Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Judaxi
  • 2 Post By Rambos

Thread: Kyle Long, OT, Oregon

Action_Jackson is offline Registered User

Kyle Long, OT, Oregon

Brother of Chris Long

Has anyone seen much of him?

I was looking at a few mock drafts and he is projected to go to the Rams in the 3rd round.

Can we afford to address other needs in the first 2 rounds and hope he is available when we pick in the 3rd round?

Thoughts?

Rammed is offline Registered User

Re: Kyle Long, OT, Oregon

He's the most athletic of the Longs. Has all the tools and blood lines obviously. Has a rather strange route to football. Mostly because of lack of effort and getting by on his talent and size alone.

Sadly he got the flue during the Senior Bowl earlier in the week missing the padded practices. But he'll be ready to play tonight so that might be a chance for you to see him.

He doesn't strike me as a prospect to wait and hope for. Plus there's most likely a lot more talent at our first 3 picks to pass up at the position.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

I don't know where he'll pan out in terms of the draft, but we know that his genes say that he can do it at a pro-bowl level. We may be the best place for him, because he'll have to deal with his brother pushing him every day. Possibly even coming from the same side and directly pushing him.

I'd gladly take him if he's there in the 3rd.
    I believe!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Early in his career he had "maturity issues" (He frickin drank booze and partied in college, WOW sue the man!). So eventually he landed at Oregon and only played for 1 year. At the Senior bowl (first day) he looked better at OG than OT. Though he is extremely raw, he is the kind of player (size, weight, intelligence, bloodlines) that about 95% of coaches would love to get their hands on.

I think with Bou he could make a solid RT, and even if that wouldn't work he'd be solid at OG. I think Long will be a nice pick in the 3rd for someone.

THE DREAM TEAM

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

The Long's are starting to be like the Matthews clan, just spitting out all-Pro NFL talent at all directions lol. I say we sign him to be our future RT, but nowhere before the 4th round... possibly even 3rd round.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    The Long's are starting to be like the Matthews clan, just spitting out all-Pro NFL talent at all directions lol. I say we sign him to be our future RT, but nowhere before the 4th round... possibly even 3rd round.
    he's not going to last until round 4. If we don't get an OT in round 1 I would have no problem picking Long in round 3.

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    he's not going to last until round 4. If we don't get an OT in round 1 I would have no problem picking Long in round 3.
    Definitely agree, OT has to be addressed in the first part of the draft and I see Long as being as athletically gifted as any OT in the draft. Plus, imagine him and his bro Chris going at it in practice everyday... how can that kind of competition not improve his game

Judaxi is online now Registered User

Tell that to Casey Matthews lol
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Wouldn't that make for an interesting competition at practice every day Chris vs Kyle over and over ..

Rambos is offline Registered User

Here is my mock from three weeks ago, I had us taking him in the fourth RD. I would not take him any higher then a fourth. He has had off field issues in the past and he still is somewhat raw. He wanted to stay in school one more year because of his loss of time due to his off field issues but was denied.

Here is my first crack at it... After the last game has been played here is where I stand.

Free Agent
    Greg Jennings WR

Re-Sign
    Steven Jackson
    Danny Amendola
    William Hayes
    Rob Turner

Draft:
    Rd 1 - Chance Warmack, OG, Bama
    Rd 1 - Tyler Eifert, TE, Florida
    Rd 2 - Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
    Rd 3 - Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
    Rd 4 - Kyle Long, OT, Oregon
    MauiRam and THOLTFAN81 like this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Here is my mock from three weeks ago, I had us taking him in the fourth RD. I would not take him any higher then a fourth. He has had off field issues in the past and he still is somewhat raw. He wanted to stay in school one more year because of his loss of time due to his off field issues but was denied.

Draft:
    Rd 1 - Chance Warmack, OG, Bama
    Rd 1 - Tyler Eifert, TE, Florida
    Rd 2 - Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
    Rd 3 - Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
    Rd 4 - Kyle Long, OT, Oregon
    That would be a really sweet draft! It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Kyle to come off the board. Somehow I think he doesn't last much past the third - we'll see bye and bye ..

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Awesome mock draft, but Eifert is from Notre Dame not Florida. All I know is that if the Rams were able to get both Warmack and Eifert in the 1st round, I'd be thanking the football gods. Unfortunately, I doubt that Warmack will last until the 16th pick, and I'd rather the Rams trade down and try to pick up an additional 2nd rounder instead of reaching for a position of need.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

Rambos, with his potential and his bloodlines, he will go much higher than our 4th round pick. I would easily expect him to be top 100, despite his off the field issues. I mean, the kid was immature, but it's not like he was busted for drugs or knocked up multiple women. His off the field issues are pretty small. Further, don't you think that with our good line coach and the fact that he'll have his brother on him to make sure he's being a good citizen that he could reach his full potential?

I don't know if he's worth our 2nd round pick, but I'd jump on him if he's there in the 3rd. Lots more time before we could say where he fits, but as maybe the 6th best OT, he'll probably go in the 2nd.
    I believe!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Rambos, with his potential and his bloodlines, he will go much higher than our 4th round pick. I would easily expect him to be top 100, despite his off the field issues. I mean, the kid was immature, but it's not like he was busted for drugs or knocked up multiple women. His off the field issues are pretty small. Further, don't you think that with our good line coach and the fact that he'll have his brother on him to make sure he's being a good citizen that he could reach his full potential?

I don't know if he's worth our 2nd round pick, but I'd jump on him if he's there in the 3rd. Lots more time before we could say where he fits, but as maybe the 6th best OT, he'll probably go in the 2nd.
    The best thing he has going for him is his blood line, if he was anybody else with one year at Oregon where he rotated at LT and then moved inside to guard. He should not be taken higher then a 4th IMO. He's raw and has a huge upside that why I would take a flyer on him in the 4th. Compound that with his past which includes a chemical dependency and a DUI.

In the third round I think we could get a stater at safety or a starter on the O line. I don't think Long will be a starter day one.

Long, who began his career at Florida State in 2008 as a baseball player, then left school after falling behind academically, has appealed to the NCAA for another year of eligibility. He has applied for a medical hardship on the basis of chemical dependency, which led to his struggles at Florida State and a DUI arrest shortly after leaving school.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I'd love to grab Long in round 3. Still hoping that Gm's do what they always do and pass on Warmack's talent because he's a guard. Adding both Long and Warmack with Rok return would increase our lines athletic ability and talent a lot.