Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    keith m. klink Guest

KLINK'S mock # III

First could be the toughest round to be picking today . We know who the top 4-5 guy's we would really want , C. LONG - J. LONG - DORSEY - GOLSTON . but who is worth our #2 pick and who is the target . honestly i thought it would be black and white , and it just isn't that easy for me anymore . all 4 have a great deal to bring too the RAMS , but after the 1st pick by MIAMI which is just as big a mystery as how BUSH got to become president . so i'll give it a try ... AGAIN ....

1ST # 2 -DE- C. LONG ..or.. V. GHOLSTON .. with the emergence of VG it seems he has brought some attention from the AFC east FINS and JETS. which ever is not taken by MIAMI better be headed to the ARCHWAY, quick . either one is fine with me , but i prefer C. LONG still .

2ND #33- DE/OLB - Q. GROVES ... don't shoot it down yet , again we grabbed offense this year like last year in FA so far. Well just think of this as either DE or LB depth . but just think of him coming in with either LONG or GHOLSTON , he would instantly push L. LITTLE to start . IF you don't think so thats o.k.

3RD #65- SS- C. STELTZ... WE need another hitting playmaker in the backfield, although not a fast player , he just makes play all the time . AND i know that is 3 straight defense. i would like a receiver also , but it wouldn't be to start , we need players that can start at the first 3 picks this year .

4TH #97- FB- O. SCHMITT...Yes we do , just ask JACKSON, for that matter just ask B.LEONARD.

5TH #129- WR- K. BARTON...at 6-1' and 200 , he could be a fine pickup to make the team as a late pick , and the RAMS will wait till next year to grab the new star WR with their pick in rd 1 .

6TH #161- C- K. LEIGHTENSTEIGER.. We need a little more help with some depth to our center possition. with ROMBERG up in the air and FRY looking too be maybe moved to guard , and the option of either SETTERSTROM or COGNITO moving into the center role .another diamond needs to be found . and he just has a football name ..

6TH #170- QB- M. FLYNN....Has good arm and mechanics so far , just a 3rd or practice team QB but has the size and tools to develope into a very good QB . anyway , BERLIN isn't it , is he now . FLYNN is better right now .

7TH #208- S/LB- W. WOODYARD .... he is just a player . we need players with heart . think of CULBERSON 's pickup last year as a FA , and just slide in a 7th rd pick for another steal .

Yes there is an odd crazy thinking going on in my head , that the RAMS need to focus on the task of loading the DEFENSE this year. i know you might want a WR in the top 2-3 rounds , but we need starters , and a new WR won't . it's that simple . 1st rd - STARTER day 1 , 2nd rd - STARTER day 1 , 3rd rd - STARTER/SUB first day . after that we can find some sub and depth position players .

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: KLINK'S mock # III

Hmmm. Great Mock.

I too agree, yet many disagree, that we don't need Dorsey. I'm sorry, bash on my comment, but he's not a need.

I would love to have Long or Gholston in the first round. Then take Groves in the second. I do believe he would push Little a bit more. And when Little decides to retire, we have a young player to take his place.

I don't know much on Steltz to say he would be a starter however. I don't really know his play.

FB. We need one. Leonard isn't cutting it.

chiguy is offline Registered User

You fall apart after round #1. If we really draft a DE in the first round there is no way on God's green earth that the second pick isn't either an OT or a WR. We need another tackle in the worst way and if we've already addressed the pass rush in round one, we'll move on because we won't have two rookies starting at DE. Heck, I'll be livid if they draft a "depth" player in round two. Whomever that person is, they need to have a chance to start.

Also, #4 is waaaaaayyyyyyy to high for a fullback who is basically a blocking back. He'll likely be a good one, but its too far down on our list of needs to warrant a selection that high. You'd not be getting good value on your pick and you'd not be addressing needs.

