Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Kelvin Benjamin embraces comparisons to Calvin Johnson

Kelvin Benjamin embraces comparisons to Calvin Johnson
    By Dan Greenspan
    College Football 24/7 writer
    Published: Jan. 6, 2014 at 04:29 p.m.
    Updated: Jan. 6, 2014 at 05:29 p.m.

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. -- When you are 6-foot-5 and 234 pounds like Florida State wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin, comparisons to Calvin Johnson are unavoidable.

"When I first came out of high school, they were like 'You could be a baby Megatron,'" Benjamin said. "I always looked up to him."

Like Johnson, Benjamin is a captivating physical presence. As Seminoles players filed in for media day ahead of Monday's BCS championship game against Auburn, all eyes were inevitably drawn to him.

Benjamin's hands are enormous, making it easy to see how he swallowed up a team-leading 14 touchdown receptions this season. As fellow wide receiver Rashad Greene said, "I told him, 'Man, your hands are like bigger than my whole head.'"

Add in his "sneaky speed," as Benjamin describes it, and it is easy to see why the redshirt sophomore could be the next underclassman wide receiver to join what is quickly becoming one of the deepest positions in the 2014 NFL Draft.

But that opportunity came only after Benjamin started putting together the consistency to match his abilities. Benjamin racked up 14 receptions for 341 yards and five touchdowns in his last two games -- against rival Florida and in the ACC championship game vs. Duke.

"That's something I had to grow up out of," Benjamin said. "On every play I just go hard because that post route might open up a route for Kenny (Shaw) or Rashad. It's just going out there and not playing selfish basically."

Benjamin said he, like every other Florida State player College Football 24/7 has spoken with this week, has yet to receive his grade from the draft evaluation board. Once he does, Benjamin will "talk it over as a family." Head coach Jimbo Fisher, whom Benjamin describes as a "father figure," will be included in the discussions.

With that skill set and plenty more comparisons to Johnson sure to come, Benjamin could continue his dramatic rise.

Said Florida State linebacker Telvin Smith: "And he's just now starting, so if he keeps going, there's no telling where he could up end at."

That sentiment is exactly why Benjamin will be so intriguing to scouts.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Re: Kelvin Benjamin embraces comparisons to Calvin Johnson

so far not cutting it in the biggest game...

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

But in the end, tough catch for the winner
    Barry Waller

Mikey is offline Registered User

He's got skills. Gonna be interesting to see if he comes out and where he ends up if he does.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    He needs yo develop, but the sky's the limit. Reminds me of Demaryius Thomas when he was at GaTech.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Sure would make a nice Ram.

welp, if he just had one catch

that last one would be it, regardless of how good he really is, a guy like that going up will come down with it unless you are a HOF DB

just wish he didn't have to play against the ACC all season, dude needs better competition

RealRam is offline Registered User

STL Rams have some studying to do: 2014 WRs! Of course, our scouts are on every position.

Three things to know about Kelvin Benjamin, FSU's giant wideout
    By Nam Le / SB Nation
    Jan 6 2014, 2:00p

1. Benjamin is big. Really big.

We'll get this one out of the way first -- at 6'5, 234 pounds, Kelvin Benjamin is a matchup problem for defensive coordinators, with unique size most corners are not equipped to handle and speed most safeties can't match.

Like it has most of the season, that could prove to be a factor on Monday night -- the four members of Auburn's starting defensive backfield are all listed as shorter than 6'0, and none have listed weights of over 200 pounds. At minimum, whoever draws the assignment of covering Benjamin will be giving up half a foot in height, not to mention nearly 35 pounds, making plays like this possible.

2. He's always known he's this good.

Benjamin was a heralded four-star recruit with SEC offers. And as detailed in Muck City, Bryan Mealer's book about Benjamin's high school team in hard-life Belle Glade, Florida, the big speedster found a way to break out of a tough environment and in a crowded state of prospects thanks to his talent:

After KB's junior season, there had been a rush to secure an early commitment. Alabama head coach Nick Saban had personally visited Benjamin at Glades Central just months after the Crimson Tide won the national championship. The coach had seen KB's highlights and told him he had the build and style of Julio Jones, the Tide's standout receiver.

