Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Khaliff Barnes

  1. #1
    39thebeast's Avatar
    39thebeast is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    conecticut
    Posts
    2,740
    Rep Power
    38

    Khaliff Barnes

    IMO he is a great fit for this new look O-Line and would be better at RT than Bell who could be a versatile backup. Only Jeff Otah paved the way for more yards off tackle than Barnes. He did give up 7.5 sacks, but he is a much better fit on the right side. He is a big mauler that fits the new look O-line. Barron and Barnes are young bookends that compliment each other.

    LT- Barron 320 pounds
    LG- Grecco 325 pounds
    C- Brown 325 pounds
    RG- Cogs 330 pounds
    RT- Barnes 325 pounds

    That is big bad line and you could also add Kerney. IMO S-Jax would have a great year behind those big boys.


  2. #2
    jbell15's Avatar
    jbell15 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    california
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Khaliff Barnes

    He is a very good option, IMO, but what will be his cost.
    We released pace, so that gives up the money for our draft picks.
    Now, any player we sign will come out of future cuts.
    But, there is nooo way that both cogs and greco start, IMO.
    They didn't sign bell t a multi-year deal to sit on the bench, and he stated earlier this offseason that he is trying to add weight.
    But good idea with Barnes, i was thinking that too!

  3. #3
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,478
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Khaliff Barnes

    He'd probably be an adequate right tackle, but I think some people are fooling themselves into thinking he's better than he is. It's hard for me to imagine why a good offensive tackle is available nearly two weeks into free agency. The good ones that hit the market, on the rare instances they do, don't last long.

  4. #4
    39thebeast's Avatar
    39thebeast is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    conecticut
    Posts
    2,740
    Rep Power
    38

    Re: Khaliff Barnes

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    He'd probably be an adequate right tackle, but I think some people are fooling themselves into thinking he's better than he is. It's hard for me to imagine why a good offensive tackle is available nearly two weeks into free agency. The good ones that hit the market, on the rare instances they do, don't last long.
    That is true, but you can't deny him being a top run blocking tackle in the league. He has had plenty of interest and probably has done the msot visits of anyone left on the market. He has been to the Saints, Raiders, and Buccaneers just yesterday.

    Also this is a deep OT class so that must hurt him a bit

  5. #5
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,478
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Khaliff Barnes

    Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    That is true, but you can't deny him being a top run blocking tackle in the league.
    Honest question - why can't I? If he's a top run blocking tackle in the entire league, why is he still available? The Saints passed, the ***** passed, and the Raiders passed. If he signs in Tampa Bay, he may end up being a reserve there. That doesn't happen to guys who are among the best blockers in the league.

  6. #6
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,605
    Rep Power
    82

    Re: Khaliff Barnes

    Unless of course nick he has unrealistic contract demands, which of course would be an issue for the rams as well. I agree that he isnt that great and while its a deep OT class, i cant imagine that there is much expectation that with the exception of a handful of guys, many rookies are going to be able to step in and play immediately.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel


  7. #7
    jbell15's Avatar
    jbell15 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    california
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Khaliff Barnes

    I think that he is a 7 out of ten stars, and he thinks he is like 9 stars.
    The fact that he has had so many visits, means that people think high of him.
    The fact that he hasn't signed shows, not that he isn't that good, but that his contract demands are over the top.
    Maybe in a couple of weeks the rams can get him for what he's worth, and that is probably a three year deal worth about around 10 million with incentives.

  8. #8
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,478
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Khaliff Barnes

    I guess my point is this. The Jags elected to let him go, which teams simply don't do when it comes to quality tackles. They basically told him he wasn't in their plans.

    He was scheduled to meet with New Orleans to possibly fill their RT spot, but New Orleans instead elected to resign Jon Stinchcomb so Barnes canceled his visit. The ***** showed minimal interest but then backed away.

    His negotiations with Oakland do support the idea that he may be asking for too much, but in this free agent market, if he was really that good, I think someone would pay him.

    Now he's visiting Tampa Bay, even though the Bucs already seem to have two tackles they're satisfied with. According to the St. Petersburg Times, Barnes "would likely be a backup to right tackle Jeremy Trueblood and left tackle Donald Penn." A back-up.

    It's probably a moot point anyways, because after Barnes' 2006 DUI arrest and his other vehicular incident last season, I doubt he fits into the Rams' plans in terms of character.

  9. #9
    rams 24/7 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    california
    Posts
    317
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Khaliff Barnes

    NICK, I Think The Reason Teams Have Passed On Him Is Because Of Legal Trouble in the passed, Not Because he lacks Talent.

  10. #10
    UKRamsFan1981 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Khaliff Barnes

    I'd take a look if the price is right but also grab Loadholt in the second round of the draft, with Barron, Barnes and Loadholt we would be in pretty good shape at OT for a while. That way we still get the chance to grab Curry.

    LT - Barron, Barnes
    RT - Barnes, Loadholt

    I seriously doubt the Rams will sign a OT in free agency, it looks like we've backed ourselves into a corner and have to take a OT at #2, the thing that worries me is I'm not sure any of them are worth it.

  11. #11
    iso10topes's Avatar
    iso10topes is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    zansibar
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Khaliff Barnes

    the thing about "Khalif Barnes" is that he is not that solid. then on top of being not that solid he wants huge cash. like hes a left tackle.

    perfect example. you didn't even spell his name right in the thread. hes no big deal

  12. #12
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,925
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: Khaliff Barnes

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I guess my point is this. The Jags elected to let him go, which teams simply don't do when it comes to quality tackles. They basically told him he wasn't in their plans.
    Not that I disagree, but is this not dissimilar to Jason Brown???

  13. #13
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,478
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Khaliff Barnes

    Quote Originally Posted by rams 24/7 View Post
    NICK, I Think The Reason Teams Have Passed On Him Is Because Of Legal Trouble in the passed, Not Because he lacks Talent.
    I think it's both. I don't think he's talentless, but I also wouldn't classify him as one of the league's "top run blocking tackles" either. Guys who are among the league best at something simply aren't going to last long on the open market, IMO. It likely also has something to do with whether or not teams view him as an effective starting left tackle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Not that I disagree, but is this not dissimilar to Jason Brown???
    My understanding is that the Ravens offered Brown a deal worth $6 million a year, and then basically moved on when it became obvious he'd get more elsewhere. I don't think the Jags approached Barnes with an extension.

  14. #14
    39thebeast's Avatar
    39thebeast is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    conecticut
    Posts
    2,740
    Rep Power
    38

    Re: Khaliff Barnes

    IMO he should be looked at as more of RT than a LT. I Do think he is one of the best run blockers, but his pass blocking hurts him. I think he gives up less sacks on the right side. The Jags had 6.04 off left tackle the second best in the league, I know that isn't all on Barnes, but he did have alot to do with it.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: -11-30-2008, 12:55 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: -09-01-2005, 10:33 AM
  3. Martz lashes out at Barron's agent
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -08-08-2005, 07:54 AM
  4. Martz Angry About Barron's Absence
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -08-07-2005, 03:04 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -07-21-2005, 03:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •