Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: KLINK'S mock # III

But we're not going to be champions of anything this year. If that makes me sound like a bad fan, so be it. It's going to take EASILY 2 drafts to make this team the GSOT again.

Who knows, we could be contending next season, not participating. But we won't be a great team. Sure, we WILL do better than the past 2 years.

I know, you guys think signing two DE's back to back would be a dumb idea, sure, you guys are probably right. I think however, having two DE's would give us one solid starter, and a back up who can play LB and be Little's back up. When Little decides to call it quits here, we won't stress out about having to draft a new DE when we already have two young ones.

As for Safety, we all know that Chavous is going to be the starter. Like mentioned several times before, this class of safety's are not that great. Sure, there might be a few good ones, sure it might be worth going for, but I don't expect him to start. Unfortunately. I'm not saying I love Chavous and want him to be a starter, he had a bad season. The whole team was bad last year.

Wide receiver should be our #3 pick. We need one. There isnt really much to say about this position.

Is this what the Rams will do? Ofcourse not.

I do believe that the Rams will go DE in the first round. If our home boy Chris Long isnt there, its going to be Jake Long. With Groves in the second round.

I won't complain if the first pick is DE or Jake Long. Anything out of that, and I'll be upset.

If I could have imput into this draft, I would say:

DE
    OT
    WR

in order.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I do see the logic in taking Groves. If we draft a balanced defensive end like Chris Long for one end, it might make sense to try to get a speedier guy for the other side. On the other hand, I think the chances of us taking Groves after Ghoulston are much lower since both are perceived to be workout warriors with great speed but not great size who might be better fits for outside linebacker in the 3-4. I don't really see us taking two guys who bring essentially the same skill set one after the other.

It also seems to me that this draft is shaping up with an abundance of receivers all graded late first round/early second talents. So potentially there might be better value available there.

I wouldn't mind picking up a safety like Steltz (or Zbikowski) in round three, but again I don't know what the value will be like there. It seems like a lot of people think this is a pretty weak safety class. We could also look for Tyrell Johnson, the kid from Arkansas State, if he is available later in the draft.

Well Goldenfleece, I do agree with you...if Tom Zbikowski is there in the 3 round...it would be nice to get him...but will they....i doubt it.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

S is a big need (not bigger than DE, OT, or WR in IMO), but I think the organization is content with the O.J. Chavous combo with Johnson and Carter as good depth. I think we will dive into next years potentially very deep S class to find Chavous' replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    S is a big need (not bigger than DE, OT, or WR in IMO), but I think the organization is content with the O.J. Chavous combo with Johnson and Carter as good depth. I think we will dive into next years potentially very deep S class to find Chavous' replacement.
    Exactly. We should get WR this year and worry about S next year.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    Iknow chiGUY is just adding his thought's too it , but i've seen some of the worst and i mean THE WORST draft and free agent deals brought up on here and people just think they are peach pie. ( mmm good ) .
    Not me, but I digress...

let's say the RAMS draft like this

1- OT
    2- WR
    3- S
    4- LB
    5- DE
    6 - QB
    6 -C
    7- DT

How would that sit with everyone .
    I can't speak for "everyone," but I'd be ticked unless there is some crazy run on defensive ends such that there are no quality players there in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

1 , IF we don't draft a speed receiver in rd #2 , our QB will be crushed because ( HOLT - BENNETT and the rest of the WR's can't catch it since BRUCE left town , and what . maybe we should get a wr in round 1 . but i said we would go get the new #1 next year . and A good pass rush is worth a few good picks .
    How is drafting 2 straight DEs and a WR in the 3rd (your original draft) commensurate with what you're saying here? And there is no -- absolutely no -- evidence to suggest that Holt is somehow going to stop catching passes all of sudden. He isn't who he was three years ago, but he's still darned good.

No one disagrees we need a pass rush. But you can't pursue it to the point that you ignore other areas of need where there are quality picks that meet those needs iin rounds two and three. That's how the draft works -- meet value as best as possible with need. You don't reach for need, but you don't ignore it either. Your draft lacked balance at the top; you *never* see that in the NFL.

2, The GIANTS metaphor , you mean building a brick wall of DE , yes the GIANT'S have that market cornered.
    I'm not sure I follow, but my point was that you can't compare the Giants and Rams. The Giants have those defensive linemen because they've been building them up for a few years. Rome wasn't built over night, as the saying goes.

as for the DE's and the depth you say . i'll tell ya what the RAMS cut HALL and TREV JOHNSON and in my book that leaves L. LITTLE - V. ADEYANJU - and little used backup MOORE . you tell me who you have on the team to play DE. thats my logic , this is great depth we have huh?
    I didn't realize Johnson was cut, but he wasn't anything special. Is it great depth? Actually the problem is that we have plenty of depth players and not enough quality starters. Adeyanju is a nice run down player who is good when used effectively; Moore has done well in situational roles. Carricker can slide over in some situations (as we saw last year) and be effective. So depth isn't the problem. The problem is starters. But we aren't going to find two starters right away and the team has clearly banked on Little having something left in the tank. So a high level pick at this position makes sense. So does a lower round, depth/situational pick. Two picks in a row at the top...not so much.

If PACE - BARRON - and everyone else playing tackle either is dying or they suck , we better draft a TACKLE in both rounds 1-2 , what was i thinking about grabbing 2 DE ?
    AND GORIN plays both positions and HE played TACKLE last year didn't he ? i thought he did
    See, this is the problem -- you see a need, assume the worst case scenario, and then overreact (WE GOTTA DRAFT TWO LINEMEN!!!!) If a real NFL team ran itself that way, they'd...well, they'd be the Cardinals for most of their tenure in St. Loouis.