"He was down-to-earth," Benjamin said of Saban, whom Forbes once called "The Most Powerful Coach in Sports." "I didn't really know who he was."

But by senior year, Benjamin had narrowed his choice down to the University of Florida and Florida State. Both programs had already hosted him at summer camps and tournaments and each felt it had a shot.

[...]

"[A Florida coach] called me last night," KB said one day at practice. "Said I'd be a threat on their team and get them to the national championship. Said I'm not like a regular receiver with the height and speed I got. It's not all hype. I know it's true."

3. He is getting better. Rapidly.

Benjamin was already significantly older than most of his high school competition as a recruit, which meant there was some worry about how good he might be at the college level. He redshirted in 2011, and began to flash some promise in 2012, his redshirt freshman season, but there were still question marks, particularly about his effort and his polish. Tomahawk Nation has more in a 2013 season preview and scouting report of Benjamin:

Unfortunately, even in the Clemson game, it was clear Benjamin might have some bad habits. Chief among them is playing small. Instead of running through routes, he has a propensity to turn, backpedal and look for the ball (gif below). This is the worst way to go about using a huge size advantage.

Benjamin also suffered from lapses in concentration and intensity at times. Sometimes he wouldn't run his routes hard. Other times, he would run the incorrect route, or not run the route to the correct depth (taking seven steps instead of ten, etc.). The extent of the lapses is perhaps overstated by some, but there's no doubt that a 6'6 player not running hard will draw the attention and ire of fans who expect so much more. The hope is that with increased maturity, Benjamin will become more consistent in doing the little things that will allow him to make the big plays.

To his credit, he has absolutely erased those concerns with his production this year, already becoming twice the player he was a season ago. That is actually not hyperbole -- Benjamin basically doubled his numbers from 2012, going from a line of 30 catches, 495 yards and four touchdowns to one of 50 catches, 957 yards and 14 scores, with Monday's BCS Championship Game still remaining.

In an interview with Tomahawk Nation, Benjamin attributed his growth to increased maturity, and on Monday, the Seminoles will have one more chance to reap the benefits.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

This guy could be the perfect complement to our other receivers.

richtree is offline Registered User

This guys stock went down during the bowl game. He shows he still has length, and hands weren't great, but he didn't show any route running or speed to the ball. He looks more like a DeAndre Hopkinks and isn't better than Allen Robinson or Brandon Coleman -- but does have the dreaded "potential" to develop into a big time player......

Gonna be a project , don't know if the rams want that...He can play, ? is how high ?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Let's be clear here...

Benjamin is NOT Calvin Johnson.

Does he have the physical tools to become Calvin Johnson? Maybe.

But, at this point in his career, Johnson was a much more refined product.

Benjamin is a huge mismatch and, if used properly, could be very productive early in his career. However, to reach that "elite" level where Johnson resides will take time.

If he declares, would he be worth considering at #13? Perhaps, though I doubt he'd be at the top of my list.

If the Rams obtain another first round pick in the 20s (i.e. from Cleveland) would I consider him there? Sure.

he can go up for jump balls...but i haven't seen him get a whole lotta true separation

well, to be fair, auburn was holding FSU all night...

but i'm not sure about getting him at 13 still
    Last edited by citr92; -01-07-2014 at 03:49 PM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Citr92 View Post
    He can go up for jump balls...but I haven't seen him get a whole lotta true separation

So yea, not sure about getting him at 13.
    KB at 13 might be jumping the gun, OR, might be right on. I'd venture to say he won't be there at 13.*

*.- For example, Raiders taking him.

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    KB at 13 might be jumping the gun, OR, might be right on. I'd venture to say he won't be there at 13.*

*.- For example, Raiders taking him.

lol

forgot about teams taking people higher than they should be *raiders*