RamWraith is offline Registered User

Karraker on his interview with Linehan

Randy Krarraker did an interview with Coach Linehan and this is what he had to say:

RK: Linehan said that he and Jay Zygmunt make the decisions in the war room, that Jay's role is "huge" and that Zygmunt is a part of every evaluation.

Linehan, in turn, listens to what Haslett and Olson want in players, and that factors into the choice.

That what was considered a "best player available" a couple of years ago by the Rams is different, because he likes a different type of player. He and Haslett like more size than what they inherited.

Was highly affected by what Devin Hester did to the Rams last season, and WILL come away with an elite return man by the end of this draft.

Said that, while a quality DT would upgrade the Rams, probably wouldn't be an "impact" player, while Ginn would.

The only positions they definitely won't take in round one are kicker and punter, and probably QB.

Thoroughly enjoys the evaluation and draft process...one of the most enjoyable aspects of the job for him.

Character is a huge issue in player procurement for him...moreso now because of Goodell's misconduct rules.

Rams are interested in Kris Jenkins, but one thing that happened when teams heard about the Rams interest in him is that other teams called with trade proposals.

One question though.....

Does anyone in the media ever dare (I understand it may be a tough job) to question why Zygmunt has so much say on draft day?

I mean....does he have any qualifications whatsoever? I'm not trying to be cute, but I always thought that Zygmunt was an accountant or attorney who had the job of working out contracts and managing the cap.....when did he become a personel guru?

RK: I don't think we need to ask. Zygmunt has so much say because he's the boss of the football side. He's the President of Football Operations. Shaw is there and makes his opinion known, too.

It's the nature of the league. Jerry Jones is an oil man, but he's the boss and makes the choices. Dan Snyder has atons of say over Redskin personnel. Obviously the Bidwills in Arizona call many of the shots. On the flip side, Indianapolis, Chicago, New England, Denver and San Diego have bosses that allow their drafts to be run completely by veteran football people.

Country is offline Registered User

Re: Karraker on his interview with Linehan

Ginn would not have the same impact as a DT that can stop the run, nothing would.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    Ginn would not have the same impact as a DT that can stop the run, nothing would.
    do you think that a kid straight out of college playing DT in the NFL for the first time is going to have that big of an impact ?we all hope so, but it is not likely to happen,and thats why i think we need Jenkins,will we have to give up to much ? maybe, but i believe he gives us the best chance to make that defense better and to win now.

z.nrd Guest

Depends on what you mean by "impact."

Will someone playing even average or so at NT improve the run defense? Yes.

Will improving the run defense improve the defense? Yes.

Will improving the defense improve the record? Yes.

Do you have to spend the 13th pick on a DT? No, unless it's Harrell.

Will taking Ginn have an impact?

Yes, wasting the 13th pick on a 4th WR will have an impact---it means one less defender while reaching for a WR wannabe who is both skinny and slow to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "impact."

Will someone playing even average or so at NT improve the run defense? Yes.

Will improving the run defense improve the defense? Yes.

Will improving the defense improve the record? Yes.

Do you have to spend the 13th pick on a DT? No, unless it's Harrell.

Will taking Ginn have an impact?

Yes, wasting the 13th pick on a 4th WR will have an impact---it means one less defender while reaching for a WR wannabe who is both skinny and slow to heal.
    I agree if Branch can come in and play average at NT that is a big step up from Kennedy.

Ginn is not neccaserily going to be Hester no one mentions that Hester has the best blocking unit in front of him.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    I agree if Branch can come in and play average at NT that is a big step up from Kennedy.

Ginn is not neccaserily going to be Hester no one mentions that Hester has the best blocking unit in front of him.
    an average Branch is a big step up from Kennedy ? did he play that poorly this past season,now i'm not saying he was good,but i don't think he was a step down from a college player,but thats my opinion,who is going to be an impact player for us at #13 ?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Rams are interested in Kris Jenkins, but one thing that happened when teams heard about the Rams interest in him is that other teams called with trade proposals.
    Does this sound like more smoke from Linehan to anyone else? He is probably sending out these signals to drive down the price on Jenkins a bit.

If its not, which other DTs could have been offered?

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Does this sound like more smoke from Linehan to anyone else? He is probably sending out these signals to drive down the price on Jenkins a bit.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Rams are going to be outbid for Kris Jenkins by the Bronco who are very aggressive in completing trades and it would allow the Panthers to move Jenkins out of the division.

The answer Amobi Okoye!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post

It's smoke, IMO.

Albert Haynesworth was mentioned in another thread as a possibility.