Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

King: Rams will trade the #2 pick for sure

This is from today's installment of Peter King's Monday Morning QB:

There hasn't been a second pick in the draft this compelling since 1998. Throw away the draft trade value chart. It's meaningless when there's a player creating the buzz of Griffin. Same thing with Ryan Leaf 14 years ago. Forget what Leaf became; he and Peyton Manning, at one point after the college football season, were 1 and 1a on draft boards for any quarterback-needy teams. San Diego was picking third that year and Arizona second. The Cards put the pick up for auction. To move one spot, San Diego sent two first-round picks, a second- and three-time Pro Bowl running back/returner Eric Metcalf.

The Rams will drive a hard bargain. Cleveland (fourth overall pick), Washington (sixth) and Miami (eighth) will be in the derby to move up; Seattle (12) and a couple of mystery teams could be too. Add the fact that the money involved (four years, about $22 million) is likely to be less than the money paid to the top (current) free agent Matt Flynn, and the market for Griffin will be hopping.

"The whole paradigm has changed in several ways,'' said Rams COO Kevin Demoff Saturday night. "Griffin could be cheaper than Flynn. The fact that you can get a potential franchise quarterback for what the top picks are paid now makes it easier to justify trading a lot for it.''

So the Rams hope.

Demoff thinks there will be three distinct windows to get a deal done. The first, and I think most unlikely, is before the free agency period opens March 13; before Griffin gets hotter at his March 21 Pro Day, a team may choose to try to blow the Rams out of the water with an offer. The second would be after the Pro Day, when all the teams' decision-makers are in one spot, Palm Beach, Fla., at the March 24-28 league meetings. The third: in the days or hours before the April 26 first round.

"You can't tell what the musical chairs will do,'' said Demoff. "Maybe someone will get left out and need Griffin. You don't know.''

The Rams have to hope that two top-10 teams in the first round want to compete for the pick. Without that, they won't be able to maximize value. The Rams will trade the pick, for sure. But the size of the ransom will depend on the seriousness of the competition.
    Read more: Robert Griffin III's combine performance makes No. 2 NFL Draft pick a valuable one - Peter King - SI.com

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Re: King: Rams will trade the #2 pick for sure

More from King

Interviewed Monday by NFL Network's Jeff Darlington, SI's Peter King suggested that the Rams could land an "all-time" haul for a team interested in trading up to No. 2 overall for Robert Griffin III.

"This could be an all-time NFL trade," King said. "The absolute bottom line is two (first-round picks) and something. ... If Cleveland's gonna move up, it's not only gonna be Nos. 4 and 22. It's gonna be 4 and 22, and a (second-round pick) and maybe a (fifth-round pick). Everyone in Cleveland's gonna gag."

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    More from King

Interviewed Monday by NFL Network's Jeff Darlington, SI's Peter King suggested that the Rams could land an "all-time" haul for a team interested in trading up to No. 2 overall for Robert Griffin III.

"This could be an all-time NFL trade," King said. "The absolute bottom line is two (first-round picks) and something. ... If Cleveland's gonna move up, it's not only gonna be Nos. 4 and 22. It's gonna be 4 and 22, and a (second-round pick) and maybe a (fifth-round pick). Everyone in Cleveland's gonna gag."
    This is what I see happening, a ton of picks...

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    More from King

This is what I see happening, a ton of picks...

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

If all else fails, I'm all for drafting Claiborne with the #2 overall. Even though I have a deep mancrush for Blackmon, I wouldn't advocate picking him at #2 because he doesn't have that "elite" tag in him. I know it's rare to have the likes of AJ Green and Megatron on the draft but a Hakeem Nicks clone doesn't go well with that pick. Besides, even though we'll be getting our starters in the secondary back, we're not certain if they'll be 100%: knee injuries really take affect of your gameplay and neck injuries as well.

Rammed is online now Registered User

Rams will trade No. 2 pick. Only question is where. Chargers once got two 1s, a 3 and a 5 for Eli Manning. Rams likely to get similar deal. -- Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Kalil at 2 or trade down

I'd like to switch with Browns, and then get Kalil, but i can't see him getting past Minny. Unless we get such a good deal in the trade that we then move up to get him

RealRam is offline Registered User

This goes in accord with most of the above, i.e., to reiterate.

Griffin Impresses With Flashy Speed
    NY Times
    By JUDY BATTISTA
    Published: February 26, 2012

INDIANAPOLIS — Andrew Luck of Stanford is considered the best N.F.L. quarterback prospect since John Elway, and is expected to be drafted by the Indianapolis Colts with the first overall pick in April. But Baylor’s Robert Griffin III might have solidified his spot at No. 2 — and improved the St. Louis Rams’ leverage in trade talks for their second overall pick — when he ran the 40-yard dash Sunday morning in a scorching 4.41 seconds. For comparison, Carolina quarterback Cam Newton, who terrorized defenses as a rookie with his ability to run and pass (and who is three inches taller than Griffin), ran the 40 in 4.6 seconds. That is about what Luck, who is 6 feet 4 inches and 234 pounds, clocked when he ran the 40 in 4.67 seconds.
    Emphasis mine