Thread: Kirwan's NFL Mock Draft - 03/04/2014

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Kirwan's NFL Mock Draft - 03/04/2014

NFL Mock Draft - 03/04/2014
    By Pat Kirwan
    CBSSports.com National NFL Insider

Round 1
    1. Houston Texans (2-14)
    Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina: His 4.53-second 40 was impressive and with JJ Watt on the other side the Texans may just get to Indy QB Andrew Luck enough to win the division in a year or two. Seattle won it all with a great defense and a young QB. The Texans can get a good QB prospect in the next few rounds.

2. Cleveland Browns (from St. Louis via Washington) (4-12)
    Blake Bortles, QB, UCF: The Browns passed on Ben Roethlisberger when he was coming out. If Houston doesn't take Bortles they have the fire power to move up and get him.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars (4-12)
    Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville: Johnny Manziel is the popular choice here, to sell seats, but Bridgewater is a more sensible choice and he has accuracy like Russell Wilson.

4. St. Louis Rams (from Cleveland) (7-9)
    Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M: Lots of speculation that the Rams will take Greg Robinson, which would be a fine pick, but Jeff Fisher and the Matthews family go back a long way and Jake can play just as well as Robinson.

5. Oakland Raiders (4-12)
    Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M: Can?t you just see Johnny Football in a Raiders uniform, running around and making plays and the "Black Hole" going crazy in their Manziel gear?

6. Atlanta Falcons (4-12)
    Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn: A great pick and a 10-year starter protecting Matt Ryan's blind side. If it were me I would move up to get him.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12)
    Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson: Watkins is a southwest Florida kid and the best receiver in the draft. Mike Glennon will have a great set of receivers.

8. Minnesota Vikings (5-10-1)
    Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo: The Vikings need pass rushers if Jared Allen and Everson Griffen don't return. As for a QB, take a look at the bottom of the first round.

9. Buffalo Bills (6-10)
    Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan: Doug Marone is an offensive line coach by trade and he knows 6-foot-8 offensive tackles with athletic ability and a nasty streak don't come along that often. EJ Manuel will be better with Lewan on the field.

10. Detroit Lions (7-9)
    Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State: Gilbert had a great combine and is an impressive player on tape as well as in an interview.

11. Tennessee Titans (7-9)
    Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State: Corner Alterran Verner is a free agent. If he leaves, the Titans will need an instant starter.

12. New York Giants (7-9)
    Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA: The Giants might consider a tackle like Zach Martin here, but Barr?s two-year production at UCLA plays into the Giants' drafting tendencies. Opposite a healthy Jason Pierre-Paul, Barr could see double-digit sacks as a rookie.

13. St. Louis Rams (7-9)
    Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M: It will be hard for Jeff Fisher to pass on a 6-foot-5 receiver who has soft hands and a 37-inch vertical leap.

14. Chicago Bears (8-8)
    Hasean Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama: Nothing has changed here in a week. The Bears have to replace Chris Conte at safety.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8)
    Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville: I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers take a defensive lineman like Kony Ealy here, but the hard-hitting safety fills a need as well.

16. Dallas Cowboys (8-8)
    Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh: The Cowboys will be very lucky if Donald lasts until their spot. Donald was made to play in Rod Marinelli's defense. He reminds me of John Randle on the field.

17. Baltimore Ravens (8-8)
    C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama: The Ravens could use a receiver, but there will be good receivers later in the draft or in free agency. Ozzie Newsome is an Alabama guy and he knows he can build the defense around this young man.

18. New York Jets (8-8)
    Marqise Lee, WR, Southern California: The Jets need two wide receivers and Lee is a very good place to start. Had he not been injured last season, he would have been in the top-10 discussion.

19. Miami Dolphins (8-8)
    Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame: Miami needs offensive linemen, and maybe this time they get the right "Martin" on the left side.

20. Arizona Cardinals (10-6)
    Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State: The Cardinals play hybrid defense. So, even though they are listed as a 3-4 and Jernigan is perceived as a 4-3 tackle, they will utilize his skills. Jernigan would be a rotational player as a rookie and take on a starting role in 2015.

21. Green Bay Packers (8-7-1)
    Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina: With Jermichael Finley in free agency, a tight end who has vertical skills like Ebron would make Green Bay's offense very dangerous. The Packers need defensive-line help and could consider Ra'Shede Hageman here.

22. Philadelphia Eagles (10-6)
    Ra'shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota: At some point in the first round the best available athlete drives the bus. Hageman is a 6-6, 315-pound athlete who needs to be more consistent.

