Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By AvengerRam
  • 3 Post By Nick
  • 2 Post By Azul e Oro

Thread: Keenan Allen Pro Day

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Keenan Allen Pro Day

Here are some early Tweets on Allen's Pro Day:

Tony Pauline‏@TonyPauline40mI'm told people in the Keenan Allen/WR/Cal camp are very nervous/concerned about workout today...hoping for best but bracing for otherwise.
    SC_DougFarrar‏@SC_DougFarrar1h
    Could be top-20 player RT @James_Dator: Dr. Andrews says Keenan Allen's knee is at 100% his surrounding muscles are at 75%... Per trainers
    Josh Norris‏@JoshNorris25m
    Pro day times for Keenan Allen. I'm sure there will be variance RT @James_Dator: Mayock timed Allen at 4.71 and 4.75
    He is going to be a tough player to evaluate. Clearly, he's not 100%... but how fast would he be if he was 100%? And does it matter if he is, as some have suggested, an Anquan Boldin type (Boldin ran slow times too).

My gut tells me that I need to drop him on my final draft board (which I'm putting the finishing touches on now).

Re: Keenan Allen Pro Day

Here's Rotoworld's write-up:

NFL Network's Mike Mayock timed Cal WR Keenan Allen's forties at 4.71 and 4.75 during the prospect's pro day workout.

Expect a wide variance of times from the pro day. Allen has dealt with a PCL injury during the pre-draft process, but doctors have said his knee is 100 percent, with the muscles surrounding it only around 75 percent. Allen's game isn't based on long speed, rather burst in and out of his breaks and toughness at the catch point.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Well well well. this really makes things tougher. As of right now i would still take him in the first, will have to wait though to hear more about it and see what the consensus is. I was hoping for a faster 40 time, but dont mind it to much, especially when he is still recovering and other wr's such as Boldin as Av pointed out ran slower times. The real question is if he can be had later then 1.22 now, and if so, how much later.

richtree is offline Registered User

He may end up being the perfect Round 2 selection.

Patterson, Cooper, K.Allen

At this point, I'd rate him as follows:

1:16 prospect: No.
    1:22 prospect: Probably not.
    2:46 prospect: Potentially good value.
    Nick, THOLTFAN81 and Judaxi like this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    At this point, I'd rate him as follows:

1:16 prospect: No.
    1:22 prospect: Probably not.
    2:46 prospect: Potentially good value.
    Agreed....not to mention the availability and depth of many other WRs (that are healthy) I could see him falling more and more......He may need to have another workout draft day eve..

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I may be biased because I want the Rams to draft him, but he needs to be 100% in August not April. Thus a team that knows how to evaluate players who have had serious injuries and I hope that the Rams are one of them (Jake Long) will know how to rank him.

Today will be a good indicator of what Keenan Allen can offer. I know we don't need him to be a speed demon as Chris Givens can provide that, but if he can run good routes, catch the ball with his hands not his body, get separation and make contested catches then I feel he would make a good pick for us. I seriously doubt, unless today is a disaster, that he will be there at #46 for us.

Go Rams!

Rambos is offline Registered User

I already had Allen as a day two pick. His health is the issue more so then the slow time for me. When will he be 100%? He is a good fit as he is more NFL ready then some, but what good is that if he is not ready for OTA's and then Camp. He will fall behind and get lost in the shuffle

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    And does it matter if he is, as some have suggested, an Anquan Boldin type (Boldin ran slow times too).
    Indeed. It's worth noting that Boldin ran a 4.71 at the Combine when he came out. It's also worth noting that Boldin was not a Top 50 pick as a prospect that year.

So what does this mean for Allen? Mike Mayock was on NFL Network talking about this, and I like his take on it - after Patterson and Austin, it's kind of a "pick your flavor" scenario with the remaining receivers. The next guy off the board after those two will probably be more about scheme fit than anything else.

If the Rams are looking for someone with the ideal size/speed combo, Justin Hunter might be the guy. If they're looking for a more reliable, possession type target, maybe they prefer DeAndre Hopkins or Quinton Patton. If they want a physical presence who can operate over the middle, Allen is probably still in play.

At this point, I think you have to ask yourself what receivers you're willing to take at 22 if Austin and Patterson are gone. Because it's possible that Hopkins, Allen, Patton, Woods, and Hunter are off the board when the Rams' second round pick rolls around.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Indeed. It's worth noting that Boldin ran a 4.71 at the Combine when he came out. It's also worth noting that Boldin was not a Top 50 pick as a prospect that year.

So what does this mean for Allen? Mike Mayock was on NFL Network talking about this, and I like his take on it - after Patterson and Austin, it's kind of a "pick your flavor" scenario with the remaining receivers. The next guy off the board after those two will probably be more about scheme fit than anything else.

If the Rams are looking for someone with the ideal size/speed combo, Justin Hunter might be the guy. If they're looking for a more reliable, possession type target, maybe they prefer DeAndre Hopkins or Quinton Patton. If they want a physical presence who can operate over the middle, Allen is probably still in play.

At this point, I think you have to ask yourself what receivers you're willing to take at 22 if Austin and Patterson are gone. Because it's possible that Hopkins, Allen, Patton, Woods, and Hunter are off the board when the Rams' second round pick rolls around.
    Nick that's the real question. So do you think the Rams will be reaching if they take anyone other then Patterson and Austin in the first round?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Nick that's the real question. So do you think the Rams will be reaching if they take anyone other then Patterson and Austin in the first round?
    I think you could make a case either way. It just depends on how you value these guys. How they (and other prospects) fit into the scheme will play an important factor as well. I could see a scenario where someone like Hopkins or Allen or Hunter are the pick if the Rams think they're a good fit for what this offense is missing, and the other available players - some of whom the outside media and fans consider better from a generic non-team specific standpoint - aren't as good of fits on the Rams specifically.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

This lucky Panthers fanblogger was present at the workout & had this to say:

Greensboro, NC -- "Sporting neon yellow cleats, Keenan Allen stretched on field quietly. Allen was at Ricky Proehl's facility on Tuesday morning to work out for NFL scouts and others. Far removed from the combine, scouts compared notes and talked casually with Mike Mayock of the NFL Network, who was there to cover the action. It was both an opportunity to see Allen show off his skills and to watch how the league operates on a day-to-day basis.