I also think its doubtful we'll draft another center with Fry on the roster.

keith m. klink Guest

OH , so i guess that when a team NEEDS help at DE , there is absolutely no possible way that they would draft the same position 2 rounds in a row . i know it is a radical idea , but the rams can be the first to do it . WAIT , teams do this all the time when they need more than one player at that position .

and take another look , if we drafted GROVES , and he was put in as the starter in CHILLARS place , now is it a stupid idea , in you mind yes . so i tell you what , live in your perfect world with your perfect draft , and see how close you get .

i would be knocked on my ars if the rams walked away with LONG/ GHOLSTON and GROVES with the first 2 picks . The GIANTS don't seen to have a problem with stacking DE's , but since the RAMS cut 2 and signed none , i guess it's not so much a need as the TACKLE possition where we just signed 2 depth players that both can play tackle .

why would you not want a safety brought in that could start on day one with a 3rd pick , but you would rather take a #3 -#4 receiver or a rookie T that will be a rotational sub WHEN he learns the system . yea your right , after the 1st round this mock is just about the worse one i've ever seen on this site .

sorry CHIGUY , you pick all the players you want for each round and i'll make sure the rams pick your players .

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Sorry Klink, but chiguy could be right. There are way too many holes to fill to go defense back to back in rounds 1 and 2. I wouldn't mind it, and see the logic but it just won't happen.

This draft is one of the best WR drafts in quite awhile, so I feel the Rams go WR in round 2 or at least before round 5.

Who knows though? If Budweiser wins the catering contract, we could get a RB in Round 1.

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    OH , so i guess that when a team NEEDS help at DE , there is absolutely no possible way that they would draft the same position 2 rounds in a row . i know it is a radical idea , but the rams can be the first to do it . WAIT , teams do this all the time when they need more than one player at that position .
    Like last year when the Rams drafted 3 defensive tackles. However, those teams don't do it in the first 2 rounds when they also need help all over the place.

and take another look , if we drafted GROVES , and he was put in as the starter in CHILLARS place , now is it a stupid idea , in you mind yes . so i tell you what , live in your perfect world with your perfect draft , and see how close you get .
    I'm the one living in a "perfect [nee: unrealistic] world"? No offense, but get a grip. Seeing that our top three needs are DE, OT, and WR, I don't see why you think its odd that I think we'll draft those three positions in the first three rounds. How good would a good pass rush be if our QB is still getting crushed and we don't have anyone to catch the ball?

i would be knocked on my ars if the rams walked away with LONG/ GHOLSTON and GROVES with the first 2 picks . The GIANTS don't seen to have a problem with stacking DE's , but since the RAMS cut 2 and signed none , i guess it's not so much a need as the TACKLE possition where we just signed 2 depth players that both can play tackle .
    Save the Giants metaphor, because they are better down the whole roster than the Rams are. It is just a ridiculous comparison. If we didn't have a need anywhere else on the roster, then I say "tally ho...draft a DE in every round and let's find some who can play." That's not the Rams situation.

The Rams cut James Hall. I don't recall them cutting any other DE. And by your logic, the fact that we have depth players on the DE and will undoubtedly draft on in the first two rounds means we don't need another (its your logic, not mine).

You're not paying attention if you don't think they need another tackle. Pace is near the end, Barron is average, Goldberg is an emergency tackle, and Gorin is a guard.

why would you not want a safety brought in that could start on day one with a 3rd pick , but you would rather take a #3 -#4 receiver or a rookie T that will be a rotational sub WHEN he learns the system .
    Why do you assume someone like James Hardy wouldn't get more playing time than a safety? The Rams have made it clear that Chavous is the starter, barring some sort of complete miracle. I don't disagree that we need one, but given how pathetic our offense was compared to our defense I think a 3rd WR who *will* see the field makes more sense than a 3rd safety in a class that is weak on safeties. You're more likely to find the next Jerome Carter than the next O.J. Atogwe, who by the way has exactly one decent season under his belt.

sorry CHIGUY , you pick all the players you want for each round and i'll make sure the rams pick your players .
    If you don't want to hear criticism, don't post your thoughts on an internet site. Duh. So, you can save the sarcasm.

Ok, easy now you two. We can discuss this logically without everyone getting their dander up.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

we need to get OL help before the 6th round

You'll know when my dander is up.