23. Kansas City Chiefs (11-5)
    Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU: This is the first time I've put Beckham in the first round, but after interviewing him this week and hearing SEC defensive players tell me he was the best they faced, it was time.

24. Cincinnati Bengals (11-5)
    Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech: Fuller had a solid combine and is a big corner. The Bengals' Leon Hall finished on IR and Adam Jones and Terrence Newman can't play forever.

25. San Diego Chargers (9-7)
    Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri: Another example of the best player available. I have had Ealy as high as No. 15 to Pittsburgh. There's always room for big, strong down lineman.

26. Cleveland Browns (from Indianapolis) (4-12)
    Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State: The Browns released D'Qwell Jackson, a middle linebacker who had 140 tackles last season. They stay in-state with their second pick in the first round.

27. New Orleans Saints (11-5)
    Dee Ford, DE, Auburn: Rob Ryan can work with lots of different types of players. Ford has pass rush skills and is athletic enough to drop into coverage.

28. Carolina Panthers (12-4)
    Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama: Pro Bowl tackle Jordan Gross retired. Maybe Kouandjio starts out on the right side, but eventually he'll be a left tackle.

29. New England Patriots (12-4)
    Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame: Nix has been higher in my mock drafts, but I have watched some game tapes that create some doubt. At this spot, the Patriots would be glad to get this big space eater, considering Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly were on IR last year.

30. San Francisco ***** (12-4)
    Jason Verrett, CB, TCU: Verrett is short of my 2014 standards but he is a very good CB, and it could mean the end for Carlos Rogers.

31. Denver Broncos (13-3)
    Stephon Tuitt, DT, Notre Dame: The Broncos could use some big people up front and passing on Tuitt here probably means they have little chance for a big athlete later in the draft.

32. Minnesota Vikings (from Seattle) (5-10-1)
    Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State: Always look for the Seahawks to do something different and will not take a player for the sake of taking someone. This pick is valuable to teams looking for a quarterback who don't want to go past the first round without one. We will see teams manipulate their way up to the top of the second round.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Kirwan's NFL Mock Draft - 03/04/2014

Love the idea of a trade down to No. 4, and love the picks, but I hate it when sportswriters publish mocks that include trades and don't include a projection of what the trade will yield.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

So Kirwan has us trading with the Browns. Dropping from the 2nd pick to the 4th. I wish he would have predicted what we received from this trade.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

It's annoying he didn't project it because we could have picked up Josh Gordon or Joe Thomas in that trade, making our first rounders a bit rubbish!

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Great picks IMO, two huge needs filled with some great players. I'd prefer Robinson but Matthews will probably have the better rookie year due to his superior pass blocking. I doubt Evans lasts until the 13th pick but if he does I hope the Rams snatch him up quick.
    Last edited by Vinnie25; -03-07-2014 at 09:04 PM.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

punahou is offline Registered User

I Too like this mock OT + #1WR= perfect

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    It's annoying he didn't project it because we could have picked up Josh Gordon or Joe Thomas in that trade, making our first rounders a bit rubbish!
    I think that it's safe to say that we didn't pick up Thomas or Gordon and then pick up players at the same position. But as with everyone else, yes, it'd be nice to know what we got. In my mind, I'd like to dream that we got #4, their 2nd rounder this year and then their #1 next year. Not quite the RGIII reaping, but Bortles is not exactly him either.
    I believe!

Haste is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post

Imagine if we could trade our #2 pick to the Browns at #4 + Josh Gordon (Not sure what else we would have to throw in) , Then go #4 to #6 with Atlanta to recoup what pick(s) we lost in the Browns trade.

At #6 we select whoever happens to be on our board (Matthews/Robinson).

Then at #13 take Safety or Corner based on FA.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Agree with Vinne25, love the picks, but doubt Evans lasts until #13. I really would love to see us grab him with our earlier pick and have Lewan at #13.

Go Rams!

P.S. I think Kirwan is smoking something pretty good with some of these picks.
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -03-07-2014 at 03:52 PM.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

I'm in agreement with most of the posts. If he is going to throw in trades, at the least show a 2 round draft mock! Then the logic behind the moves can be validated or rejected.

If we can get Gilbert or Dennard at 13 I be happy with this, and think that has more of a chance of happening than Evans being there(any of those 3 I would take, maybe Donald too) Again though it depends what we receive for the trade.