remember at the time hoping he lasted until our pick in the fifth round, but he was taken a couple spots ahead of us and we ended up grabbing Jason Shivers.

If the Rams are looking for a capable lead blocker to open holes in front of Jackson, then I hope Karney shows up on their radar.
    I'm with you on the Karney idea. Although I still think that a Leonard Weaver brings more to the table than he does. BTW who in the world was Jason Shivers? Did he even get a cup of coffee with the Rams?

WHAT SAY YE?

WHAT SAY YE?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

He would be a verry nice addition, he could be roomates with S-JAx

codeman123 is offline Registered User

i think karney is a more realistic option for the rams since weaver is not that great of a blocking fullback (even though hes a great west coast back) and he might be on spags radar, at least he should be.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

We keep trying to get FB's that can do more then block and its normally at the expense of them being good blockers. I don't carry about our FB being able to do anything anmore other then hit people and open big holes. That is Karneys game and the Saints wanted more out of the FB like us. So they get an older player and we could get their younger player.
    Mike Karney 5'11 255 27yrs old and he fits the 4 pillars.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -03-06-2009 at 01:02 AM.

tonyray05 Guest

I think him and SJ could be best buddies, SJ could use the support!!

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    i think karney is a more realistic option for the rams since weaver is not that great of a blocking fullback (even though hes a great west coast back) and he might be on spags radar, at least he should be.
    Agreed. If the Rams are going to pick up a fullback, I want it to be a pure blocking fullback, and Karney fits that bill. We already have a fullback who can also run and receive in Brian Leonard - we've seen how that works out and we don't need another one. I like Leonard Weaver but I'd take Karney first.

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

jason shivers was a safety, i remember using him on madden once.

i dont know much about karney but he does seem to fit the mould of what we are after as a fullback.
    why not pick him up?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Shivers was either released or put on the practice squad after camp but then picked up by the Bears