Gorin can play some tackle, but he's a guard first and foremost. If we have the injuries we had last year, our line is going to stink no matter what. If we didn't have the injuries, though, it was still clear we needed to upgrade talent all across the offensive line. It hasn't performed well as a unit in four years. We've taken some steps in that direction (brought back the best depth players...nothing wrong with Gorin as the 4th guard, signed Bell, likely draft a tackle). That's sensible.

3 , If the RAMS need a #3- or #4 receiver more than they need a new safety than i must kmow nothing of what it takes to win a football game . and where do you plan to grab HARDY , is he reserved for us in the 2nd rd .
    I don't have a problem with us grabbing a safety because Chavous is mediocre. However, I'd say that safety falls below WR on the need list because of Bennett's underperformance and our struggles scoring last year -- the defense was far better than the offense, Chavous' problems notwithstanding. If a great safety falls to you in #2 or #3, you probably look hard at him...but you don't take him if there is a WR of equal or higher value at the same slot if you haven't already drafted one.

And I still contend a decent 3rd receiver is probably more important this season than replacing Chavous, even with all of his flaws. If we can get any kind of pass rush (DE in the first two rounds) and start scoring, Chavous' flaws won't look nearly as bad as they did last year when one bad play on defense was enough to lose the game.

a safety in the 2-3 round range is going to get much more playing time at safety since we have CHAVOUS - ATAGWE - JOHNSON and thats pretty much it . if your fine with that setup , SURE , a 5th or 6th rd SAFETY would be just fine
    Why would a back up safety see more time on the field than the 3rd receiver, especially in an offense that will use a lot of 3 receiver sets? How often did we see Johnson on the field when both of our starters were healthy (hint: hardly ever).

And as for sarcasm , if the helmet fits !
    Yeah, it didn't fit.

keith m. klink Guest

CHIguy , i get your side , and i totally understand where your coming from . i pokin ya just a little ya know , ya know that right . i know the RAMS CAN'T draft like we all want them to draft . even if we come up with some wild thought 's and share them even though we know it's a total dung heep , but we wish stupid stuff sometimes .

I really don't think the RAMS are going to draft the way we want . Some will be happy and some furious at their picks this yearbut we do want them to be great again .

What i was trying to bring to light was why is my version so out of bounds , i thought i made some good points and some good selections . but i wasn't talking future drafts or 2 or 3 drafts . LINEHAN has this year not 2 or 3 more drafts . I want bang for the bucks , and the bucks start on the LINES .

if we were to draft a tackle , who's to say the rams don't have plans for PACE - BARRON - STEUSSIE to be the top 3 and maybe a late 6th or 7th for a Tackle .
    Why is it we have to have one in the top 2 or 3 rounds .

i 'm just saying , some of my picks i thought could help this year, thats all . and no hostility tward you or anyone .

so we'll see what we see in april , and hope that the picks made ( even if they were not our own ) will be of highest value and really help the team on it's way .

NEW MOCK DRAFT COMING SOON , BETCHA CAN'T WAIT MEN.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy
    I didn't realize Johnson was cut
    That's because, he wasn't cut. He's a free agent, but he wasn't cut. And actually there are four DEs on the current roster....Little, Vic, Moore, & CJ Ah You.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

chiguy is offline Registered User

In that case, it reiterates my point...we don't need more "depth," we need at least one starter.

keith m. klink Guest

AH YOU , i see , I didn't see him on the RAMS new roster . with BROWN , BELL and BECHT . Maybe he's on the practice squad ? i remember seeing him there earlier , maybe last week or so . But DONAVAN RIOLA was on the squad with AH YOU and RIOLA is on the roster as a CENTER with FRY and no sign of AH YOU . but thats cool , we all know that camp bodies are needed.

it was surprising to me that they had on the roster , PACE - BARRON at LT , and GORIN and GOLDBERG at RT.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    AH YOU , i see , I didn't see him on the RAMS new roster . with BROWN , BELL and BECHT . Maybe he's on the practice squad ? i remember seeing him there earlier , maybe last week or so . But DONAVAN RIOLA was on the squad with AH YOU and RIOLA is on the roster as a CENTER with FRY and no sign of AH YOU . but thats cool , we all know that camp bodies are needed.

it was surprising to me that they had on the roster , PACE - BARRON at LT , and GORIN and GOLDBERG at RT.
    Rams roster per NFL.com
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

onslaught11 is offline Registered User

1. I love the Chris Long or VG pick.
    2. Grove, I am not so sure of; not because we have higher need, I just see him spending more time on IR than on the field. Just a feeling
    3. Steltz. I would be happy to take him in the 7th; not the 3rd. He reminds me of Adam Archuleta; good in hitting but sucks in coverage.
    4. Owen Schmitt. I love his attitude but I think he is more of a 6th rounder. He was so stiff at the Senior bowl practices.

5. Barton. I know nothing about him. If you mean Keenan Burton, then he is good value for the 5th.
    6. Lichi. I loved him at Bowling Green. But watching him at the Senior Bowl; he got exposed badly with his short arms. I don't see him making a roster or a career backup.
    6. Flynn. Decent pick. We need a QB we can groom. Berlin is just a waste of a roster space.
    7. Woodyard. Absolutely love this pick. He is a plain baller. I would not mind him being our SS. He does not do anything spectacular but he always seem to be around the ball.
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12