For all the seriousness of the pre-draft process, teams are far more relaxed than fans are. Chatting about their families, when it will finally be spring in Minnesota -- these guys know each other, and the process is devoid from the subterfuge and back-alley dealing that tend to lead to phrases like "smokescreen" billowing through reports. Embarrassingly over-dressed, I stood on the field in khakis and a dress shirt, while most were wearing shorts and running shoes. Luckily I was bailed out by the Broncos, whose rep was similarly dressed -- except he was wearing a team polo shirt.

Initially the Vikes and Colts looked to be the best-represented teams -- sending a cadre of scouts and position coaches to watch the workout. They were soon trumped by the Panthers, who had receiver coach Proehl in attendance (obviously), but also two additional coaches, and head coach Ron Rivera. Chomping on a bagel, the Panthers' coach locked on to Allen and spent most of the time chatting with the receiver. He later chatted with Mike Mayock for roughly 30 minutes, rather than sitting with the scouts.

Given the level of scrutiny over tenths of a second, and fractions of an inch, the pro day was an imprecise science. Scouts crowdsourced their 40 times, hoping to get an accurate measurement. Meanwhile a representative from the Jags offered to measure the 10- and 20-yard splits, sharing them with the others.

There was no excitement surrounding the 40 times. No swelling music (unless you count '80s hits on the facility stereo) and when it was done the scouts offered little in tells -- no disappointment, no emotion. They marked down their notes with pencil on paper, with the exception of the Skins' representative. He used an iPad, clearly flashing those Daniel Snyder dollars.

Times on the 40-yard dash varied. My hand-timing was far faster than the crowd, but I was jockeying for a position and didn't get a great look at his start. The consensus seems to be he ran between the mid-4.6s and early 4.7s, but the trainers were quick to mention before the workout that while Keenan Allen's knee is at 100%, the surrounding muscle groups are at about 75% right now -- which could have greatly impacted his time. One scout offered an interesting perspective: "He looks like he's got some hitch in his giddy-up", which I really hope appears in an official scouting report.

Up to this point the workout was clinical, and expected. It was the route running where you really got a sense of team's motivations and interests. The Colts wanted to see his change of direction, while the Bengals were most intrigued at seeing an 'Omaha return' route -- a six-yard pattern that saw Allen run to the sideline, loop back inside, and catch on the run. It was met with a simple phrase from Cincinnati: "He did an awesome job".

Allen made the best of a bad situation with his quarterback -- in this case Ricky Proehl himself. Scouts ribbed the former wide receiver for his errant throws, but like a preseason quarterback he settled -- and soon they were kidding about him making a comeback as a backup.

As slowly as the workout began, it ended abruptly. Allen stood on the field talking to teams, and arranging his schedule prior to the draft. It's not his intention to be in New York for the draft, instead electing to stay in Raleigh, NC. The post-workout feeling seems to be that while he struggled in the 40-yard dash, he excelled in his route running -- enough that several teams want to conduct private meetings with him.

Draftniks will be upset with the measurables in today's workout, but teams seemed less worried. Perhaps they were placating the young receiver, but he was met with a bevy of "great workouts" and "you looked great out there" from teams. A lock as a top-15 pick during the college season, now his status is a little foggier. It remains to be seen where Allen goes in the draft following today's workout."

With the Proehl/Panthers connection, I'm still not sure this guy gets past #14. They have to know that he'll probably be gone by #44. Pretty weird that Proehl threw for him instead of his brother. Not that Zach, bless his blue & gold socks, was worth a damn.I wonder if this blogger isn't a bit naive about the mindgames that are played pre-draft.

Forty, shmorty...
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -04-09-2013 at 07:45 PM.
    TekeRam and Tampa_Ram like this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

With the Proehl/Panthers connection, I'm still not sure this guy gets past #14. They have to know that he'll probably be gone by #44. Pretty weird that Proehl threw for him instead of his brother. Not that Zach, bless his blue & gold socks, was worth a damn.I wonder if this blogger isn't a bit naive about the mindgames that are played pre-draft.

Forty, shmorty...
    [/QUOTE]

I would love nothing more than for Carolina to fall in love with Keenan Allen.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

To your first point: Boldin and Fitzgerald show that amazing 40 times and downfield speed are not everything. They're clearly useful for getting separation, but two of the top 10 receivers in the league are "below average" when it comes to the 40. I, for one, looked at the scouting report above and focused on the drills comments(all gold stars) rather than his timed speed. At 75% he was good at playing football, but not running fast. Good enough for me.

In terms of your second point, if we're intent on getting a top 6 WR in this draft, we cannot get one, including Allen in the 2nd round at our current selection. I fully expect that at least six of those seven you mentioned will be gone. Now, does that mean that we need to possibly reach for a guy at 22? No!

It means that the #22 pick could absolutely be up for sale to just about anyone. Moving the Chains' mock draft last week had us trading up to get Warmack, and the trading back to 25 with the Packers, where we picked Robert Woods(a stretch, but I'll take position over player). I think we take our top target at #16 and we bail out of #22 and get some extra value.
    I believe!