Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Kiper's 2/8/05 Mock Draft

MOCK DRAFT: Mel Kiper's Latest First-Round Projection | Feb. 8
    The Senior Bowl and Super Bowl have both come and gone, which means it's time to update my projections for the first round of the NFL draft.

Utah quarterback Alex Smith still looks like the No. 1 pick, but there are some new entries on the list. Washington offensive tackle Khalif Barnes, Troy outside linebacker Demarcus Ware and Georgia wide receiver Reggie Brown have all worked their way into the first round while LSU defensive end Marcus Spears makes his debut all the way up at No. 10.

In all, there are 11 underclassmen among my first 32 picks, including a pair of third-year sophomores. Auburn and Oklahoma each have three players on the list -- including two of the top 10 for the Tigers -- while Texas, USC, Florida State and Wisconsin all have two players on my firsr-round board.

Here's how they fall into order:

1. San Francisco *****: Alex Smith (jr.), QB, Utah
    A smart player who will pick up an NFL system quickly, Smith has good size, is mobile enough to hurt teams with his running ability and is also an efficient passer who can make all the necessary throws.

2. Miami Dolphins: Cedric Benson, RB, Texas
    A strong, tough runner with good speed for his size, Benson would help fill the void left by the retirement of Ricky Williams. But there is speculation the Dolphins will attempt to fill their running back need through trade, perhaps for Buffalo's Travis Henry, so stay tuned.

3. Cleveland Browns: Aaron Rodgers (jr.), QB, California
    Rodgers is a smart, accurate passer with a quick release. His arm strength is adequate and he is a better prospect at this point in his career than former Cal QB Kyle Boller, now the starter for the Baltimore Ravens.

4. Chicago Bears: Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan
    Edwards has the size, speed and athleticism to take over games, and he did that several times in 2004. He also significantly cut down on dropped passes and concentration lapses this past season, pushing his stock even higher.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Carnell Wiliams, RB, Auburn
    A creative, deceptive runner with tremendous natural skills. Williams can get tough yards inside despite lacking ideal size, a point illustrated by his 29 rushing TDs over the last two years. Was also coached by Tampa head coach Jon Gruden in the Senior Bowl.

6. Tennessee Titans: Adam Jones, CB, West Virginia
    A good cover man who will also contribute as a kick returner, Jones has very good closing speed and is a willing tackler in run support. That may be his most important quality with the NFL hurting pass defenses by focusing on downfield infractions by defensive backs.

7. Oakland Raiders: Dan Cody, DE, Oklahoma
    A fiery, intense player who always goes all-out, Cody is similar to former NFL standout Kevin Greene in his ability to play on his feet as an outside linebacker, or in a three-point stance as a defensive end.

8. Arizona Cardinals: Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn
    Perhaps the most complete back in the draft, Brown can carry or catch the ball with equal skill. He has size, instincts and quickness that allowed him to put up excellent numbers at the college level.

9. Washington Redskins: Mike Williams (jr.), WR, USC
    Williams did not play in 2004 but dominated the college game for two seasons while at USC. His 6-foot-5, 230-pound frame gives him a big advantage over defensive backs, and he has excellent hands. Would be a great help in the development of quarterback Patrick Ramsey and help take some pressure off Clinton Portis in the running game.

10. Detroit Lions: Marcus Spears, DE, LSU
    Spears boosted his stock immensely with an outstanding performance at the Senior Bowl. He showcased his speed, strength and athleticism against some of the best offensive linemen in the nation, and his size would make him a welcome addition for a team that needs to boost its pass rush.

11. Dallas Cowboys: Travis Johnson, DT, Florida State
    Spends a lot of time in opposing backfields after collapsing the pocket or gaining penetration against the run. Came on strong and raised his stock significantly during his senior year.

12. San Diego Chargers (from NYG): Derrick Johnson, OLB, Texas
    Has the speed and strength to chase ballcarriers from sideline to sideline and make things happen when he gets to the ball.

13. Houston Texans: Troy Williamson (jr.), WR, South Carolina
    Perhaps the fastest wideout in the draft, Williamson would be a nice complement to budding superstar and physical wideout Andre Johnson.

14. Carolina Panthers: Alex Barron, OT, Florida State
    With light feet for a player his size, Barron is a consistent blocker who is equally adept in both the pass and run games.

15. Kansas City Chiefs: Shawne Merriman (jr.), DE/OLB, Maryland
    A workout warrior who would help shore up a defensive line that had trouble pressuring the quarterback last season. Expect Kansas City to commit nearly its entire draft to the defensive side of the ball.