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    You'll know when my dander is up.

Well, be that as it may, civility is something we strive for here ok?

Now, let's continue shall we?

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

I like the idea of getting back to back DE's. Although, I would probably go with Jackson over Groves. But, I would definately go WR in round 3. This team needs some one with wheels in a bad way. Could turn a weakness (DE position) into a strength. This team is in desperate need of a pass rush. Hopefully, one of the OT's rated at 3rd talent slips to the 4th.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

I think you are on the right track Klink, but like they say Rome wasn't built in a day but the first brick was laid. It's going to take 2 drafts or 3 including last years to get the Rams back where they need to be.

That being said and with this being a very deep WR draft, do the Rams possible take a WR earlier than 5?

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    It's going to take 2 drafts or 3 including last years to get the Rams back where they need to
    My sentiments exactly. It's nice to hope and pray that the Rams will be a power next year but realistically, they have way too many holes to fill at the starting team level to be a true contender. Good teams have solid starters with good depth. Unfortunately, we have some depth and some solid starters. This draft won't be able to do it all, and counting on June releases to put the cherry on top is a pipe dream. June releases will give us more depth, but no frontline starters.

If the drafts and FA acquisitions are done right, the Rams can be a power again in 2009. IMO the Rams are .500 at best this year.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Well, be that as it may, civility is something we strive for here ok?

Now, let's continue shall we?
    I guess I'm saying I was civil. I didn't tell him I thought the draft was stupid or anything, just that it didn't make much sense. I didn't ascribe what i saw as the silliness of the draft as a personal failing or anything.

keith m. klink Guest

Iknow chiGUY is just adding his thought's too it , but i've seen some of the worst and i mean THE WORST draft and free agent deals brought up on here and people just think they are peach pie. ( mmm good ) .

i'm just trying to come at this without the old , WHAT IF , WHAT IT WHAT IF .

of course the RAMS won't take a DE in round 1 and 2 .they wouldn't double the same possition 2 rounds in a row in any rounds . the RAMS mostly seem to pick in a system of O - D - O -D - O -D . that seems to ensure we get the same amount of players on each side . but here is one for all of you . let's say the RAMS draft like this

1- OT
    2- WR
    3- S
    4- LB
    5- DE
    6 - QB
    6 -C
    7- DT
    How would that sit with everyone . to me it seems that if someone doesn't think that the RAMS have to get either a DE or T IN ROUND 1 , and the one that didn't get picked would be a throw up with WR in round 2 , and then we should get blah blah blah . it's not that simple , or maybe i am !

A nd i'm just returning a thought for CHIguy , not a hate message or anything because i do really respect the opinions of you guy's , and this was my argument .

1 , IF we don't draft a speed receiver in rd #2 , our QB will be crushed because ( HOLT - BENNETT and the rest of the WR's can't catch it since BRUCE left town , and what . maybe we should get a wr in round 1 . but i said we would go get the new #1 next year . and A good pass rush is worth a few good picks .

2, The GIANTS metaphor , you mean building a brick wall of DE , yes the GIANT'S have that market cornered.

as for the DE's and the depth you say . i'll tell ya what the RAMS cut HALL and TREV JOHNSON and in my book that leaves L. LITTLE - V. ADEYANJU - and little used backup MOORE . you tell me who you have on the team to play DE. thats my logic , this is great depth we have huh?

If PACE - BARRON - and everyone else playing tackle either is dying or they suck , we better draft a TACKLE in both rounds 1-2 , what was i thinking about grabbing 2 DE ?
    AND GORIN plays both positions and HE played TACKLE last year didn't he ? i thought he did !

3 , If the RAMS need a #3- or #4 receiver more than they need a new safety than i must kmow nothing of what it takes to win a football game . and where do you plan to grab HARDY , is he reserved for us in the 2nd rd .

a safety in the 2-3 round range is going to get much more playing time at safety since we have CHAVOUS - ATAGWE - JOHNSON and thats pretty much it . if your fine with that setup , SURE , a 5th or 6th rd SAFETY would be just fine

And as for sarcasm , if the helmet fits !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast