Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Kiper, Jr on the Rams on draft day

Per another Ram site:

RamBill

Subject: "Kiper: Rams will take D-lineman with No. 2 pick/Korte B..."

ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. sees the Rams choosing between defensive linemen Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

“They drafted (Adam) Carraker last year, and I think they get another versatile guy in either Long or Dorsey,’’ Kiper said when I asked him about the Rams’ draft picture during a national teleconference on Monday prior to the opening of the NFL Scouting Combine later this week.

“The St. Louis Rams are a team that has a lot of needs. They don’t just have one need on the defensive line. They have other areas they certainly could address. But, early on, that’s where I would look. As for their second need, you say what else does this team need? I know one in terms of the draft. It has be a wide receiver at some point. You also could look at linebacker, you could look at O-line.’’

Long, the son of Hall of Fame DE Howie Long, had 79 tackles, 14 sacks and 19 tackles for a loss playing defensive end last season for the University of Virginia.

“Long is the consummate worker,’’ Kiper said. “He is exactly what you want. Passionate about the game. You’re talking about a guy with production who dominated week after week and who was double- or triple-team every week and still did a heck of a job.’’

Dorsey had 69 tackles, seven sacks and 12.5 tackles for a loss playing defensive tackle last season for LSU despite playing with a knee injury sustained early in the season.

“Dorsey, to me, when he is at full strength, he is a dominator,’’ Kiper said. “He gives you that Ray Lewis mentality. He is so energized. Football is all that matters, so everybody around him is going to get better when he is on the field. He is going to play through injury. He put the pads on and was out there when most people would have been in street clothes watching at the end of the year. He is just a special player from the standpoint of approach and attitude.’’

-- Kiper seemed pretty confident that the Miami Dolphins under new Executive Vice President of Football Operations Bill Parcells will take Boston College QB Matt Ryan with the No. 1 overall pick.

“If they don’t feel like John Beck is the right guy moving forward with, then they need to draft Matt Ryan,’’ Kiper said. “He drafted Drew Bledsoe up in New England, and I think Matt Ryan is the kind of quarterback that fits what Bill wants.

“Had they drafted Brady Quinn last instead of Ted Ginn (Jr.) last year, the previous administration, they wouldn’t be drafting Matt Ryan. Brady Quinn would their guy moving forward. Now instead of using that pick on another position or trading it, they are almost forced to take Matt Ryan.’’

-- Kiper thinks Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall will be taken between No. 14 to No. 28 in the first round.

“He’s a heck of a back, he showed it against USC,’’ Kiper said. “You’re talking about a guy as a solid feature back. He has a chance what it takes to be that. Some of the other guys have a chance of being tandems. He’s an authoritative, tough runner who has a burst through the hole. (He’s) a tackle-breaker, hard to get down. You look at the USC game, how he showed the ability to break the long gainer against a defense that has athletes with speed in the secondary. They couldn’t catch up to him. He was second on the team with 34 catches. That, to me, that allows him to be a solid first-rounder.’’

Kiper said Mendenhall is battling Arkansas’ Felix Jones and Oregon’s Jonathan Stewart to be the second running back taken in the draft.
    “There is no way I could put him ahead of (Arkansas’ Darren) McFadden,’’ Kiper said of Mendenhall. “I could very easily see him as the second running back taken, but I could never put him ahead of McFadden.’’

-- Kiper said there are six elite players available in the draft, and then a dropoff. Those players are Dorsey, McFadden, Ryan, Long, Michigan OT Jake Long and Southern Cal DT Sedrick Ellis.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Kiper, Jr on the Rams on draft day

Kind of obvious...I really didn't see why people would want to get Jake Long...sorry. =/

But as of now, Long > Dorsey. Let's just hope that the Phins get Ryan.

Keenum is offline Registered User

For now, I think I'd go with Chris Long.
    I like how Carriker and Clifton Ryan were developing lats year, and if Glover can stick around and not have to continue to see a lot of reps, he can still play very well. Hopefully Wroten can get going as well.
    If Leonard Little stays healthy, then we could have a great duo at DE if we get Long. Consider 2009, if Long can be a stud, Little is healthy, and Carriker and Ryan do indeed become good starters, we can have a great pass rush.
    And the Giants showed us how valuable a great pass rush can be...

But if we got Dorsey, I wouldn't be too upset. Could that open up the door for Carriker to move BACK to his DE spot? Maybe.

Jake Long is good, but I think Pace is good for another few years, and I haven't given up on Barron yet. I just want to see a good, solid vetern OT to back them up (hopefully we don't have like 10 injuries on the O-line like last year...)

RealRam is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: Kiper, Jr on the Rams on draft day

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    For now, I think I'd go with Chris Long.

I like how Carriker and Clifton Ryan were developing last year, and if Glover can stick around and not have to continue to see a lot of reps, he can still play very well. Hopefully Wroten can get going as well.

If Leonard Little stays healthy, then we could have a great duo at DE if we get Long. Consider 2009, if Long can be a stud, Little is healthy, and Carriker and Ryan do indeed become good starters, we can have a great pass rush.

And the Giants showed us how valuable a great pass rush can be...

But if we got Dorsey, I wouldn't be too upset. Could that open up the door for Carriker to move BACK to his DE spot? Maybe.

Thumbs up post on the Long / Dorsey possibilities; and I do believe it will be one or the other for us. Totally agree with your note on Carriker and Ryan. This year ought to yield an improved performance by both -- and both are good already.

Adam Carriker.
    Leonard Little.
    Chis Long.
    Clifton Ryan.

Our new Fearsome Foursome in the making? :bash:

39thebeast is offline Registered User

If the phins take Ryan i don't think we can go wrong. Even though my preference is Chris Long Dorsey is a beast also, but realy isn't a need

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestShow99 View Post
    -- Kiper seemed pretty confident that the Miami Dolphins under new Executive Vice President of Football Operations Bill Parcells will take Boston College QB Matt Ryan with the No. 1 overall pick.

“If they don’t feel like John Beck is the right guy moving forward with, then they need to draft Matt Ryan,’’ Kiper said. “He drafted Drew Bledsoe up in New England, and I think Matt Ryan is the kind of quarterback that fits what Bill wants.

“Had they drafted Brady Quinn last instead of Ted Ginn (Jr.) last year, the previous administration, they wouldn’t be drafting Matt Ryan. Brady Quinn would their guy moving forward. Now instead of using that pick on another position or trading it, they are almost forced to take Matt Ryan.’’
    That is the most interesting thing to come out of this article, and again, it looks as if for this to happen Parcells and co must not be high on John Beck. Chris Long is still, to me, the guy who looks the part, big build, perfect for a 3-4, Parcells type player. Here's hoping Kiper is more on the ball than I think he is.

Drew is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    That is the most interesting thing to come out of this article, and again, it looks as if for this to happen Parcells and co must not be high on John Beck. Chris Long is still, to me, the guy who looks the part, big build, perfect for a 3-4, Parcells type player. Here's hoping Kiper is more on the ball than I think he is.
    the thing i thought about john beck from the get -go is his age.. he was 26 when they drafted him...to me a QB should be established in the position after 3-5 years prep by then....it`ll probably take him till hes in his 30`s before he gets to say where Eli is right now(in his own personal play not SB winner!) ,if atall....

its like us with KC he was what 25 when we drafted him...if he was 21 then he would have been our future,but he isnt that much younger than bruce who has a decade longer in the game...is always something to consider when drafting me thinks...

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I hope he's right and the Dolphins go for a franchise QB in the 1st. If I were a Dolphins fan I would want a QB too, they have none of the pieces required to be a good team, QB is the most crucial piece, you have to use your first to get the best QB in the draft and build around him. A defensive lineman is never going to turn around your franchise on his own like a QB sometimes can. I don't see a future star QB on the Dolphins roster right now.

We should take Chris Long and I'll be pissed off if the Dolphins take him. If we don't have a chance to take him and have to look at Gholston then look for a trade down, I don't think anybody is seeing Gholston at #2 as great value. Dorsey at #2 could be an option, and would give us a very solid inner D-line rotation between him, Carriker and Ryan, if Chris Long was gone and we took Dorsey I wouldn't complain. DE is such a huge need for us this year, damn I hope Chris Long will be available.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Kiper's not perfect, but he's still one of the best out there and looks to what a team really needs, and you can see that with his synopsis. He says we'll go D-line, and that our other needs are, in this order, WR, LB, and then O-line. He's the one guy who actually saw that it was injuries that killed the line, not the starters. And for that, I believe him when he thinks that the Phins are going QB. I know Parcells hasn't said anything about his roster, but come on, he's released everybody but defensive linemen, and Sparano has said nothing that I can tell about the QB going forward.

Again, for the Long/Dorsey debate, see my lecture in the who would you rather have thread, but the short version is: Carriker did well inside last year, and will only get stronger there. If we draft Dorsey, it makes the most sense to move Carriker back outside where he will have to be a bull rush end as opposed to a speed threat which is what we need. Now, Long isn't great with his first step, but he's quicker and more suited to play 4-3 end in the NFL. Teams are looking at him to be a rush LB in a 3-4 for goodness sakes! Long is the pick unless the Phins take him, at which point I think Dorsey should be the pick as he'll be dominant as well and we'll just have to get by with collapsing the hell out of the pocket.

Big-Dave314 is offline Registered User

i like long before dorsey but if we get dorsey instead thats still cool with me

Ramer is offline Registered User

I also would like too see us get Long over Dorsey. But I wouldn't be up set if we landed Dorsey, he's a beast.

BEER is offline Registered User

Talking Re: Kiper, Jr on the Rams on draft day

Does anyone think we need a QB, ...?I do. No one, and I mean No one
    respects the deep ball from Bulger. D plays man to man and close to
    scrimage aginst the Rams. We traded down and missed Cuttler to only
    get Tye?????.....One person can change a team, and im thinking QB...
    Last edited by BEER; -02-20-2008 at 05:28 PM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    Does anyone think we need a QB, ...I do. No one, and I mean No one
    The large can of WORMS was just opened!!!!

BEER is offline Registered User

Talking Re: Kiper, Jr on the Rams on draft day

I hope so. ^^^. I wish SL would log on to this site...

jquarando is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    Does anyone think we need a QB, ...?I do. No one, and I mean No one
    Im sure one of our espn insider friends can find this but KC joyner rated bulger as the best deep baller in the whole NFL so I dont know what you are talking about here. Also I think a big reason teams were stacking the line of scrimmage was because uhh oh yeah we had no offensive line.

Folks we dont need a qb and what has cutler done to warrant traveling back in time to draft him?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-19-2008, 11:38 PM