16. New Orleans Saints: Brodney Pool (jr.), S, Oklahoma
    A complete safety who excels in coverage and is more than adequate in run support, Pool has excellent size, covers a lot of ground and shows good anticipation in diagnosing plays.

17. Cincinnati Bengals: Roddy White, WR, UAB
    A big-play wideout who averaged 20.0 yards per catch last season, White's combination of size and speed is in the elite category.

18. Minnesota Vikings: Shaun Cody, DL, USC
    A versatile lineman who can play end or tackle, and was a leader on the nation's best rush defense..

19. St. Louis Rams: Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin
    Has to answer questions about his durability, but when healthy, James was a force along the line who commanded double-team blocks on a regular basis.

20. Dallas Cowboys (from BUF): Antrell Rolle, CB, Miami
    A good cover man who did not see a lot of balls thrown his way in 2004, Rolle was still a force in run support and is adept at blitzing off the corner.

21. Jacksonville Jaguars: Khalif Barnes, OT, Washington
    Another player who raised his stock at the Senior Bowl, where he answered questions about a wrist injury that sidelined him for the final six games of 2004. Excellent in both run and pass blocking and earned the respect of Iowa DE Matt Roth at the Senior Bowl, with Roth calling Barnes the best tackle he faced all season.

22. Baltimore Ravens: Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma
    Has excellent speed and is one of the best in years at running after the catch, making Clayton a big-play threat who would give young QB Kyle Boller another option on the outside.

23. Seattle Seahawks: Matt Roth, DE, Iowa
    A tremendous natural pass rusher who has fire and intensity, Roth's outstanding consistency this season helped raise his stock.

24. Green Bay Packers: Thomas Davis (jr.), OLB, Georgia
    A punishing tackler who played safety in college, Davis has the size and speed to become a force in the front seven at the pro level.

25. Denver Broncos: Demarcus Ware, OLB, Troy
    Needs to add a little bulk to his frame, but his quickness would give a boost to a Denver pass rush that was lackluster in 2004.

26. New York Jets: Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn
    A physical player who is an asset in run support and also has the speed to be an outstanding cover man. Rogers was the best player on a very good Auburn defense thanks to his consistency and durability.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Brandon Browner (so.), CB, Oregon State
    With his good size and speed, Browner is a consistent cover man who would be a nice complement to last year's top pick, fellow CB D'Angelo Hall.

28. San Diego Chargers: Roscoe Parrish (jr.), WR, Miami
    A speedy guy who would round out a receiving corps bolstered this season by the addition of Keenan McCardell and the emergence of TE Antonio Gates. Parrish would also be an asset in the return game.

29. Indianapolis Colts: Anttaj Hawthorne, DT, Wisconsin
    His combination of size, strength and athleticism make Hawthorne an ideal 4-3 defensive tackle. He knows how to handle double-team blocks and can create lost-yardage plays.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers: Heath Miller (jr.), TE, Virginia
    A tremendous pass receiver and a willing blocker along the line, Miller would give young quarterback Ben Roethlisberger another weapon to complement his wide receivers and also be a help to the Pittsburgh running game.

31. Philadelphia Eagles: Reggie Brown, WR, Georgia
    Has excellent size and hands and gained plenty of attention with a good Senior Bowl showing. Would be a nice addition to a receiving corps led by Terrell Owens.

32. New England Patriots: Channing Crowder (so.), MLB, Florida
    Crowder immediately became one of the best linebackers in college after setting foot on campus. He has all the skills and instincts to be a tremendous middle linebacker at the next level.

Borderline first-rounders

The players below are on the very fringe of the first round and depending on how things shake down some, all or none of them could ultimately end up being taken off the board in the first 31 selections:

Darryl Blackstock, OLB, Virginia
    Jammal Brown, OT, Oklahoma
    Jason Campbell, QB, Auburn
    Charlie Frye, QB, Akron
    Bryant McFadden, CB, Florida State
    David Pollack, DE, Georgia
    Justin Tuck (jr.), DE, Notre Dame

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Kiper's 2/8/05 Mock Draft

19. St. Louis Rams: Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin
    Has to answer questions about his durability, but when healthy, James was a force along the line who commanded double-team blocks on a regular basis.

20. Dallas Cowboys (from BUF): Antrell Rolle, CB, Miami
    A good cover man who did not see a lot of balls thrown his way in 2004, Rolle was still a force in run support and is adept at blitzing off the corner.
    Quick someone call 9-1-1. Avenger just read that we passed on Rolle and is convulsing on the floor. Hurry, I think he's about to swallow his tongue! :O
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I'm quite sure that Mel Kiper's spleen knows more about the NFL draft than I will ever know, but I still have to question some of his picks. Is Alex Smith really the #1? I can't see the niners passing on a good ol' NoCal boy like Rodgers. And the Titans going CB with the 6 pick....does this mean Samari Rolle is gone, especially since they're passing on his brother? Derrick Johnson falls to 12? Barnes at 21, but Jamaal Brown falls out of the 1st round entirely? Barron falls to 14? But on a sidenote, the Panthers O-line would become much improved with Jordan Gross and Alex Barron as their bookend tackles.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Kiper is absolutely nuts if he thinks that Antrel Rolle will be available after the top 10 picks. The guy is going to be a Pro Bowl player within 2 years of being drafted.

Of course, he has an easy out in that Rolle has not been "measured" yet. When he is, and he runs a 4.45 or better (remember, Rolle is a big CB who is over 6' and 200 lbs), he'll vault on Kiper's board.

Also, if both Alex Barron and Derrick Johnson are still there after 11 picks, I hope the Rams would have the sense to trade up and grab one of them.

Finally, lest anyone might begin thinking I'm just a Hurricane Homer, there is NO WAY Roscoe Parrish should or will be taken in the first round of the draft. He's a 3rd rounder at best.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

If we have the chance to take Antrel Rolle and we don't, I will personally travel to the draft, and take over the Rams, Dolph Lundgren style. Coup anybody?

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

does this mean Samari Rolle is gone, especially since they're passing on his brother?
    Samari Rolle will be a cap casualty and they're not brothers. If I'm not mistaken they're not even related.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    Samari Rolle will be a cap casualty and they're not brothers. If I'm not mistaken they're not even related.
    They're not related, but they did go to the same high school in Miami. I'd take the two of them as my starting CBs next year!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    They're not related, but they did go to the same high school in Miami. I'd take the two of them as my starting CBs next year!
    No kidding! They went to the same schools, same position, same name, I made an assumption. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger
    Kiper is absolutely nuts if he thinks that Antrel Rolle will be available after the top 10 picks.
    I thought that might set you off. :redface:

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Quick someone call 9-1-1. Avenger just read that we passed on Rolle and is convulsing on the floor. Hurry, I think he's about to swallow his tongue! :O
    While your at it have the bus swing by upstate NY. No way Rolle drops to #20.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Some of the things I disagree with...

-Still don't think Alex Smith is a first overall pick.

-With Crennel going to Cleveland, I'd expect them to take a defensive player with their first round pick. Rolle or Johnson would be a great selection for Cleveland.

-Kiper has consistently overrated Pacman Jones, and I can't help but ask why. There's no way he goes above Rolle, and I doubt he goes in the top six.

-The Cowboys are contemplating a switch to the 3-4... and pass on Derrick Johnson, who falls out of the top ten? Not buying it, Mel.

-The Texans passing on the best left tackle in the draft?

-Cincy needs defensive help more than another receiver.

-I don't like Kiper having us pick James, but I guess he's assuming we don't resign Fisher and Little is going to miss time. Still, much better picks are left on the board.

-Barnes off the board before Brown? Umm, someone is REALLY taking the Senior Bowl into consideration.

-Seahawks need linebacker help more than DE.

-Kiper overrates Roscoe Parrish as well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Some of the things I disagree with...

-Still don't think Alex Smith is a first overall pick.

-With Crennel going to Cleveland, I'd expect them to take a defensive player with their first round pick. Rolle or Johnson would be a great selection for Cleveland.

-Kiper has consistently overrated Pacman Jones, and I can't help but ask why. There's no way he goes above Rolle, and I doubt he goes in the top six.

-The Cowboys are contemplating a switch to the 3-4... and pass on Derrick Johnson, who falls out of the top ten? Not buying it, Mel.

-The Texans passing on the best left tackle in the draft?

-Cincy needs defensive help more than another receiver.

-I don't like Kiper having us pick James, but I guess he's assuming we don't resign Fisher and Little is going to miss time. Still, much better picks are left on the board.

-Barnes off the board before Brown? Umm, someone is REALLY taking the Senior Bowl into consideration.

-Seahawks need linebacker help more than DE.

-Kiper overrates Roscoe Parrish as well.
    So we agree then...the hair gel fumes have eaten Kiper's gray matter.