Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By TekeRam

Thread: Kill your darlings

Rammed is offline Registered User

Kill your darlings

Losing Jackson, Amendola, Gibson, Hayes, Mikkel is part of business of good teams.

Green Bay does it every year along with the Steelers, Giants and Patriots. Being able to let players go after their first contract or before their last is what makes teams contenders year in year out. You lock up your keypositions and you draft (cheap) talent to fill the holes.

Our keypositions have been locked up. Aging injured or mediocore veterans have been delt with. Young cheap talent is on the roster. Now it's time to make one FA splash and draft like last year!

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

Re: Kill your darlings

The plan sounds simple in theory, but there are so many variables that can wreak havoc on an organization. The list of teams you provide are the exception and not the rule in the NFL. One variable is making the one splash in Free Agency. There are 31 other teams to compete with, and the players that are deemed splash worthy might not be an area of need for the Rams. Secondly, drafting like the Rams did last year is not something that most teams can accomplish. Look at the Rams of the last decade. They were unable to have one good draft in said time period. Yes, you can certainly say look who was leading those drafts, but the fact is the Rams are not going to be able to draft as successful as they did in 2012 year in and year out. Not to say they can not do it this year, but once again I would say that last year was the exception and not the rule.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Citing to the "last decade" is meaningless. In terms of making the right offseason moves, our CURRENT front office is one for one.
    Rammed likes this.

That doesn't imply they always will. I have faith in them to make the right decisions the majority of the time, but I don't think it is possible for Fisher and company to hit on a high percentage of their draft pick.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamBamThankYouMam View Post
    That doesn't imply they always will. I have faith in them to make the right decisions the majority of the time, but I don't think it is possible for Fisher and company to hit on a high percentage of their draft pick.
    I really think this is how most Rams fan feel, I don't get it too be honest. You don't stay a head coach in the NFL for very long if you can't draft and develop talent. Fisher had coached one team for 16 years, I would find that impossible if he did not have an eye for talent. Les is young and aggressive GM. They both are on the same page and work well together. I know we have sucked big time drafting the last six years or so.... But Fisher and Les where not here.

I have all the faith in the FO, Fisher will build a very good team. Can he do it in two years NO, but we are already competitive after one. I see nothing but better days ahead.

I never said that Fisher was a bad drafter. I know Fisher is usually a good drafter and has an eye for talent. Fisher has had drafts where many picks were contributors, and then he has had drafts that weren't as successful. All I was stating is running a franchise like the original poster suggested is easier said than done. If it were that easy wouldn't Fisher have multiple championships in a 5 year stretch? All the teams that were listed did accomplish that feat. Once again, that does not mean I think Fisher is a bad drafter. That does not mean I think Fisher makes poor decisions running an organization. All that means is running a team like the Patriots, Steelers, Packers is a lot easier to suggest than to actually accomplish.
    Last edited by RamBamThankYouMam; -03-12-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamBamThankYouMam View Post
    Nothing I said is related to your post. I never said that Fisher was a bad drafter. I know Fisher is usually a good drafter and has an eye for talent. Fisher has had drafts where many picks were contributors, and then he has had drafts that weren't as successful. All I was stating is running a franchise like the original poster suggested is easier said than done. If it were that easy wouldn't Fisher have multiple championships in a 5 year stretch? All the teams that were listed did accomplish that feat. Once again, that does not mean I think Fisher is a bad drafter. That does not mean I think Fisher makes poor decisions running an organization. All that means is running a team like the Patriots, Steelers, Packers is a lot easier to suggest than to actually accomplish.
    I said is related to your post. I never said that Fisher was a bad drafter.

I don't think it is possible for Fisher and company to hit on a high percentage of their draft pick.
    Sounds like you did say just what I stated... Then you come back and say since Fisher never won multiple championships. Which again sounds like you don't have much faith.

If I'm wrong no worries.... I still think a lot of Rams fans think we can't build threw the draft. The reason why it's been so long for the Rams to hit on more then one or two player per draft. I think this is the best FO and owner we have had in a long time. Only time will tell if that is proven to be true but after year one it's hard to argue against it,

You can still be a good drafter and not hit on a high percentage of your picks every draft. Funny how you cut out the first part of that sentence to prove your point, as I said before you cherry picked that quote that I do have faith in Jeff Fisher. The reason I stated that Fisher hasn't won multiple championships in a 5 year stretch to prove how hard it is to run an organization like the Giants, Steelers, and Patriots. I did not say that to suggest I don't have faith in Jeff Fisher. This is getting off subject for all the wrong reasons. All I am saying is the original poster of this thread is suggesting that all we have to do is follow the plans of the teams he mentioned. I don't think it is as easy as he makes it sound because there are too many variables. I don't know what is wrong with that.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

So, RamBam, you mention that the Giants, Steelers, Pats, and Packers are the exception, not the rule in the NFL in how they handle their talent, and suggest that we shouldn't look to them as the way to go and that the variable of Free Agency is the main factor. But then you recall that those teams are perennial contenders for championships. So which way is it?

Personally, I fully subscribe to their methods, and unless that we can sign those "darlings," as Rammed termed them, to moderately priced contracts, we absolutely should let them go. I want solid players who are affordable more than I want a guy who's just out for the most money, regardless of how good he is. Fisher and Snead are building a good thing through smart signings and smart drafting. Ride the wave, and trust in their evaluations.
    Rammed likes this.
    I believe!

Rammed is offline Registered User

And on the exception not rule thingy....you can add the Bears, Ravens, Chargers, Falcons also to the list of building through draft and not FA.

Also Kroenke has mentioned in more than one of his seldom interviews that he'd like to model his franchise to the patriots.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    So, RamBam, you mention that the Giants, Steelers, Pats, and Packers are the exception, not the rule in the NFL in how they handle their talent, and suggest that we shouldn't look to them as the way to go and that the variable of Free Agency is the main factor. But then you recall that those teams are perennial contenders for championships. So which way is it?

Personally, I fully subscribe to their methods, and unless that we can sign those "darlings," as Rammed termed them, to moderately priced contracts, we absolutely should let them go. I want solid players who are affordable more than I want a guy who's just out for the most money, regardless of how good he is. Fisher and Snead are building a good thing through smart signings and smart drafting. Ride the wave, and trust in their evaluations.
    I don't remember every saying it wasn't the right way to do things. I am just saying doing it and executing it the right way are two entirely different things. I NEVER, not once, said it was a bad idea. I fully subscribe to it.