schut39 is offline Registered User

Kenny Britt anyone?

Hey guys. I believe that we could still use another big play receiver. Don't get me wrong though, Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton will make great receivers, but neither of them are very physical.

I was looking through all of the top wr's this year and saw a guy named Kenny Britt who stands at 6'4" and weighs 215. That is pretty big for a receiver. Compared to other receivers, I would say he is close to Fitzgerald in size. His best 40 time so far is a 4.46 which is around Steven Jackson speed. While that may not be incredibly fast for a receiver, he makes up for his speed with his size.

Britt is projected to go in the early second round, so I was thinking, why not take a great lineman or linebacker in the first round and then get Kenny Britt in the second round? Spagnuolo did say that he wants to get bigger and more physical and I think that Kenny Britt is just that. What do you guys think about him?

EDIT: Also, another receiver we could look at is Darius Heyward-Bey. He is listed as 6'3" and 206 pounds. (Slightly smaller than Britt) The big difference between the two is that Heyward-Bey runs a 4.38 40 yard dash which is really fast. Many people think he will be taken in the late first round, but if he happens to slip down to the second round I would gladly take him.
    Last edited by schut39; -02-21-2009 at 03:21 PM.

djdeeznutz Guest

Re: Kenny Britt anyone?

I hate Kenny Britt. Everyone in Rutgers here so excited about him. Everyone keeps saying that he will be better than Crabtree and that he is the best WR in the draft. It sickens me here.

We dont need a WR even if Torry Holt leaves. The only reason Crabtree talks came up were because there is not clear cut best OT and Crabtree is the Clear cut best prospect in the draft. If we do take a WR it will be in the middle rounds but i highly doubt it.

We are a team that is re-building so we might just give Burton and Avery a chance to flurish while we re-build and if they can do great who knows im thinking the 08 Falcons.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

*cough cough* Ramses Barden *cough*
    Seriously though, let's focus on the o-line first and then beef up some defensive positions. Defense, after all, wins championships right?

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I'd jump all over Heyward-Bey or James Laurinitis if they fell to the late first, and Britt will get some consideration if we go OT in round one and Alex Mack and the better middle linebacker prospects are gone.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by schut39 View Post
    I was looking through all of the top wr's this year and saw a guy named Kenny Britt who stands at 6'4" and weighs 215. That is pretty big for a receiver. Compared to other receivers, I would say he is close to Fitzgerald in size. His best 40 time so far is a 4.46 which is around Steven Jackson speed. While that may not be incredibly fast for a receiver, he makes up for his speed with his size.
    Britt measured in at the combine slightly under 6'3" and weighed in at 218 pounds. Big guy, nice arm length. One criticism I've read was about a lack of upper body strength, but he just put up 23 reps on the bench press. If he can run a sub-4.5 forty at the combine, I doubt he makes it into the second round. Honestly he may not even make it there with a forty in the 4.5s. Teams like Chicago and New York could be very interested in adding a big target like Britt.

EDIT: Also, another receiver we could look at is Darius Heyward-Bey. He is listed as 6'3" and 206 pounds. (Slightly smaller than Britt) The big difference between the two is that Heyward-Bey runs a 4.38 40 yard dash which is really fast. Many people think he will be taken in the late first round, but if he happens to slip down to the second round I would gladly take him.
    DHB is an interesting prospect. He measured in at 6'2" but 195 pounds, so he's a bit lanky. He's not as strong or as physical as Britt, IMO. Not quite as polished, and seems to be considered more of a vertical threat than someone capable of doing a lot of things for you. I'm not sure how well he'd compliment Avery, since one of Donnie's strengths is also his deep speed.

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    We dont need a WR even if Torry Holt leaves. The only reason Crabtree talks came up were because there is not clear cut best OT and Crabtree is the Clear cut best prospect in the draft.
    Uhh, no. I would argue that WR is a need even if Torry isn't cut. Holt turns 33 this summer, is running on bad knees, and only has one year left on his contract. The Crabtree discussion isn't just because there isn't a consensus top OT, nor is it because Crabtree is the clear cut best prospect in this class. You seem to be reinventing history a bit here.

Thanks for the comments, and yeah 23 benches. That is pretty impressive close to some linemen. I really wouldn't mind if we took him, kind of like Drew Bennett, but probably a little faster. No problem though if he doesn't slip to the second round. We got some bigger problems at other positions such as MLB and CB or SS.

EDIT: Oh man, I never even heard of Ramses Barden. But man he is huge. That is Calvin Johnson size. Listed at 6'6" and 229 pounds. I would happily take him also if he is left in the third round. I heard somewhere that he could slip to the 5th round. If he does go that far, I say we take him being as big as he is.
    Last edited by schut39; -02-21-2009 at 09:12 PM.

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Uhh, no. I would argue that WR is a need even if Torry isn't cut. Holt turns 33 this summer, is running on bad knees, and only has one year left on his contract. The Crabtree discussion isn't just because there isn't a consensus top OT, nor is it because Crabtree is the clear cut best prospect in this class. You seem to be reinventing history a bit here.
    I wouldn't consider it a huge need. If we do draft one it will be in the middle (i dont see it happening). We can just go out there with the young WRs and see them flurish or address that next year.

WR#1: Torry Holt
    WR#2: Donnie Avery
    Slot : Drew Bennet (remember him)
    WR#4: Keenan Burton
    WR#5: Dane Looker
    WR#6: Derek Stanley (return guy)

if no Holt:

WR#1: Donnie Avery
    WR#2: Keenen Burton
    Slot : Drew Bennet
    WR#4: Dane Looker
    WR#5: (torry Holt effect) (if traded for draft pick we get a WR) (If released we pick up a scrub from FA)
    WR#6: Derek Stanley (return guy)

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

Don't get me wrong though, Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton will make great receivers, but neither of them are very physical.
    What has Keenan Burton done to make him a great receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by iStillBelieve View Post
    What has Keenan Burton done to make him a great receiver?
    You must have misread this. I said they WILL make great receivers. Obviously he wasn't so special this season, but barely receivers have a breakout rookie season. I saw some great potential in him this season and I believe they could make a good tandem of receivers in the future.